Best transmission/differential oil

relative4

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ONLY,

Subaru Extra-S

Amsoil Severgear 75w-90

3qt's Redline lightweight shockproof and .8qt Motul 300 in the tranny and .8qt Motul 300 in the rear diff.

Oh did you understand, ONLY ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

3qt's Redline lightweight shockproof and .8qt Motul 300 in the tranny and .8qt Motul 300 in the rear diff.

+1

I just swapped to this fluid setup per Max's recommendation and I couldn't be happier. The transmission seems to be happy too- shifts are much smoother, trans. is much quieter, etc.

I was looking into Extra-S when I couldn't find any Motul/Redline locally; my local dealership doesn't even stock Extra-S. Really?!

I've used many different gear oil set ups in my 5 speed over 12 years even famous "cocktails". The best fluid in my trans was Motul gear 300. Redline was second, and extra s was third. The motul gave me a very smooth shift and seemed to last the longest. Extra-s was great for maybe 3-5k miles but wasn't nearly as smooth as motul and didn't last as long feel wise. That's just my experience though. Figured I'd share since I've used so many different combinations in my trans.

Interesting. I've been running 1 quart Extra-S and 2.8 of Redline LWSP for about 20K now. It's been great and when I drained/refilled after 15K, the fluid looked great and no difference in feel between what was used and a fresh fill (although significant improvement from what was in it from the PO). This was on recommendation of my Subaru performance shop and I'm quite happy with it.

^^^the only reason to run the "uncle Scotty's" cocktail is a last ditch effort to try to fix a grinding gear.

Hmm.. or it could just be that the 5mt feels much better with the mix. It could also be that the mix gives the trannies the right film thickness and viscosity. I'm no expert, but I wholeheartedly disagree.. The reason the mix fixes a grinding gear is that it is the best of both worlds- it keeps the gears happy, as well as allows the synchro's to function properly.

The reason the mix fixes a grinding gear is that it is the best of both worlds- it keeps the gears happy, as well as allows the synchro's to function properly.

Isn't that what we're all looking to do. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Hmm.. or it could just be that the 5mt feels much better with the mix. It could also be that the mix gives the trannies the right film thickness and viscosity. I'm no expert, but I wholeheartedly disagree.. The reason the mix fixes a grinding gear is that it is the best of both worlds- it keeps the gears happy, as well as allows the synchro's to function properly.

Not trying to sound ride or anything but I've been in this game a long time so I've seen a lot of things. Someone did an oil analysis with that set up. While it helps you shift smooth and feels great there is something in there that hates the bearings. Not saying it'll destroy them quick but they will go out faster then if you were running just gear oil. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Not trying to sound ride or anything but I've been in this game a long time so I've seen a lot of things. Someone did an oil analysis with that set up. While it helps you shift smooth and feels great there is something in there that hates the bearings. Not saying it'll destroy them quick but they will go out faster then if you were running just gear oil. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Please do- Sound's like a good read.

I know many people who are running redline's shock proof or superlight shock proof, though it says on their website it shouldn't be used in sychro'd transmissions unless they see high loads (racing trans). I use MTL in the trans in the bimmer and 75-90 in the diff. For the scubby I'm using good 'ole extra-s

I know many people who are running redline's shock proof or superlight shock proof, though it says on their website it shouldn't be used in sychro'd transmissions unless they see high loads (racing trans). I use MTL in the trans in the bimmer and 75-90 in the diff. For the scubby I'm using good 'ole extra-s

I'm running shockproof/motul 300... Because RACECAR.

ONLY,

Subaru Extra-S

Amsoil Severgear 75w-90

Yea... there is a difference between uncle scotty's mix and the redline sp/motul mix- Synchromesh.

This is what I was referring to. Again it's meant to be a band aid not something you run as a fluid option.

Prove it.

:rolleyes: umm the link was posted, read it. In the end it's your car and you can do whatever you want. I just find it funny that people are running this as a fluid option. Just because people play Subaru forum whisper down the lane and now people think it's good for you're car doesn't make it right. From someone who has actually run tons of different options in a Subaru 5 speed I'm saying unless you have some grinding issues and needs a band aid there is zero reason to run shockproof on a daily driven stock box. If you feel that you are a trans fluid expert and what everyone else has posted means its right knock yourself out.

Yup. A link was posted to a thread without any sort of credibility. So, again I ask for proof. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.. I'm just looking for some facts, not some people speculating.

Dylan from ds1 is very knowledgeable. More knowledgable then you and I. It's more valid by some newb who's never even split a 5 speed before stating that a fluid is good for a trans or not. He does however state that for shockproof since it has a very high sulfur content should be cautiously used because it can eat syncros. If you would like to you can go on redlines site and find it. I have nothing to prove to you. You can choose to believe it or newbishly not. If you start having issues shoot me a pm and I'll rebuild your trans for you.

Dylan from ds1 is very knowledgeable. More knowledgable then you and I. It's more valid by some newb who's never even split a 5 speed before stating that a fluid is good for a trans or not. He does however state that for shockproof since it has a very high sulfur content should be cautiously used because it can eat syncros. If you would like to you can go on redlines site and find it. I have nothing to prove to you. You can choose to believe it or newbishly not. If you start having issues shoot me a pm and I'll rebuild your trans for you.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm just fishing for an interesting read. The thread posted was not an interesting read- it was more or less speculation. It's not that I don't believe you, I don't believe most of what I read. There are few people on the internet who aren't just talking out of their ass.. I was giving you an opportunity to bring some positive, reliable information to the discussion. You don't have to prove $hit to me- frankly I don't care one way or the other.

And thanks, but if I have tranny problems I'll fix them myself.

ONLY,

Subaru Extra-S

Amsoil Severgear 75w-90

amsoil compleatly screwed with my 5MT, the synchros were very very very unhappy goign 4th to 5th 5th to 4th and occasionaly 3rd to 4th

i kept it in the rear diff but got it out of my trans ASAP

amsoil compleatly screwed with my 5MT, the synchros were very very very unhappy goign 4th to 5th 5th to 4th and occasionaly 3rd to 4th

i kept it in the rear diff but got it out of my trans ASAP

If your having issues with the synchros, I'm guessing you had issues before the Amsoil.

I also see you have a 2.5i do they have the requirements as the 5 and 6mt in the GT's ?

HAMMERDOWN has been using this stuff in his mt for a long time. Both my cars have over 40,000 combinded miles on the stuff. Both will get it replaced before next winter with more of the same.

The redline and Motul may help the synchros if you catch it before they are to bad.

Archived