LegacyGT.com

Korean BBQ and Soju

mrjk77

who's korean or likes korean bbq?

anyone up for meeting to get some galbi, soju, banchan somewhere?

i only know of the places in the boston area. chung gi wa in medford is one my favorites. koreana in central sq., cambridge, buk kyoung (somerville and allston), colors. my friend also tells me there's a good place wayyy out in amherst!

there's a korean fried chicken place too that opened up in allston, on comm. ave/harvard ave.

that way i can see how many koreans own a legacy. lol.

just throwing the idea out there. :p

WHEN: Friday, April 17, 2009

TIME: 6:30 pm meet. 7:00 pm bbq goodness.

WHERE: Min Sok, Brookline

1. mrjk77 (jeff)

2. katalyst

3. Ryouske

4. JaeGT

5. jxjjang + bro

6. bmononana + gf (who LOVES korean food!)

7. rice_rocket

8. superhawkLGT

9. ClimberD

10. GTTuner + wife

11. eb50 + 1

12. fzanetti

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i couldn't jack the official northeast spotted thread. lol.

don't know the name of the place, but i saw it the other week...it's on comm heading west, near the corner of harvard ave.

there's also yasu in coolidge corner. and there's another korean place...errr...forgot the name...up havard ave even more near brookline village. that place wasn't too bad either.

lol, you actualyl started your own thread

:whore: lol

i've been to koreana, buk-kyung, and colors. havent been to chung gi wa. i think colors is more of a small luncheon/cafe'ish.. and i do mean SMALL... lol. wat makes chung gi wa a favorite?

I'd be down to try food from my nationality that I don't know, haha. I can get some insight into my inner Korean.

yeah man, i guarantee that you will like it. even if you never had it before, there's a genetic component that will make you go mmm mmmm mmm.

:whore: lol

i've been to koreana, buk-kyung, and colors. havent been to chung gi wa. i think colors is more of a small luncheon/cafe'ish.. and i do mean SMALL... lol. wat makes chung gi wa a favorite?

yeah, colors is a very small place. chung gi wa is just the best bbq i've had in MA. but it still doesn't even compare to the bbq i've had in LA, or even NYC or NJ.

Soju, ftw! A friend who was in the reserves brought some home and....wow! That is strong and very good!

soju + bbq is like peanut butter + jelly. i dunno how else to describe it. :)

i heard about the new place in burlington. man all these places are so far from me!! :(

the ones in amherst suck compared to boston. if we're doing kalbi, i'd say kaya in porter square has the best. bu-kyung II in allston has awesome kkampoongi and soondubu jjigae. koreana's just decent all-around, i suppose.

haha those are my two cents. but yeah, it'll be tough for me to come out because i'm on a 65-70 hour work week, but i'll see what i can do!

whats soju? (yeah i can look it up but rather read your description)

speaking of fried chicken, there is a place on Mass Ave called the Hen House (I think) that serves fried chicken and waffles. It's a southern thing I guess. Anyway, its awesome, I'd recommend you check it out if you like fried chicken and/or waffles.

what's this place in burlington? i know of the run-down dingy looking place, near the mall. been there and it's good, but not spectacular. there's an H-MART coming to burlington!! woot.

kaya is good too. buk kyung > buk kyung II IMO. kkampoongi is great tho. sadly parking is one thing to consider...so the burlington place might not be a bad idea. plus the boston guys can meet and drive up?

wtf is this 65-70 hrs/week? you work too much.

alex: SOJU = nectar of the gods. jk jk. seriously tho. it's korean rice liquor...similar to japanese sake. i think these days they don't use 100% rice anymore, but i'd have to check. it's anywhere from 12 (girly, flavored stuff) - 25% alcohol. soju originally was upwards of 30-35%, but back after the korean war, when korea was being more industrialized and international, they wanted to make soju more marketable and tastier to westerners.

anyway, i personally think it's great. it's some you just have to try. haha. jinro (참 이슬) or 산소주 FTW. :p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Soju_jinro_gfdl.jpg

I'm not korean either, but I'd be down to meet for some Korean BBQ - and this Soju character sounds like my kinda beverage. You guys do it right, the strongest stuff us americans have is bathtub made moonshine. <-:mad:

Anyways, I'm in Acton, so any of the boston area places sound good to me.

That green stuff makes my blood boil! :p I have only tried a few different soju that I like.

I have been to 99% of all those.. and don't have an exact favorite yet. Best bang for buck though have been the ones around Allston/Brighton, but no parking.. boo.

Looks like this thread got so popular it was on the first page of "new posts" that I always browse. Yippee for another NE meet.

well my brother lives in allston and he loves driving my car so i guess i have a DD for the night if i come :) fri or sat nights work best for me. if you guys gimme a couple weeks advance notice, i may be able to take sat off so i can meet on a friday night.

and there's another korean place...errr...forgot the name...up havard ave even more near brookline village. that place wasn't too bad either.

is that one minsok?? it's like korean/japanese

but yeah it prob would be better to meet outside the city for more parking and etc. i didn't know there was an h-mart in burlington, wtf?? i've been missing out

chung gi wa is just the best bbq i've had in MA. but it still doesn't even compare to the bbq i've had in LA, or even NYC or NJ.

omg. you definately CANNOT compare MA to LA/NYC/NJ korean food... they have freaking korean buffet out there!!! :wub: all you can eat korean food... a STEAL!!! but then living there could be expense hell xP cant have everything :lol:

^^ yeah, i've been there. any place you go to you'll end up smelling like bbq. but that's a bad thing? :p and do they have soju there? it's been about a year and a half since i've been up there. i feel like soju is absolutely necessary when you're talking about bbq.

i know i wasn't trying to compare bbq here to la/nyc/nj bbq. i'm just saying! omg $15 all you can eat bbq in la. we could do a x-country drive/meet in LA for bbq! in KOREA its #1. :p

Archived