LegacyGT.com

Should I buy this?

Currently a 2.5i owner. Recently this ad popped up in my area

http://utica.craigslist.org/cto/4525869321.html

I asked them why the turbo blew again they said "he did not hook up all the hoses I had that corrected any the air sensor replaced and it went after they were corrected. In the mean time we had the timing belt and another wheel bearing replaced. The car is too fast for my son so I got another"

The car kbbs for about 2650 if it was working perfectly fine but it probably needs a new turbo. I asked if they'll take 1800 cuz it's pretty much a shell and they think it's worth 3600 low cuz the bank said so. The car does run, it does have a clean title and they would honor 2795 on the as cuz their son listed it that.

Maybe it's something simple where I could flush the oil a couple times like a friend told me or maybe it's just not worth 2795 in the first place with that much milage and some slight surface rust by the quarter panel. Thoughts? I should check it out first though is the first step or would it be a wasted trip?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/22/bupe7yhe.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/22/a9u2ytan.jpg

Not a chance in hell you should buy that.

If you're prepared to put 3k-7k into it, sure go ahead. Then you'll have a beat down rusty car with a newish motor. If you're ok with a beat down rusty car with a new motor for $6k-$10k, sure do it.

So idk anything about turbos and how bad it'll screw up the motor so can you explain why it might need one? Like could the turbo not get oil, overheat and send metal into the block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would consider it... It's possible that the turbo was installed poorly or it's also possible that the motor may be on its way out.... It's also possible that they know this and that's why they are selling... If you can get it for cheaper than asking price and get a remaned engine for about 3600... You'll still have an awesome car... For less than 6k..... If troy know your way around these cars then it would be a good deal. If this is your 1st turbo, I would really go into it knowing you may need a new motor...

Point I'm trying to make is ask more questions around why n how the 1st failure happened. Also Questions around how the 2 failure happened. How long it was driven after each failure, coz maybe they did not replace all they needed to replace from 1st failure and that subsequently caused 2nd failure...

Ask if the ocv on turbo side was replaced, if 1st failure was due to starvation and that wasn't changed its possible that's what caused the 2nd failure....

If the banjo filters were still present on car at time of failure that may need inspection and may have also saved particles from entering oil system...

There are so many variables. All said always plan for the worst which would be a motor.. but again there are plenty stock rebuilt motors for sale...

Good luck..These cars are loads of fun to drive....loads.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Yep. Exactly. There is TONS of info on here in sticky threads. Take a look.

Blown turbo means new long block 90% of the time, maybe more.

it's more like 65% of the time..... it all depends on how the turbo went out...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I would consider it... It's possible that the turbo was installed poorly or it's also possible that the motor may be on its way out.... It's also possible that they know this and that's why they are selling... If you can get it for cheaper than asking price and get a remaned engine for about 3600... . .(and that's where I stopped reading.)

STFU noob.

Votes Tally:

Don't Buy It: Multiple.

Take Your Chances: BJwrongo.

OP, keep fishing -- You're on here enough and you know how often the cars come up for sale, which is plenty. And many of them have the same problems as that one, just well hidden until after they've gone home with their new owners. :p

If you simply MUST have that particular one, and can get it for such a low price, you could consider financing at a CU and have it rebuilt. Most Credit Unions will loan up to 120% of the vehicle's value (NADA Clean Retail) sight unseen. This means you could potentially finance almost 8k for something you've gotten for less than 3. Hand the private seller 3k and enjoy the other 5k to start your engine rebuild adventure -- Up front, 5 will get you started pretty well.

Do you have a Subaru specialty shop in your area? Maybe see if one of them will come out to inspect it for you and see if there's any head damage. If you can reasonable estimate that the heads are in reusable condition and that it only needs a shortblock, then you might end up getting away OK.

Food for thought -

Sheesh, wish LGT's would turn up in this region for <8k

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

They turn up occasionally with the same problems, but since we're nearly the Subaru capitol, even a private seller will still try to ask 6k. :lol:

No kidding. I did see a OBXT when I was searching for a subie. It had ~180k miles, supposed burnt valve, out of state plates and they were still asking 7k.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Lol I was looking at that one as a fixer upper but after he sent me pics saw it was auto. It's a nice car. He told me he has wiggle room in the price so find out was his bottom dollar is and offer him 300 less. Bring it home pull the turbo feed line screen out and slap a turbo on.

I paid 3000 for mine neels head gaskets and a rad. New turbo tho..

I'm going up to my local subaru dealership to ask and see what they think. In my area I have not seen a deal like this come up at all and I love the color and all the fully loaded options it has which can't hurt the value when it is fixed. It is an auto that's ok autos are everywhere. Idk about crediting it and I do see deals popping up all over the forums but that doesn't mean I read lgt car troubles if I have no idea what's wrong with it

The first turbo was replaced around 77k and the second around 169k. So again I don't know much but that's a long life for a turbo right? Just installed wrong the 2nd time?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/23/azevumus.jpg

I'm going up to my local subaru dealership to ask and see what they think. In my area I have not seen a deal like this come up at all and I love the color and all the fully loaded options it has which can't hurt the value when it is fixed. It is an auto that's ok autos are everywhere. Idk about crediting it and I do see deals popping up all over the forums but that doesn't mean I read lgt car troubles if I have no idea what's wrong with it

Stop. Stop right there. DO NOT goto the dealership for advice, or repairs. You go there to tell them what you need; not the other way around.

There were only two types of LGTs : Non-Limited and Limited. It's rare to find a non-limited; the "fully loaded" options you speak of are standard on pretty much any LGT you'll find.

It's a good deal because it's GOING to need to work. That said, if you can swing the 3k and still keep your 2.5, you can work on this over time and rebuild the short or long block, whatever it needs -

It's a good deal because it's GOING to need to work. That said, if you can swing the 3k and still keep your 2.5, you can work on this over time and rebuild the short or long block, whatever it needs -

If this were you would you pay that much for it though? I really do want it what would you try and talk him down to?

Because I'm still in the throes of my current rebuild, my judgement here should be taken as crazy and not perfectly sane advice.

But yes, if I had the 3k to score it, I'd buy it.

It all depends on how much money you wanna drop into it. The long and short of it is that you're not gonna get lucky and score a good running, problem free LGT for 3k plus the cost of a new turbo.

Short block and gasket kit is gonna be $2k. Cross your fingers that you don't need new head castings -- They're $500 per side and they come empty. A new turbo is gonna run you at least $500, likely $700-$750 for something good. Add another $400 for headwork. You could use the old headbolts, but, when the ARP studs are only $185 -- why not?

. . And there's all the other stuff you're gonna need along the way -- hoses, nuts, bolts, etc. It has almost 180k on the clock -- there's probably a decent shopping list of stuff that's gonna need to get replaced during the rebuild that you didn't plan on doing.

So would I do it? Well-- If I had the long term space (I'm "borrowing" a garage, currently), and a little bit more disposable income, and a girlfriend who would allow me to do this again, then yes, I'd do it.

But then again, I'm sick and kinda enjoy the engine work and whatnot.

Archived