LegacyGT.com

Tire cables for Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited

mimivroom

I love snowboarding. I go to Tahoe a lot, which is the main reason why I bought a Subaru. I took my car up once, during a storm, and it was very dangerous. I skidded a few times, but in the end, the car and I was safe. I'm thinking of obtaining a (snow) tire cable for my car. Is it recommended that I have all four cables on my tires or can I just buy a pair? Has anyone tried this before? I am scared of ruining my car, as I have bought the car back in September 2012. Thank you and I will appreciate your kind response.

Tires, tires, tires.

If you go to Tahoe often consider getting better tires. The OEM tires are pretty terrible in ice/snow. Either getting a set of dedicated winter tires (best) or Continental DWS all-seasons which have good snow performance. There's a night/day difference between snow tires and OEM all-seasons.

As for cables, front-wheels only, standard FWD rules apply (<25 mph, etc). You can definitely chain a Subaru, but really if conditions are that bad you probably don't want to be driving. I carry a set of cables in my trunk but haven't ever used them. Generally, they're not needed on I80, Hwy 50 by Kirkwood is another story though.

Archived