LegacyGT.com

Wont come out of park, new trans,

So I swapped a 4eat and then the car wouldn't come out of park, and also it wouldn't start, so i went under the car and trouble shooted that the cable is stretched and needs to be shorter because if i pushed back i could hear it click. Now its at the shortest setting on the threads, tomorrow im going to see what i can do and make it shorter, but i took off the cable and put it in the park position and the car started, but still wouldn't come out of park, I was thinking that the solenoid for the lockout only lifted up when the sensor knows its in park, the solenoid worked a week ago,

and the break lights go on, any ideas ? if not il just maybe manually bypass the solenoid forever, any downfalls ?

thanks

If the brake lights goes on too it seems to me that the electrical connector may have a different pinout than on the original box. (but why it has it is a different question)

That means that there may be other stuff too that won't work as it should.

Check the model plate on the old and new gearbox, it may give a clue.

453747.png

swap the inhibitor switch from the old trans to the new trans.

make sure the trans is in park and the shifter is in park before you reattach.

the car has to think you are in park, or neutral, and that the brake is on before it will energize the starter.

the trans are the same, just different years. there is something screwed up with the cable, inhibitor switch, or the shifter.

do not lengthen the cable, it does not need it.

disconnect the shifter cable and manually shif the trans into park. then shift the shift selector in to park. then re-attach and see if it works.

you have done something wrong. the trans are the same.

Yea its the same, i went to try it today, and bam worked, not sure why, maybe bad connection in the wire harness from sitting outside, now remeber I had put the old torque converter in, well its making noise !, il be posting a video in a few minutes, and u can hear what it sounds like, arggg i dont want to take out the tranny again

Archived