LegacyGT.com

Ebrake light on when cold

That light is also a low fluid indicator... possible your pads have worn down enough that the fluid level in the master cylinder is very close to the low level indicator. Possible that once the car heats up a little, some air in the system expands just enough to raise the level enough to turn off the light.

Or you have an electric gremlin.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Alright, I checked, and it is in the middle of max and min. So, unless that is considered low, I think I'm okay there.

Eliminate the possibility, top it off to the max line. You need to be positive when ruling out options while troubleshooting, IMO.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Eliminate the possibility, top it off to the max line. You need to be positive when ruling out options while troubleshooting, IMO.

Problem with that, idk what kind of fluid is in it, and I don't want to mix different types. After reading and searching the forums more, it seems to be cold weather+driving makes it do a false reading, saying it is low when it is not. When I get some cash, I'll redo the fluid. Thanks for the help guys.

rclark0032-It has been sitting outside for about 2 hours now, and it is around 50F. I'll check before I leave in the morning.

You will have to take apart the console / lever boot area to get a look see at the lever mechanism (don't remember what a '97 looks like even though I drove one for 2+ years). It should be pretty obvious once you get ot the mechanism - the switch will have a wire running to it and probably a plunger that moves in and out when you move the parking brake lever. I would shoot it full of electrical contact cleaner and see if that frees things up. Have you by chance spilled sugared pop (soda) in this area?
It is still ugly.

Have you by chance spilled sugared pop (soda) in this area?

Thanks, I have a copy of a service manual, so, I'll check it out after I get some brake fluid, and rule out low brake fluid. For the 4 months I've had it, I've never spilled anything down there, but, no telling what the past owners have done.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived