LegacyGT.com

Hot air from vents

JJK

Hi there, I own an 06 Legacy 2.5i 5MT (800 miles), it does not have the auto temp feature. When I start driving with the fan off, I still get hot air, much warmer than the outside temperature. It seems that it gets warmed up by the engine. I traded in a 97 Legacy GT, and never experienced anything like that, and the warm air continues for a long time. Has any of you noticed the same problem, and if so is there any solution to it?

Thank you for your assistance. otherwise I am very happy with my third consecutive Legacy.

If I turn the AC on the problem disappears until my next drive, but it seems to me the heating of the air in the ducts should not happen in the first place, at least not in a car like the Legacy.

I usually leave the recirc off to allow air to enter the cabin, is in this situation that I notice the warm air hitting my hands on the steering wheel as I drive. Of course the temperature dial is in the "cold" position and the a/c system is off.

What bothers me is that my 97 GT never gave me this little problem. Anyway I was wondering if anybody else had had this experience. I will also ask the dealer during my first service, but it seems I will have to endure warm hands on sunny days :(

I do notice much more air flowing through the vents when the HVAC is turned off in this car than any other I have owned. I find it annoying, but usually set the vents to the floor position before I shut off the controls so the air doesn't hit me in the face. Recirc function (auto climte controls) doesn't really stop the airflow when the HVAC is off, in my car anyways.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Air intake is from the cowl under the rear edge of the hood, catching heat from the engine bay.. Wouldn't it be nice if some of that functional scoop on the GTs diverted a stream of air to the interior?

I'd rather it all go to the TMIC:lol:

ignore him, he'll go away.

Air intake is from the cowl under the rear edge of the hood, catching heat from the engine bay.. Wouldn't it be nice if some of that functional scoop on the GTs diverted a stream of air to the interior?

That's what I thought. I had the same problem with my '04 WRX wagon.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

... When I start driving with the fan off, I still get hot air, much warmer than the outside temperature...

Is the heater on "defrost" when this happens? I found I was getting warm air even when the outside air was quite cool. The dealer told me it's designed to do that. Apparently, when the system is set on defrost, it always sends a little bit of warm air through to assist in clearing the windshield. When I took it off defrost, the air cooled off immediately.

• 1 year later...
I found the oly thing that help was to turn on the ac and set the temp down to 65, Then let it run until the air comes out clod the turn it off and then it's alot better.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived