LegacyGT.com

Why am I going through brake calipers like this?

gregrock1989

So back in October '15 I had my front right side brake caliper replaced by the dealer. The problem was excessive and intermittent shaking from the steering wheel at highway speeds that intensified even more when the brakes were used. Replacing the caliper fixed the problem.

Until in February '16 I had the same problem again. Took it back and they found that the LEFT front caliper was now seized. Had it replaced, no wheel shake until now.

I measured the temperatures of the rotors with a temperature gun and found that the right front rotor is twice as hot as the others. So it's pretty safe to say that the caliper that I had replaced less than a year ago is once again seized.

I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow, but does anyone know what they could possibly be doing wrong for this to keep happening? This is incredibly frustrating.

Aer you sure it was calipers they replaced and not rotors?

Ive never heard of a caliper causing vibration unless it had a loose bolt. However a warped rotor will vibrate every time. Esp if you say the rotor is getting hoter than the others. Ps. The rears will not get as hot as front because the front does most of the work.

If they really did do new calipers the next thing to check would be hoses thats the next most likely to make one side either hang up or not work and make the other side pick up the slack..

They charged me for brand new calipers so I assume that's what they replaced. They also charged me for brake fluid and and the invoice says that they serviced both front brakes each time. I know that they know to lubricate properly because they said that's what was causing the problem in the first place, but evidently it's something else.

I'm assuming my rotors are ok because if they weren't I'd be getting vibrations all the time instead of intermittently.

How would you determine if the hoses are at fault or not?

For what it's worth, I had swapped out my seized caliper for a remanufactured one...1 year later, it seized on me again. Luckily my current ones are holding up good.

I think the calipers are prone to seizing if rebuilt shotty. I was able to get replacements via the warranty on them. . .you should see if you have a warranty on your replacements

However, I would look into the rotors if it is shaking under braking consistently. If it's seized or seizing, they won't last more than a month at most.

Also, if you replace the rotors don't forget to bed the pads into the new rotors by doing 5 or 6 rounds of 60-0 hard braking. Let the brakes cool in between by driving a mile or two.

For what it's worth, I had swapped out my seized caliper for a remanufactured one...1 year later, it seized on me again. Luckily my current ones are holding up good.

I think the calipers are prone to seizing if rebuilt shotty. I was able to get replacements via the warranty on them. . .you should see if you have a warranty on your replacements

However, I would look into the rotors if it is shaking under braking consistently. If it's seized or seizing, they won't last more than a month at most.

Also, if you replace the rotors don't forget to bed the pads into the new rotors by doing 5 or 6 rounds of 60-0 hard braking. Let the brakes cool in between by driving a mile or two.

I don't think my calipers are remanufactured? I just talked to them, they said they used aftermarket Car Quest calipers. They cost half of what OEM ones do, and have a longer warranty. They're going to cover the cost of replacing the seized one. So I guess I just get it done and hope it doesn't seize up again. If it does I guess I have to shell out over $600 CAD for OEM calipers. :icon_sad:

If the calipers are causing vibration make sure that the pads and rotors are replaced at the same time. And keep in mind that a hose that has been streched will create an obstruction inside the hose and can make the caliper not release and or not aply pressure

If the calipers are causing vibration make sure that the pads and rotors are replaced at the same time. And keep in mind that a hose that has been streched will create an obstruction inside the hose and can make the caliper not release and or not aply pressure

This +1. If it continues replace both (preferrably all 4 since they're likely the same age) brake hoses. They can break internally and you'll get a flap of rubber that allows fluid to flow fine to the caliper but severely restricts flow from the caliper. This can happen via stretching but I see it more often when people just let calipers hang and bend the hose instead of using zipties or bungee cords to hang calipers.

• 2 months later...
I've had horrible luck with calipers lately. Replace both fronts with Centric remans. Both lasted just over a year. Replaced with Nugeon remans the 2nd time. Been about 7 months and one of those are seizing up on me now. When they start to seize it appears one of the pistons is sticking and will cause the shimmy/shake. I don't know what to do from here. I don't really enjoy replacing calipers every year. Has anyone had good luck with a specific brand or rebuilding them yourself?

Have they changed out all the brake fluid and verified the cap seals correctly on the reservoir ? I'd be wondering about water in the line if it's the piston seizing in the caliper. Is it possible that the caliper is seized/seizing on the slides instead ?

I'd also be suspicious of the hose from the hard line to the caliper. They can have issues that make it appear the caliper piston is seized.

Archived