LegacyGT.com

Clutch Longevity?

The throwout bearing on my '06 LGT went bad so I took it to my trusty Subaru shop (not dealer) to get it fixed. They told me that the labor to replace the TOB is the same as it is to replace the clutch and they asked me when the clutch was last replaced, since the car has 134k miles on it. They were pretty surprised when I told them the clutch was original. They see a lot of WRX's and LGT's and said it was very unusual to see an original clutch last that long. Based on that they said I should absolutely replace the clutch (and flywheel) so I said OK. When they pulled the tranny and clutch out they told me (kind of chagrined) that the clutch looks "great" and still has substantial life left in it. I told them to go ahead with the replacement anyway.

I was curious if their observation about original clutches not lasting that long tracks with what the members here have experienced.

Yes you should replace it. Read in the Transmission forum about which clutch's people like.

I'm happy with my Spec. I have over 75,000 miles on it.

Make sure you get a 07-09 single mass FW.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've got 111K miles on mine. Bought it at 39K so I dunno if it's the original or not but seems like it.

I think I will be swapping it out soon but it is not slipping. I don't baby it but I find it hard to believe that on a stock setup the clutch doesn't last very long (Seems like the tob is the weak link if anything). Maybe crappy drivers?

Again, I said on a stock setup....

When I pulled the one from my car at 149k it looked practically new. Apparently the po only did highway driving so even though the mileage was high clutch usage was low. It really depends on what kind of lashing its had in its life.

My wife had 115k on hers when TOB failed. The mechanic stated it was not worn out but replaced since there. The flywheel was fine her car and reused.

My wife is a gentle clutch driver so TOB must be a cruddy part. He previous Civic ran 210k miles on original clutch with her driving and was sold.

My wife had 115k on hers when TOB failed. The mechanic stated it was not worn out but replaced since there. The flywheel was fine her car and reused.

My wife is a gentle clutch driver so TOB must be a cruddy part. He previous Civic ran 210k miles on original clutch with her driving and was sold.

X2 for the civic clutch. My 92Si went to 196,000 miles fine, then when we boosted it at 8psi the clutch gave up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

190k. I've gone through two. first replacement was at around 90k and we put in an OEM dual mass. It lasted close to another 90k. replaced the 2nd with an OEM single mass from the 07-09. Love it
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived