LegacyGT.com

Flat tire question

legacy_y_tu

Okay guys, so today I picked up a bolt in my brand new Good year F1's :mad:. I pulled over to change it and since this is the first time I've had to put the spare on I read the manual. I wanted to be sure I had to pull the fuse since I thought that's what I remember reading here. The manual says: If you have an Automatic then you must pull the fuse: unless it's a Turbo or 3.0.

So according to the manual I don't have to pull the fuse since I have a GT . Is this right?? I thought we were supposed to pull the fuse. I did search too, so lay off if the info is out there as I didn't readily find it.

I read it again and it says to put a fuse in (not pull one out) to make the car FWD but only if it's not a turbo or 3.0. So apparently this only applies to those with the 4EAT (2.5i).

Again that's opposite of what I've heard people on hear saying. I've found a couple of mistakes in the manual prior to this and I want to make sure this isn't another one. I thought of calling the dealer but frankly I don't trust them to give me the right answer.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been able to find a definitive answer to the fuse question? I mean, for those of us with MY05 and newer and 5EAT turbo models, is there a fuse to put in / pull out to put the car into FWD when riding on the spare? I've looked at the manual, but this info has escaped me. In my old '98 OBW, there was a nice fuse holder on the passenger side near the firewall where a fuse would be inserted to disable the AWD. It's just not there on my '06 OBW.

I'd love to have an answer to this before I ever have to drive on the spare. :rolleyes:

Has anyone been able to find a definitive answer to the fuse question? I mean, for those of us with MY05 and newer and 5EAT turbo models, is there a fuse to put in / pull out to put the car into FWD when riding on the spare? I've looked at the manual, but this info has escaped me. In my old '98 OBW, there was a nice fuse holder on the passenger side near the firewall where a fuse would be inserted to disable the AWD. It's just not there on my '06 OBW.

I'd love to have an answer to this before I ever have to drive on the spare. :rolleyes:

It was in my manual, I don't remember the page though. If it makes you feel any better I drove around 300 miles with the donut on and still in AWD and haven't had any issues with the tranny/diff. My car is a 5EAT turbo also. My manual said to put a fuse IN to make FWD. I'll see if I can scan the page.

PS. I'd check the tire pressure of your spare. I found mine dangerously low when I had to put it on. Check it before you need to use it!!

LGT requires no fuse nonsense when riding on donut. From the manual...

NOTE

If your vehicle is an AWD type with an automatic

transmission but is neither a Turbo model nor a

3.0-liter model, deactivate its all-wheel-drive capability

as follows: Before driving your vehicle with

the temporary spare tire, put a spare fuse inside

the FWD connector located in the engine compartment

and confirm that the “ ” warning light

comes on. The all wheel drive capability of the vehicle

has now been deactivated. After re-installing

the conventional tire, remove the spare fuse from

the FWD connector in order to reactivate all wheel

drive.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I think the turbo compensates by spinning the donut faster causing it to increase in overall diameter (think top fuel dragster doing a burnout) to match the other three tires.

I put a BIG note (encased in a plastic slip cover) with clear instructions (and a copy of the tire shop's receipt since they offer free flat repair) on top of the spare tire so that whomever is changing a flat on our '02 Outback will see it.

Who cares if the manual MIGHT have a misprint? If SOA got this wrong and your trans was ruined, I think you would have an extremely good case to get the repairs free of charge, so I doubt this info in the manual is wrong. No fuse insertion for current generation auto trans turbo models.

It is still ugly.

Archived