LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT Wagon w/ 89k - What to do?

I might get torched for this, but I need some advice, so here goes

I got my '05 LGT 5MT Wagon 3.5 years ago with 35k on the odo. I have 89k on the odo now, and I still owe $7k (I rolled in some $ from a previous car).

Car has been obviously great, but now I feel like I've come to pivot -- Either I sell now (while the miles still make it attractive to another buyer), or I keep it for the long haul (and not expect to get anything for it later).

Part of me wants something new, but there isn't anything out there matching exactly what I want (manual wagon that's not a turd), and the other stuff is much more expensive.

So, do I dig in for the long haul and, if so, what am I facing in terms of maintenance/repairs? And if I keep it for the long haul, do I finally spend the $500 to get an AP (I never wanted before in case I was going to sell the car -- I wanted to sell it as being "stock")? Or should I avoid adding one at this point?

Or do I sell it now, shed the $7k, and look for something newer?

I can live paying down the $7k to keep this car, I'm just afraid that I'll start incurring substantial repair and maintenance bills. I'm starting to see some small issues here and there, and I am afraid it's coming. Also, should I steer clear of the AP if I'm afraid of added repair costs?

Thanks.

Keep the car. You have a manual wagon. Keep it in good shape. Do all the maintenance, Keep all of the records. Get a APv2 and flash stg 1. You'll have a renewed joy for your car.

In a few years after you've paid off the car, it WILL be worth something considering you've kept it in good condition.

As you've discovered, performance manual wagons have gone the way of the Dodo. Maybe by the time you're finally ready to sell, CTS-V wagons will be in your price range.

Keep it, and add some mods. Stay on your maintenance in the meantime, because 89k miles isn't much, bought my LGT 5mt wagon last year with 106k miles.

JDM rear sway bar and some mild lowering springs, Cobb AP, UP and DP. You'll basically have a new car.

What color is your's, mine one of 108 made in black.

Keep it get Cobb AP v2 and flash to stage 1. Where did I read that before...

Keep an eye on the oil level, top it off as needed.

Save up for a turbo just in case. Learn how the turbo sounds. If the sound changes ask us about it. Mine whined for about a 1000 miles before it whistled one morning when leaving the house. I parked it and replaced the turbo, with no engine damage.

Mine has been on a stage 1 or better tune since 8000 miles.

Read on here and find out more about the car and become a active member.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks for all the responses.

It's RGP.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a great car, and I don't know what else I would even get (unless I was in a position to spend a lot more).

I've been debating getting the AP to convince myself just to keep it (I'm sure it will do the trick in that regard), but I'm concerned about having to spend an additional couple of grand on maintenance/repairs (either with or without the AP) in the next year or two just to decide it's no longer worth keeping it after I'm at 110k+ mi. and with an AP, making it all the less desirable for someone else, you know?

It seems like the choice is: sell it now or drive it another 60k miles.

I'm stupid

Did you have the timing belt changed at 105,000 miles ?

These cars are better when they are not on the OEM tune. Get the car off of that.

Save your money and keep the car. Put some money aside for repairs.

At least you know what you got and not someone problem they sold...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^you have to read the whole sentence. If you just read the bolded, you'll get confused ;)

"but I'm concerned about having to spend an additional couple of grand on maintenance/repairs in the next year or two just to decide it's no longer worth keeping it after I'm at 110k+ mi. and with an AP, making it all the less desirable for someone else, you know?"

"rare" only means something if someone is willing to pay a premium to get their hands on that "rare" item.

I'd be happy to sell my white, manual, black leather, limited wagon. But alas, nobody cares how "rare" it is when it comes to giving me a check. :(

^exactly.

I'm not saying it wouldn't sell. Hell, I bought it. But my point is, I can't list this thing for $18K and expect it to be gone tomorrow. I still have to ask a realistic number for it as the "rarity" does not add any real value, just appeal.

On par with adding granite countertops in your kitchen. They wont make your house appraise for more, but for the right buyer, they would choose your house over the one next door.

People will pay real dollars for a car that is rare.

If you want to demand $5k over market value then no you won't sell your car. But all other things equal you could potentially expect $1k more for your wagon then a silver LGT 5mt wagon with tan interior, $2k over that if the other wagon is a auto trans. Out on the street you might have to settle for less, but here at LGT.com that's a gem you have in your wagon.

As a soon- to- be legacy consumer I can confirm that I would indeed pay more for a 5mt wagon. That is probably just because I favor the wagon though. If I liked the sedans more the rarity of a manual wagon would have no affect on me.

Well spoken Boozer and silvaman. The point I was making is; a used-car lot or website seldom has a 5MT Wagon for sale, because less were made, and those who have them seldom sell...hence the 'rarity'. It's in this light I was informing the OP of the 'gem' he has and that he should keep it. Should he decide to do otherwise, he can surely fetch a decent price compared to an equal 5MT Sedan.

I'm in a similar situation, closing in on 90K miles. AFAIK still has the original turbo. Have only done a couple minor mods like tinted rear windows, slotted rotors and a lightweight crank pulley.

Have had the car for 4 years, the less than stellar MPG (17-18) wasn't a big deal when I was only driving around ~5K miles a year and getting plenty of OT at work. But now that I drive closer to 8K miles, gas is near $4/gal again and don't get as much OT, I've thought of trading it in for a new Impreza. Yeah 0-60 in 9+ seconds vs 6 is gonna suck but 27MPG on regular vs 17-18MPG on premium makes up for it.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived