LegacyGT.com

Crazy Talk: Anyone do data logging on linux?

urs1ne

So I have an android cell phone which is basically a linux computer, I can do a lot of fun development type things with it but I am hoping to find someone that knows how to connect a computer to a car with linux. I am hoping if you are a bit knowledgeable we can work backwards and try to figure out the differences so I can get it working on my phone. I know I am shooting in the dark here but I would rather ask you guys first and hey, you gotta start somewhere. :)
^ n00bs below this line

Romraider is available for the linux platform, but I don't think many people use it. You're better off posting over on romraider forums.

As for the android, I wouldn't call it a "linux computer". A 528mhz ARM cpu isn't going to log a whole lot of parameters with much resolution imo.

SSM runs at 4800 baud, like modems in the 1980s. 500mhz should be plenty of processing power if you can get even just 1/5th of it.

Do you have a way to connect the phone to the car's diagnostic port?

The cable I have from Cobb is usb mini so it plugs in to the phone fine. It doesnt have a bunch of power but it should have as much if not more than the AP from Cobb which can data log. What I am hoping to accomplish is normal data logging with the addition of GPS and G forces. In theory full racing telemetry from a simple app on your phone and the correct cable.
^ n00bs below this line

SSM runs at 4800 baud, like modems in the 1980s. 500mhz should be plenty of processing power if you can get even just 1/5th of it.

Do you have a way to connect the phone to the car's diagnostic port?

I guess if you're just data logging to a file and not graphically outputting gauges with romraider it will probably have enough power. I noticed after trying several laptops that I get much better logging resolution and less freezing issues with a duo core over an older p3.

• 2 months later...
Hey urs1ne, did you ever get this working? I'll probably be getting a new phone in the next few months and romraider would be really cool to play with on the phone instead of lugging my 7 year old Celeron XP laptop around (and the power cable and power inverter because the battery is fried).

Archived