LegacyGT.com

Scratched delrin knob, how to polish?

So, I scratched my delrin knob, then I used sand paper that is clearly not fine enough grit to start a polishing process. It looks and feels like crap now. Any ideas/tips to fix it and give it back the nice brushed finish it had when new?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Probably the only way to do it is to use finer and finer sandpaper. Work way to a 2000 or 3000 grit and finish with polish. For the final step, I might try squirting polish into a rag, then figuring out how to chuck up the shift knob in a drill.

Oops, just realized you want a brushed look. Can't help you there. Unless you sand it fine and finish with a bead blaster.

Uhmm.... Well, not really. You could sand it down so it is smooth, polish the hell out of it with metal polish to make it shiny, and then brush it again with steel wool. That would do the trick. Kind of a lot of work, but if it were mine then I'd take the time to do it.

Bah... who am I kidding? I would have figured some way to wrap it with carbon fiber by now. lol Seriously though, the only real way to repair brushed metal is to sand it all down, polish it up, and then re-brush it. Either that or live with it. ...or get a new one. (or wrap it with carbon fiber)

BTW... I'm in Salt Lake too. Taylorsville, more specifically, but still close enough. If you want me to take a look at it to see if it can be fixed then just let me know.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

So, I scratched my delrin knob, then I used sand paper that is clearly not fine enough grit to start a polishing process. It looks and feels like crap now. Any ideas/tips to fix it and give it back the nice brushed finish it had when new?

Red Scotchbrite pad and a lathe or drill to spin the knob. My Cobb knob turned shiny after a few years use, so I brought back the matte "brushed" look that it came with. If your knob has a metal piece at the bottom like the Cobb knob, be sure to protect it with some painters tape so you don't alter the finish on that portion of the knob.

-CB

Thanks you were actually the guy I was hoping would reply! I didn't know you were in t ville, I'm in west Jordan. It's not a metal knob though, it's delrin, that hard plastic stuff. I had a guy from Rocky mountain Subarus offer to throw it on his lathe and polish it up for me. We'll see how it turns out.

Your detailing posts and site have made me want to get a polisher and do some detailing on the side. Thanks for the offer, I'll have to hit u up for detailing tips!

Archived