LegacyGT.com

Lowering 2nd Gen Legacy Outback w/ WRX Suspension Clunking/Knocking

Hello all, I'm new here and in need of help with a problem that arose while lowering my 1996 Legacy Outback on 03 WRX wagon struts with Eibach lowering springs. After the install (which went smoothly, everything bolted right up), during the first drive I experienced a rhythmic clunking/knocking vibration coming from the front driver side wheel. Using process of elimination I figured out that it isn't a tire issue, wheel bearing issue, strut issue, or any other common issues that might cause this, so I decided it must be something to do with the CV axle. I installed a brand new CV axle and took the car out again. The problem became even worse and now I can feel the clunking/knocking vibration from the passanger side front wheel too. I'm at a loss as to how to remedy this problem. I haven't read about this being a problem for anyone else performing the same swap so there's no reason for me to believe this is a common problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

I dont remember if the trans cross member sits at a different position so that might need to be changed to a GT one. Also the rear diff holder ( front portion tht 4 bolts pass through ) might be different so you may need a GT one of those as well.

I dont remember if the trans cross member sits at a different position so that might need to be changed to a GT one. Also the rear diff holder ( front portion tht 4 bolts pass through ) might be different so you may need a GT one of those as well.

I'd like to figure out for sure if I'll need to change those because I don't have the resources at the moment if I have to swap those as well. It's my daily driver so I'll need it again soon.

So front and rear subframe spacers out.

I have to verify the trans crossmember

Also thinking the driveshaft central support might be different

Front diff holder( where 4 bolts pass through diff )

And that should have you good to go. Cause when removing the spacers its lowering the body and that causes driveline to lower also so things won't line up properly.

I am pretty sure there is a thread somewhere here on this forum, or possible nasioc that describes the whole process. The strut and spring setup you used is a direct fit, but it causes interference with other components. Most people dont mind the half A** way until something breaks but if you want to do it right these are the necessary steps.

Also I think most people dont know or realize the outback has the lifted body and longer struts.

Archived