LegacyGT.com

I hate asking for advice...but I always get the best here

subaruowner840

I've had problems with brake pulsation and vibration "warped rotor" a few times. Turning the rotors fixed it in the past. This time at around 84K I replaced the rotors and pads with NAPA's highest quality line. Didn't have the rotors turned, just cleaned the packaging oil off and installed. I did a pretty good pad set in. Nothing the like the sticky that's very detailed, but I was easy on the brakes for a while then moderately got aggressive just for break-in. No problems for a week or so...

Then I've got a freaking pulsation again :mad:. Only during light-moderate braking and only from 40-35mph. Felt in the pedal and steering wheel.

I'd like the input...

My guess is that the Napa premium pads may not be up to the task OR something in the bed-in process went awry. As iNVAR said did you make it a point not to come to a complete stop during the bed-in session?

For rotors the bed-in session needs to be longer and harder than just a pad bed-in and the cooling period is also longer to season the rotors. For pad bed-in we usually allow for a 15-20 min cool down period after bed-in. For rotors and pads we allow a 30-45 min cool down period. And for cool down I mean sitting parked for that time.

-mike

If it only does it from 40-35mph, it's not rotor warpage/pad deposits. You've got a harmonic issue of some sort. Confirm it only happens during a certain speed range, and then ensure your rotors are installed properly and begin checking mounts.

Buy Hawk HPS from AZPinstalls. That stopped my pulsating brake padel. In most cases the pads don't shed the dust well enough. Since I have put the HPS pads on, months ago, I have not had the issue return.

Oh, I also have my rotors cut on a flywheel surfacer not a lathe. My Machine Shop owner buddy does that to all the rotors now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If it only does it from 40-35mph, it's not rotor warpage/pad deposits. You've got a harmonic issue of some sort. Confirm it only happens during a certain speed range, and then ensure your rotors are installed properly and begin checking mounts.

I think you're onto something. My daily drive is mostly 40mph with around 10 total stops. About 24 miles a day roundtrip. When I installed the rotors and pads new I think I did really well. I wasn't doing my daily drive stop and go. I drove about 30 miles with some light and medium braking, and a few hard slowdowns without ever really stopping. The pads weren't sitting on hot rotors at any time.

It really only happens 40-35 during 1/3 pressure braking. Light braking, and harder braking - nothing.

Where would you start?

How about the slider? The sliders are more important to clean and grease than the clips.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fath, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

How about the slider? The sliders are more important to clean and grease than the clips.

-mike

We put enough brake grease anywhere the pad touches the caliper. I think this weekend I'm going to have my tires rotated, I'll make sure the lugs are torqued properly. Then I'll do an extensive pad set in again. I'll keep you updated. But all the advice, and any additional advice is certainly appreciated.

We put enough brake grease anywhere the pad touches the caliper. I think this weekend I'm going to have my tires rotated, I'll make sure the lugs are torqued properly. Then I'll do an extensive pad set in again. I'll keep you updated. But all the advice, and any additional advice is certainly appreciated.

The slider pins are not near the pads though. They are where the caliper attaches to the caliper bracket.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1(2971)| T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I had the same problem two times in a row. The dust boots on the caliper slider pins broke down and tore, allowing dirt to ge tin. This seized the slider pins. The problem went away when I rebuilt the calipers and changed to a fresh set of pads and rotors

Archived