LegacyGT.com

will a cold air intake and intake?

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223

From the TDC FAQ (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48882)

Q: Have you been able to prove that Intakes are a positive or negative mod for the LGT?

A: Yes and no. The stock airbox is relatively efficient for a VF40 staged Setup. A VF40 is a small turbo and doesn't necessiarily need an intake. Any reduction in restriction PRE turbo and POST turbo will help with airflow. An engine is an air pump, if you can get air in and out more efficiently it will run better and usually make more power . If you place an intake on this car PERIOD you need a tune for it. Placing ANY intake (except Cobbs, or so they claim) on an LGT of any power lever (stock to stage X) it needs a tune. The larger turbo you go with the more an intake is needed. This is because you are requiring more airflow and the stock airbox can become a restriction. At this point we do recommend an intake.

Q: Which Intakes have worked and which have you seen to cause turbulence and MAF problems?

A: We have tested a variety of intakes that are currently on the market for the LGT application. There are quite a bit of differences in design and performance, so be a smart consumer. The results in here are just our personal experience with the car so we are not sponsoring or putting down any certain design. This is pure results and ease in tuning for power.

1) SPT Intake - Not very effective on any level of car. A lot of turbulence and unpredictable readings from the placement of the MAF sensor. Harder to tune, less power overall then other intakes. LOUD

This intake skews maf readings because its inside diameter is smaller than a stock intake. Being smaller changes how the MAF sees airflow and how it is interpreted into LOAD by the ecu.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223

From the TDC FAQ (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48882)

Q: Have you been able to prove that Intakes are a positive or negative mod for the LGT?

A: Yes and no. The stock airbox is relatively efficient for a VF40 staged Setup. A VF40 is a small turbo and doesn't necessiarily need an intake. Any reduction in restriction PRE turbo and POST turbo will help with airflow. An engine is an air pump, if you can get air in and out more efficiently it will run better and usually make more power . If you place an intake on this car PERIOD you need a tune for it. Placing ANY intake (except Cobbs, or so they claim) on an LGT of any power lever (stock to stage X) it needs a tune. The larger turbo you go with the more an intake is needed. This is because you are requiring more airflow and the stock airbox can become a restriction. At this point we do recommend an intake.

Q: Which Intakes have worked and which have you seen to cause turbulence and MAF problems?

A: We have tested a variety of intakes that are currently on the market for the LGT application. There are quite a bit of differences in design and performance, so be a smart consumer. The results in here are just our personal experience with the car so we are not sponsoring or putting down any certain design. This is pure results and ease in tuning for power.

1) SPT Intake - Not very effective on any level of car. A lot of turbulence and unpredictable readings from the placement of the MAF sensor. Harder to tune, less power overall then other intakes. LOUD

This intake skews maf readings because its inside diameter is smaller than a stock intake. Being smaller changes how the MAF sees airflow and how it is interpreted into LOAD by the ecu.

Assuming all of that is true; Subaru will still install the intake and cover it and the car under warrantee. If it really is as damaging as TDC claims, I feel like Subaru wouldn't risk the warrantee liability with a relatively cheap accessory semi-performance part.:iam:

blah, no one has any real proof that there are no gains with a cold air intake. No has any proof that they are detremental to the car either. It's all talk as far as I can find in posts.

Blah ? :lol:

If you search, you will find many people on here have logs to prove not only don't they do anything to help, but can actually harm your engine.

Then there's the reports from Cobb and TDC.............

Blah indeed :lol:

I think the point is you should really be stage II and have a protune to get anything other than noise out of an intake, especially the SPT. The stock airbox on the legacy will take you into the mid 300's WHP. If you want noise, or really have $200+ to spend on nothing but an intake, guess thats you.

Bad MAF sensor readings might not hurt your engine, but your not getting any power or efficiency out of it for sure...

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Proof:

I had an AEM CAI as my ONLY mod and NO TUNE for over two years(while the car was under 3/36 warranty) with ZERO adverse effects. Even now; I don't have the studder issue everyone squeals about, nor have I had any other issue unless you guys want to blame my intake for burned out headlights and dash rattles. My car has been to the dealer every 3,000 miles for oil changes since new and they have never mentioned anything about it.

I know it makes more noise(louder turbo spool and BOV) and sounds better, but I'm not sure it added any power. In my honest opinion, the $200+ you will spend on an intake would be better appropriated to an UP and a panel filter.

Let's kick this pig!

The SPT or any other short ram intake are not cold air intakes. They're more like hot air intakes since they suck in air from the engine compartment. You can get a heat shield with the SPT which helps a little bit but it's still sucking air from the engine compartment.

The AEM is different because it sucks air from the lower compartment where the stock intake resonator used to reside.

You can datalog intake air temperature, IAT, and compare it to ambient. It's hot.

Intakes won't harm your car if you are using the stock rom with no changes to the fuel tables. The fuel tables are very rich (target AFR 10.24 etc...) and can accommodate small changes in the MAF table caused by the intake.

Intakes won't harm your car if you are using the stock rom with no changes to the fuel tables. The fuel tables are very rich (target AFR 10.24 etc...) and can accommodate small changes in the MAF table caused by the intake.

This is what I was thinking. If you reset the ECU(disconnect the battery) after installation; the computer will relearn the MAF readings of your new intake and adjust accordingly.

Now after doing an UP/DP then the CBE; I had to get a new tune because the Cobb maps and my generic TDC Stage2 maps ran a little rough but consistant. After getting the TDC Stage2 AEM~CAI adjusted e-tune, my car runs better than ever and my MAF readings are smooth and predictable. I will say that others at Stage2 with aftermarket intakes have posted logs with some crazy outa whack MAF readings.

Let's kick this pig!

The ecu isn't that smart.

In closed loop, you will almost always be fine regardless of intake because the front O2 sensor will accommodate small changes. The only problem is that the front O2 sensor doesn't react that fast so it can only handle small changes.

The AFR learning table only has 4 values. The highest value is from 40 g/s and up. That means when you drive around in closed loop between 40 and 60 g/s, the ecu will estimate how far off your intake is. Then, it applies that single value to ALL OPEN loop values above 60 g/s... all the way to 230 g/s which is the max that I've got in stock form. It may or may not be correct. Most likely, it won't be correct. However, since the AFR is so rich, small errors aren't going to affect anything.

The thread was originally about the warranty. Well, when I got my new Subaru Cold Air Intake, the car dealer refused to cover up my next repairs as part of the warranty. It sounded unfair but they always find a way out of it. :spin:

If you got an AEM, as listed there, I can understand. But SPT parts won't void the warranty.

Archived