LegacyGT.com

5EAT to 6MT - Finished

Hey!

Just finished a 5EAT to 6MT swap for a customer. Works great!

I couldn't find much info when I was doing the swap over this past week so I thought I would post up and offer any one information regarding the procedure.

I am going to do a full write up here with pictures but in the mean time feel free to PM me!

Here is the picture just taken, waiting for shift trim and boot to arrive

http://s17.postimg.org/yodtdcxyn/image.jpg

5EAT to 6MT swap

Parts list

Option 1(cheapest):

6MT Transmission*

6MT Flywheel

6MT Clutch

6MT or 5MT Starter

4EAT Drive Shaft

Clutch master cylinder**

Clutch Slave cylinder and lines

R160 Rear differential***

MT Pedal Set*****

6MT Shifter & linkage (08-14 STI or Spec B)

Spec B shifter surround and boot (optional)

Option 2 (more expensive):

6MT Transmission*

6MT Flywheel

6MT Clutch

6MT or 5MT Starter

6MT Drive Shaft

Clutch master cylinder**

Clutch Slave cylinder and lines

R180 Rear differential****

Spec B Rear Axles

MT Pedal Set*****

6MT Shifter & linkage (08-14 STI or Spec B)

Spec B shifter surround and boot (optional)

---------

*If you have a Female Transmission (late 04+) your axles will plug right in. If you have a male transmission with stubs (01JDM to Early 04 USDM) they need to be removed and the seals changed to these seals:

Left: 806735230

Right: 806735240

**Many different ones will work. I used one from a 2004 WRX. Slave you can use either a 6MT or a 5MT one as long as it's a pull style.

***I don't know of any LSD R160 3.90. I used an 02 Impreza TS 3.90 and installed an LSD from an 02 WRX. Move the ring over from the open 3.90 diff to the LSD before install in the 3.90 pumpkin. R160 3.90 comes in many Subarus.

If you are using an 06-14 USDM STI trans it should be 3.90 with a 1.1:1 centre diff which puts the final drive at 3.54. A 02-05 WRX 3.54 R160 should be used in the case. Double check what the final drive of your transmission is before picking the matching rear diff.

****If using an R180 rear differential, you will need the matching final drive for your transmission, try to get them together. Spec B rear axles fit and should work in your oem hubs. A 6MT Drive shaft will work. A 4EAT Driveshaft will work too if you change the R180 yolk to an R160 yolk.

*****05-09 Legacy MT pedal set works. 08-14 WRX MT pedal set works as well.

-------

*****Additional Parts*****

Manual Transmission Cross member

Auto Transmission Cross member

6MT Mount

Fluids

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I haven't done that swap yet, there is in my opinion no reason why it wouldn't work.

I had swapped an EG33 from an SVX into a 2004 Impreza TS sedan last year with no issues. I am aware the EG33 and the EZ30R are very different beasts and the 05+ Legacy/Outback have much more going on (eg security) but had no issue with the EJ255 5EAT to 6MT. I feel the EZ30R shouldnt have an issue as well.

The MT crossmember does need to be modified using an 5EAT crossmember that's why I have both listed. The floors between the 5EAT and MT cars are very different. At this time I believe 4EAT cars DO NOT need a modified MT Crossmember, on the 5EAT cars.

I will go more in depth in the install write up

Posting my car up and didn't even tell me lol.

Another thing I just ran into was if you use the 08+sti pedal set the brake light switch polarity is backwards.

Even with no visible cel you will still have the cruise light flash from time to time. Other than that and a message popping up above the odometer saying it's not seeing the tcu.

I wonder if anyone has done this swap before. We looked and looked and couldn't really find any that were fully completed. Even if I don't have cruise it's not something I'm worried about. I have a feeling the harness would have to be swapped out for a 5mt one along with ignition cluster and key.

the_paynter did a really good job and can't wait to see the write up. I should have taken more pictures during the swap process.

Posting my car up and didn't even tell me lol.

Another thing I just ran into was if you use the 08+sti pedal set the brake light switch polarity is backwards.

Even with no visible cel you will still have the cruise light flash from time to time. Other than that and a message popping up above the odometer saying it's not seeing the tcu.

I wonder if anyone has done this swap before. We looked and looked and couldn't really find any that were fully completed. Even if I don't have cruise it's not something I'm worried about. I have a feeling the harness would have to be swapped out for a 5mt one along with ignition cluster and key.

the_paynter did a really good job and can't wait to see the write up. I should have taken more pictures during the swap process.

Congrats on the swap!

Yeah the brake switch was easy. Just had to rig the 05 lgt switch to fit in the 08 pedals. Few little things here and there but there are a lot less quirks and issues than I thought there would be. it helped slot that the car is canbus and the vss is done though the abs sensors so I didn't loose my speedo or abs at all. Saved a lot of hassle.

Archived