1. 1. You a ClutchMaster(tm)?

• More than once a month
    • Once a month
    • Once every month-and-a-half
    • Once every 2 months
    • Once every 6 months
    • Once a year
    • I am the master - never stalled!

Stalled my car this morning in traffic. Yuck. What is up with this clutch that makes it so finicky?

I've been driving manual for 4 years - albeit with the same car - but the last car sure wasn't as touchy as this one.

So far I think I'm averaging about once a month (since getting my car this past July) :lol:

Edit: I'd like to add that with my previous car, I'd probably average to about 1 stall every 8 months or so... (ie being careless, etc)

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first car with MT. When I first got it I stall the car several times a day. Now I don’t remember when the last time it was happen.

Question: Is stalling the car cause any damage to the engine or transmission?

IBAutomaticownerssaynever

:lol:

Since I've got a 5EAT, you would expect so, but nope it happened once and only once on a very cold morning at the first trafficlight I hit. Came to move and it stalled.

IBmblock66says5EATisbettArthan5MTphuxemanandtripodriphimanewoneandtehlocknessmonsterappearsforthe2ndandfinaltime

I keed I keeed

I've stalled my leagcy at least 15 times in the month that I've owned it. My summer car has a lightened flywheel, aftermarket clutch, and 360 rwhp and couldn't tell you the last time I stalled that. I don't know if its the dual mass flywheel, the fact that the clutch grabs an inch from the floor, or what...
ignore him, he'll go away.

I haven't stalled mine for a while, except for two weeks ago when I was playing in a snowy parking lot getting used to how it drives in the snow. Ended up rolling backwards sans power (stalled and then hit clutch so the car just dawdled on backwards at a couple mph).

I had a '02 WRX for 4 years and NEVER stalled it, but on my LGT test drive I stalled it pulling back into the dealer's lot...very embarassing. But seriously the legacy GT throttle is so much harder to control. I've only stalled it once since I bought it about 2 months ago, but it requires so much more delicacy than the wrx.

I stalled the car a few times the first few weeks I had it while getting used to it, but that was several months ago. Haven't stalled it in quite awhile. Most of those stalls had to do with me not being able to hear the engine revs due to the car being so damned quiet. I must say though, I've been driving manual trans cars for 20 years now, since I was 16, of all kinds (muscle cars, sports cars, 4X4's) and in all that time this car has taken me the longest to get used to the clutch. Don't know why, it's not heavy or anything, but it's got strange engagement to it. It catches very high up.

I was just hinking about this not long ago. I seem to stall it once every month or so, mostly when I am either really tired or distracted. Another thing that I find myself doing and don't know why is parking and thinking I turned the car off, letting the clutch out, just to get a real loud thump and the car turning off. Almost feels like I got hit from behind! I attribute that to the car being too damn quiet!

X

---

Funny, I read this post earlier and was thinking, "it's been a while since I stalled". Went to the store and sure enough, I stalled pulling out of my parking spot. I think you jinxed me!

I think almost every one of my stalls has been in a parking lot.

In traffic I stall it maybe once every month or two, if I get careless when I'm stopped on a hill or something. I do it much more often (maybe once or twice a week) backing out of a parking spot, or pulling into my garage (my driveway is on an uphill, and I have to sort of turn into my spot in the garage, getting as close to the wall as possible).

I think part of the reason I stall it as often as I do is that I try hard not to slip the clutch any more than necessary. I've only experienced the clutch stink maybe four or five times in 7 months and 13K miles. If I was willing to slip the clutch more, I'm sure I could avoid stalling it ever.

I stalled my last car ('98 A4 2.8Q) about equally often, but the clutch was still fine after 140K miles. I've driven MT's for 20+ years, and I've stalled these two cars more than any others. I used to get Audi 4000Q's for loaners occasionally, and I couldn't stall one of those if I tried.

Agreed about the Impreza. My bros was great. Mine a little rough. Learned to drive stick on a '03 Corolla. Toyota = worst clutches ever. They come out way to far. And you have to push them all the way in till they click to start the car. I dunno know how my sister does it. She's 5'1".

Archived