LegacyGT.com

Need help - Steering knuckle/spindle cracked!!

If anyone has a spare or knows of a wrecked GT they can grab one off of and quick, my passenger side knuckle (holds the ball joint, wheel bearing and such) has cracked around the ball joint and I need a new one ASAP. I'm trying not to drop $121 plus shipping and all if anyone can help.

Thanks!

That happened to me... if someone is skilled at welding, they COULD reweld it for you, but it has to be done properly and it needs to be tested by reinstalling the balljoint in too (tighten down the bolt all the way) to make sure the weld holds.

The entire knuckle needs to be heated up so that the welding bead can flow into the seam properly and make a good weld. And the weld material needs to be something strong (aka not cheap).

That being said, $121 is pretty good, especially if new.

That's why I said it has to be done properly. If it's done properly, the weld will hold up just fine. I forgot to mention that a channel had to be cut/filed into the crack also prior to the weld. I'm not even sure what kind of weld it was... TIG, MIG, etc. I have no idea.

Anyway, the car was at the shop late at night and it's my DD, I needed the car functional immediately and there was nowhere to get a new knuckle immediately. But the weld was done in about an hour... so there you go. 10K miles later through horrible NYC roads, wildly fluctuating temperatures, heavily salted iced, wet roads, etc. etc. and it's doing just fine.

Yea we tried a good weld...that cracked. I was trying to find a more immediate solution then ordering one and while yes $120 is not that much, that's $120 more on top of a $2k re-vitilization I'm giving it ha... Oh well order it it will be.

Thanks for the interest though folks.

Archived