LegacyGT.com

Outback Fogs/New Member

Hi everyone. I just picked up a 99 legacy gt as my new daily driver. I wanted something with decent mileage and would be good in the snow so a subaru seemed just the ticket. My friend is a subaru vet and I have always liked them. So anyway on to my question...

I have decided to put the outback style bumper on my gt. I have been reading a lot on subaru forms the past few days about this and many other topics. It seems to be an easy switch. It doesnt seem easy to find a bumper but I did. My next issue is the fog lights for the outback style bumper... I can not find these things anywhere! If you have any advice about this or the bumper please fill me in. OEM fogs would be fine. But really anything that will fit is perfectly fine with me.

Thanks for the assistance :)

As for fog lights, check other threads on the subject like this one: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fog-lights-144829.html

Not exactly the same model, but it may give you some ideas. Also use the search function.

And you may of course mount other lights than fog lights in those positions. Or use them as air duct intakes for cooling the brakes.

453747.png

if your looking for better visibility then dont get the oem fogs.. they are useless. I am going to install some hella 500 Eurobeams with yellow bulbs in mine. From the research I have done this will give the best overall performance to dollar for aux lighting in all situations. My first thought was to go with some killer HID spot lights, but for on road driving, you will constantly have to turn them off for oncoming traffic. I think the eurobeam will give the best compromise between side of the road and forward lighting without blinding oncoming cars.

Others may have different ideas and I encourage them to chime in!

I see two alternatives that may work well:

• A pair of extra low-beam lamps with yellow light.
  • A pair of fog lights with yellow light.

The yellow light will be much nicer when it's snow conditions but be aware that yellow light is rather useless in rain.

As for yellow light - look for some 3000k HID:s.

Just make sure that you can switch them off to avoid annoying the cops.

453747.png

Alright thanks for the info guys. I have done some research on these options and they seem pretty good. I was really considering adding some fogs like the hella 500s. If I do I will stick with the bumper I have. The only concern I have is ease of install with something like the hella 500. Is this an easy thing to do? How and where would I hook them up?

The mechanical issues are likely to be the trickiest. Try to get some plastic pieces that are stable enough for a mount and that can be shaped using a heat gun.

Maybe you should look into sewer pipe and flanges for sewer pipe. It's relatively cheap and if it doesn't work you haven't wasted a huge amount of money.

453747.png

is the front bumper beam for LGT is different from the Outback?

I have heard most say its very slightly different and will bolt right to it. Like I said I am very new to subaru so im just trying to find out if I should just do it myself or bring it somewhere.

Like a sewer pipe to attach to the bumper? And im pretty good with wiring but how big of a deal is that? I have never installed something like this before.

More a thought if you had to do some adaptation behind the bumper it would probably be a good cheap material to use.

453747.png

As for yellow light - look for some 3000k HID:s.

Just make sure that you can switch them off to avoid annoying the cops.

yellow fogs are illegal in sweden? some cars came factory with them here...

the factory fogs ONLY run with the low beams on as designed. I think you may be a little confused as to what is legal and not legal. The way the car is set from Subi it conforms to ALL federal lighting laws, which supersedes the state laws, however, some states may be more lax or have different laws. For instance. In Phoenix, its perfectly legal to run no headlamps and fogs only at night under the following conditions: You are driving under 25 mph, say like in a neighborhood or stop and go traffic, OR if you are in a group of cars traveling together and you are not the lead car.

I guess the best thing would be to look up where the OP lives, and check the regs for his town before telling him something is or is not illegal as long as its different from FEDERAL law.

Archived