LegacyGT.com

My new Zune Car Dock

thehikingdude

After much research and actually buying 3 different car docks, I've finally found what I've been looking for. It's very simple to adjust for various viewing points for the driver, passenger and for video. I will be running the power adapter in behind the dash with the cord coming up between the console just below the Zune. I still need to see if there's some way to mount the adapter to the holder in some way to leave it permanently attached.

Here's a few pics:

http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/photos/140362667-M.jpg

http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/photos/140362908-M.jpg

http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/photos/140362956-M.jpg

Here's the mounting bracket with the Zune Holder removed. It slides off.

http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/photos/140363476-M-0.jpg

It's awesome!!!!! I can't believe I lived without one.

haha... did you ever have an ipod or other mp3 player before? I'm leaning toward the zune but can't seem to find many differences between it and the ipod.

lol

Nice dock, my gf has a zune, I also bought the media cables to output the video to the stock navi screen for hers.

What's the blue stuff on and around the button?

It's a vinyl skin to protect it from scratches. There's one on the back as well.

haha... did you ever have an ipod or other mp3 player before? I'm leaning toward the zune but can't seem to find many differences between it and the ipod.

I believe it's my 7th MP3 player, with my first one being a Diamond Rio with 32MB if I remember correctly. The thing that I really like about this one is the interface. Extremely easy to use, especially in the car.

waiting for the 2nd gen to come out. The Zune has some awesome features and I have been clued into what is in store for it and I hope it does well because the feature set is great and the future is killer.

I would love to mount one sideways in the cubby somehow. I am all about intergration and factory looking.

I think that the Zunes are great, but too late in the game. My cousin works at Microsoft and said that they are an immense failure for MS. I love them, but not sure if they'll actually stay around.

Im biased towards iPod because Im a Mac guy, integration is better.

Props for the dock though, looks great!

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Im not making that assumption on my own, this is coming from a relative who works for MS (on the XBox development team actually). He said that compared to MS's sales projections, they're a complete flop. (Coming from his mouth, not mine)

Like I said, I like them as well, im just biased towards iPods because Im a Mac guy.

I think the main problem with MS and the Zune is a dismal marketing effort. I'd never even heard of it until I started researching to get a new MP3 player. Thankfully the reviews gave me enough info to go and buy it sight unseen.

It's a superior device, but if nobody knows about it, it will die for sure. I do hope that doesn't happen - especially with the Zune Marketplace. For $15 / month I can download as many songs as I want for playing. It's the same sort of thing as Napster and Rhapsody; something that iTunes has yet to offer. Time will tell.

Just an fyi, the main reason I didn't go for the iPod is that it doesn't support WMA.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with most that is said about the Zune. It is (in my opinion) a far superior device compared to the ipod. Here is the biggest problem with it: NO ACCESSORIES FROM OUTSIDE VENDORS.

Unfortunately, the Zune is a fairly new gadget. Nobody is making anything for it yet. Go to any store (Best Buy, CompUSA, Walmart) and they have rows upon rows of iPod accessories. It's been out a lot longer. The market is the kids. Until kids learn about Zune, it'll never take off. Need more accessories.

When I ordered mine, I got the FM transmitter as part of the set up. It actually works pretty good. I've had mine stuffed in the top cubby. It actually fits perfectly (if laid horizontal). Then I have my power adapter running to the cigarette lighter port.

I ordered Belkin's dock with the built-in FM radio transmitter. It has the 3 presets and all. WARNING!!! This dock is a horrible POS. It's nice looking and the Zune slides down into it very nicely. However, I have to turn my volume up to 35 to really hear it. I think the transmitter is weak. If anyone else has bought this dock, let me know if you have similar issues. I basically wasted $50 on it. I chucked it into the trunk and went back to my prior set-up.

Anyway, Go with the Zune. It rocks. But you'll have to be patient on good accessories. Oh, I have an '05 LGT, so, I don't have the input that the newer models have, that's why I've gone with the FM transmitter.

I've wanted to come up with a more permanent solution to installing it in car; however, leaving for Iraq in a couple weeks and I'm hoping for a double-din deck solution by the time I return in a year. I WANT A STREETDECK!!!!

I think that the Zunes are great, but too late in the game. My cousin works at Microsoft and said that they are an immense failure for MS. I love them, but not sure if they'll actually stay around.

Im biased towards iPod because Im a Mac guy, integration is better.

Props for the dock though, looks great!

There are rumors swirling that they'll be giving away Zune's with a subscription to their music service. Agreed, MS is disheartened by their market share, but Sony is crying harder.

Where will all this convergence take us? The crossover handheld GPS with MP3/MP4 are starting to look pretty interesting.

Nice installation, will that work with a manual?

Oh, I have an '05 LGT, so, I don't have the input that the newer models have, that's why I've gone with the FM transmitter.

You dont need that. Get the Jazzy-aux mod and lose your FM transmitter (unless you own another car, then its great for its versatility)

Sound quality is superb

my ipod is 4 and a half years old. i've replaced the battery once. itunes sucks, but as long as this ipod still lives im happy. if it dies i will try to get another old 2nd gen ipod because all the new features are pointless for me.

Archived