LegacyGT.com

Starter Motor Interchange? (08 OB XT 5spd)

Short version:

08 Outback XT manual trans: how come no one stocks the starter for this vintage of Legacy/Outback stickshift?

Can I use one from a WRX of similar vintage, even if I have to tweak some wiring is ok.

Full story:

I just picked up an 08 Outback XT 5 speed stick to replace my 02 Legacy wagon. (more power, plus the 02 just got kinda crashed by the wife)

And now I'm stuck, broken, in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, halfway home.

I discovered that no one stocks the starter for the manual trans Outback/Legacys of this vintage. (rockauto doesn't even list it) I understand the auto starter being different, but what about a WRX starter?

Would the WRX starter fit - even if I have to temporarily wire up a "start switch" under the hood so I can drive it - but will it line up with the flywheel and fit in the block?

Example: classic small block chevy V8 starter - there was basically one starter with two noses depending on the size of the flexplate, and light duty or heavy duty. Inside the guts were basically the same and the wiring was basically the same, so you could mix and match to make a frankenstarter.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow hoping they can fix. It's freezing out and I flew in, so I had no tools. It looks like the intercooler comes off pretty easy, but I can't do this in the hotel parking lot with the nearest parts store 4 miles away. (and no one has rebuild kits either)

Anyway, rant mode off, if anyone has any ideas on how to get my 08 Outback cranking, I'm all ears. New battery, clean terminals. I just bought it yesterday and I was thinking the starter sounded a bit "slow" almost like the battery was weak. I must have started it 10 times yesterday, but it sat outside in -30 overnight not plugged in (I'm at a hotel) and won't start this morning. I have power to interior, dash, etc. I head a relay clicking and a faint "grrrrr" from under the hood, but no noise from the starter.

How far do you have to drive?

If you can get home without having to turn off the motor you could always forget the starter and bump start it for now. Get a few healthy individuals to push the car in 1st or 2nd gear with your clutch in, with ignition on and quickly drop the clutch when upto running pace.

Alternately if on an incline roll down doing the same thing.

How far do you have to drive?

If you can get home without having to turn off the motor you could always forget the starter and bump start it for now. Get a few healthy individuals to push the car in 1st or 2nd gear with your clutch in, with ignition on and quickly drop the clutch when upto running pace.

Alternately if on an incline roll down doing the same thing.

1700km or about 1200miles.

I made it home, it appears to be a temp problem. New starter ordered from the dealer. Now that I'm home I can check the relays and wiring etc to see what the real problem is and make it a perfect winter car setup.

If I was really desperate, the plan was to buy a gas can, fill that up, and then drive around the corner and fill my car up while it was running.

I still don't know why no one has the starter, and why a WRX starter won't interchange. Looking at the diagrams, the Impreza/WRX/Forester use one type of starter and the Legacy/Outback/Tribeca use a different one.

I just ordered a new starter from fredbeans.. ~$250 and it may be witch craft but I also ordered a starter motor heat shield.. for ~$20 on amazon.. lot's of muscle car guys swear by the heatshields to keep the starter motor happier longer..

Archived