LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

I got this done tonight ... and I have some things to add.

1st) I tried 14 ga. wire from Home Depot first ... way too thick. Don't bother (whats worse is the guy accidentally gave me one piece of 12 ga. too) Ended up using 18 ga. solid core and that worked well with some issues to follow

2nd) When connecting the wires to the harness under the steering wheel, I had to actually bend over the tip of the wire to make it thicker. The 18 ga. solid core wire on its own wasn't thick enough to hold things in place. When I started to test the connections, the lead to the power for the illumination came out and made contact with a piece of metal under the dash and shorted out all interior illumination. With the end folded over it held everything fine and all the controls worked perfectly.

3rd) I suspect 16 ga. wire would be ideal, but cannot attest to how well it would fit in the back side of the radio when trying to connect everything to the connectors when you're trying to get two wires in together.

4th) Trabbic is a great guy and was very helpful when things started going wrong. :)

I swapped the fog light fuse with the illumination fuse an have verified that everything works fine now, so I just need to get a new fuse at the dealer tomorrow and everything should be peachy again.

Got my wiring done earlier today. I used 20 gauge solid core with wire taps on the wires coming from the stereo. On the steering wheel end, I could shove the wires in enough that they were pretty firmly in place. A tug would loosen them easily, but I taped things up so that the wires won't be moving around. Everything worked fine and overall it was a very straightforward install. Really makes you wonder why Subaru didn't offer the controls as a dealer-installed option at the very least!

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

http://www.boxer6.com/photos/legacy/img_4950s.jpg

http://www.boxer6.com/photos/legacy/img_4953s.jpghttp://www.boxer6.com/photos/legacy/img_4954s.jpg

phoenix96

I've been assuming this does NOT work for the standard, single-disk, non-Climate-contol-integrated head unit. Does it?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I've been assuming this does NOT work for the standard, single-disk, non-Climate-contol-integrated head unit. Does it?

If you pull out the unit and take a couple of pictures, or write down the color wires on the small plug, I will let you know if it will work or not...

Everything still working with your controls, Brady? :icon_bigg

Yup, everything is peachy! :D

Bending the end of the wire over really seemed to take care of all the issues when using the 18 ga. wire.

Also got the Cobb Double Adjustable Shifter installed at lunch today (courtesy of work's snap ring pliers) and I'm a happy happy camper! Traffic was so bad on the way home tonight that I was actually able to reinstall the trim and shifter plate/boot on my commute home.

Just wanted to drop-by and say that this is some absolutely awesome work!

Good job!!! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Wow, nice quality photos!! What kind of camera is that?

Thanks. The camera is a Canon 20D. The pictures would be better if I used a tripod but that lens has an image stabilizer that works pretty well.

phoenix96

I'd be all in for someone to make a kit(wheel etc.) with install pics,instructions.

OMG!!!!

1.) Go to the first post of this thread - see instructions with photos

2.) Read this thread - see that there's a GB for the wheel

3.) Go to the GB thread in the Members Classified's section and order the wheel

4.) Follow the directions from the first post in this thread

Wow ... Just wow.

I'd be all in for someone to make a kit(wheel etc.) with install pics,instructions.

I don't think this is a bad idea...One-stop shopping, and opportunity to make some scratch. Whats so OMG!! about that?

Some people are stepping into this midstream, so they may not have the level of understanding others have, or the time to deal with sorting through all the details with an expecation they will know what to do. This project is not that easy to do.

I think it was a good idea.

OMG is because if you follow the instructions, the ONLY thing that you could do to make this a "kit" would be to include 4 wires with the wheel in the proper lengths. it would be VERY hard to make any kind of harness for either the back side of the radio (technically possible) or under the steering wheel (unlikely you'd find another plug for this). The real challenge of this project is pulling the radio and all the dash/trim pieces and knee brace plate to get access to the plugs. Once you do that, snipping 3 feet of wire and inserting the ends is the easy part.

Follow the directions in the write-up and that's about as easy as it can get.

Took me about 2 hours TOTAL and that includes a run to Radioshack to get new wire because the guy at home-depot gave me the wrong stuff (asked for 16 gauge, gave me 14 and 12 ... didn't realize this until I was more than halfway through the install). This also included downtime when I was trying to figure out why my wire wouldn't make contact.

Seriously, the instructions tell you everything you need to know. In fact, it was BECAUSE of my experience already pulling the stereo and DRLs and stuff that caused me to take longer thinking that I knew where the plug was under the steering column ... I skipped a step in the directions because I thought I "knew better."

So basically, a "kit" would eliminate some of the easy work, but wouldn't help with the "hard" parts.

I don't think it is such a bad idea either way.

Some of us don't need the entire wheel anyway, just the pods.

I personally don't have a problem following the thread, but it is nice to see someone making suggestions that will save people time and enery to make this a more efficient process.

It can't really be made any more simple - as Brady said, the only thing a kit could do is provide four pre-cut wires. The how-to at the beginning of this thread tells you everything you need to know.

phoenix96

So whats wrong with that? Someone could make a buck off it. People get an easier, consolidated way to deal with this.

Its not a bad idea. But people can do what they want, I don't care.

I am not even doing this mod, because no one has done a 5EAT yet.

So whats wrong with that? Someone could make a buck off it. People get an easier, consolidated way to deal with this.

Its not a bad idea. But people can do what they want, I don't care.

I am not even doing this mod, because no one has done a 5EAT yet.

Ok. Well if someone wants it, I'll sell them a 'kit' with the steering wheel, pre-cut wires, and a printout of instructions for $325. It really isn't necessary though.

phoenix96

Phoenix96's kit is way overpriced ... I'm selling mine for $324. My directions are in color and stapled together. I heard he just gives black and white instructions loose. ;)

I think once you've done the install, you'll realize how little is to be gained from trying to make this a "kit". We're talking a dollar's worth of wire, some zip ties, and a little patience. Patience is the key, and if you don't have that, as a general rule, you shouldn't be working on your car.

I think once you've done the install, you'll realize how little is to be gained from trying to make this a "kit". We're talking a dollar's worth of wire, some zip ties, and a little patience. Patience is the key, and if you don't have that, as a general rule, you shouldn't be working on your car.

Definately agree with that...

Phoenix96's kit is way overpriced ... I'm selling mine for $324. My directions are in color and stapled together. I heard he just gives black and white instructions loose. ;)

WAIT, you mean I could have charged for this!! :lol: :lol:

My girlfriend thinks I should be charging! I told her that it was the least I could do for my fellow forum members!

You could possibly develop a kit if you had the correct plugs from Subaru, but I don't think it would really be that easy to get the plugs. I don't really think it is necessary however, as it is pretty easy otherwise...

Great write-up Trabbic!

Wondering if the seek controls on the Spec B / Bean wheel seek all stations or just presets? I recently drove a Tribeca (ugh!) and that wheel only searched thru all stations. Would like to do this mod if presets are the ones searched.

If thats not the case, is it possible to change or reset which stations are searched?

Thanks!