LegacyGT.com

soaked footwell

So lately whenever it rains I hop in my Leg and my passenger footwell is soaking wet. The first few times it was moderately damp but not its wetter than hell.

Anyone ever dealt with this? I'm going to search around for firewall seals this weekend.

If no sun roof blow out the AC drain tube on the bottom of the firewall with a short blow from your air compressor and blow nozzle. Get under the car and look up by the passenger feet, you'll see a small rubber tube.

This is fairly common.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Its got a sunroof. How do I go about checking the drain tubes?

I'll take a look asap.

Thanks guys!

You should change your avatar box thingy over there to reflect you have a Ltd. The leaking is the one reason I didn't buy that model. My 00 and 98GT's both leaked.

I had my buddy at the body shop blow mine out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Me too. When my sunroof drains would clog I would have water sitting on the cargo cover in my wagon.

Even when my beloved Civic would soak the passenger carpet, it was the AC drain.

That'd be awesome if its something as simple as that. When I turned the car off the other day after an hour and a half drive with the AC blowing, I saw some water drip down from near the green connectors are above the passenger footwell. Probably from something associated with the AC.

You need to notice from time to time if after the AC runs for a while if there's a puddle of water behind the right front tire. That how' you tell if the drain is open.

It's the same with every car. Well except for right hand drive. Then I guess they will have a puddle behind the left front tire.

As I said before, it's very common. The spring time crap from the trees, get in the vent area and clogs the drain.

Remember to check your car for that puddle after the AC runs for a while.

Its got a sunroof. How do I go about checking the drain tubes?

Having a 'map' ... a strong flashlight and an air compressor with hose (with air spray nozzle) on site can really be a huge help? :D

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/JRanmann/Screenshot2010-07-20at82706PM.png

It's really a rather crude system that relies on gravity to route the water to these strategically place holes that funnel the water the

seeps in between the seals and the components of the car body itself and these drain down to nipples that protrude from the chassis

so that the water does not accumulate withing the multi-layers of the roof/sides and other panels that make up the body of the car.

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495065404.png

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_30/body_equipment_exterior/sun_roof/illustration_1/

Also check out the VW thread below, as the Golde Company (and a few similar companies make these roofs) basically do them to the same design specifications (size being the differing factor) As you can see the tubes in the drawing drain from each of the four four corners (maybe six corners?) Using compressed air is an option but dont fish line down there and inadvertently remove the hose

from it's support and lose it forever, somewhere deep within your A,B, or C, pillar... (heaven forbid is so, now you got issues)

If you're like me and leave the sunroof open, try not park under trees (Cedar, etc) that shed like clockwork but only at night

when you least expect it. This debris can also clog up your heater fan blower etc faster than one would think, so with a vacuum

and the air nozzle go to town and spend the afternoon someday soon cleaning the track, holes etc and then if nec. regrease the

roof-slides (per Subaru recommendatons) and with special grease designed NOT to attract debris to itself... so the roof slides

quiter faster and better all around and a side benefit is that it will close tighter... thus is if this IS the source of your water leak

it's good reasoning that it will solve the problem...good luck!

http://forums.motivemag.com/showthread.php?1909676

Cheers!

Ran

Use weed wacker line to clean out the drain tubes. Anything metal (coat hanger) could ripe the rubber tubes. Sometimes compressed air can break the glue bond of the tube and connectors..... just done use a coat hanger!
That's a good idea....!

If indeed the water IS sourcing from above around the roof panels it's likely in amounts that the drain lines were not designed to fully handle on their own... (the Panels are not seating correctly) so I would first plug the holes and then thoroughly clean (and later lube) the roof tracks, slides and accociated mechanism where the panels come to rest especially and then compare how much better the glass panels now will 'seat' in their rubber seals, like obedient children?

Even a small raised 'differential' (tilt on the panels) can cause a significant leak when you least expect it or more likely when you are not even in the vehicle.

Again good luck!

Ran

Archived