LegacyGT.com

harman kardon sub

ninjaturtlesM35x

i couldnt find any sub install's on harman kardon cars. i dont know much about systems iether. i do know that open air subs suck. i know that with the same power a sub in a box would do allot better. anyone know if/how i could just put a new sub and box attached to the stock wiring? i dont need allot more knock.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's strange, because if you look at the Subaru website and go to the Legacy and then features & Specs and interior, they say "9-speaker Harman/Kardon® audio system with 7-channel amplifier/equalizer, subwoofer". And there is a picture with red marks of the locations of things: speakers in doors, something under passenger seat (which I think is the amp) and something in the back deck, which I assumed is the subwoofer.

The sub is installed in the rear deck. It's a weird design and really has almost no out put. It can be easily replaced with a typical 8" woofer that is less 3"3/4 and has a 4 or 8 screw pattern.

If you wanted to replace it with a sub in a box you'll want to make sure that it's 2 ohm (parallel 4 ohm voices coils on a DVC) and has a high efficiency rating, or it won't make enough sound to get out of the trunk.

Keep in mind that infinite baffle can be great, if well selected and baffled. Also they don't need much power to be effective.

• 3 weeks later...

Chad,

would it be safe to say that the 8" HK Sub would be easily replaceable with one of the Pioneer 8" shallow subs (2.5 inch mounting depth), or even one of the Dynaudio Midbass drivers? Would it be just a matter of tapping into the stock wiring?

thanks!

I think the pioneer would work, but I think that has a 6 hole pattern which means that you may need to add mounting holes. If you pull out the sub there is also a 1/4 thick metal plate that the sub mounts to. If you pull the sub out and separate it from the plate, you can use that a guide to would drop right in. You could also use a grinder to open the plate up to accept any subs that are a bit on the wide side. Right now I'm keeping my eyes out for a old JL IB84.

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, but I just wanted to point out that the OP has an awesome username.

THANKS MAN

i dont really care if the sub is shalow or mounts. i didnt want to replace it with another open air. i would idealy like to put a conventional sub in the back and use the hole for the stock sub as a port or something.

on the same note, if you were to do a sealed box in the trunk, note that with the sedan, the HK Amplifier has 2 sub outputs; the outback uses both, the sedan only uses one - thats another set of power for a DVC Sub in a sealed box - just a thought.....

When I get a chance I'm going to try to tap into the second output and put it on my subs other voice coil. Ideally a sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils could maximize the output from the amp.

Also, it is possible, though I have no way of knowing other than to try, that the channels could be bridged to a single four ohm voice coils.

dont know if I posted this yet but my newly replaced HK Stock sub has also started to make whistling noises when only turned up halfway. I have left a message with my dealer to order a replacement, if the new one also exhibits issues like the last two, then I am going the aftermarket route and will try the Pioneer 8" shallow sub and see how that works out.

dont know if I posted this yet but my newly replaced HK Stock sub has also started to make whistling noises when only turned up halfway. I have left a message with my dealer to order a replacement, if the new one also exhibits issues like the last two, then I am going the aftermarket route and will try the Pioneer 8" shallow sub and see how that works out.

Let us know, b/c I would love to also go shallow mount.

• 3 months later...
The sub is installed in the rear deck. It's a weird design and really has almost no out put. It can be easily replaced with a typical 8" woofer that is less 3"3/4 and has a 4 or 8 screw pattern.If you wanted to replace it with a sub in a box you'll want to make sure that it's 2 ohm (parallel 4 ohm voices coils on a DVC) and has a high efficiency rating, or it won't make enough sound to get out of the trunk. .

how easy? i'm thinking to do it too, but just not sure how hard to remove the deck panel. :(

I don't remember where I saw it...

Do you have any experience with audio/interior work?

I would just say to take your time and don't force anything. You need to remove the parts of the rear seat on the side that don't fold down. They are held in with a bolt on the bottom.

try emailing or calling Crutchfield. They have terrific detailed instructions on teardowns for car audio. I think they might even email it to you but you may have to pay 4.00 or so for the "handling"

but well worth it if it is a hard to remove item.

following! i blew my deck sub :-( gotta replace it so any pointers or sub preferences that will almost fit as good as oem

afaik, pioneer ts-sw841d and earthquake sws-8x both are 8" and shallow. BUT i have never seen anyone here shown their work yet. i'm still on-hold for installing my sub too!

Archived