LegacyGT.com

Spotted - highly modded black GT

rosscarlson

Gents,

Long time no post - as I sold my Spec.B 3+ years ago I haven't been around much since. This afternoon you pulled into the parking lot at the Mexican place (can't remember the name) and gave me a big thumbs up in my Lotus Exige. By the time I finally got out of my car you didn't see me trying to wave you down to check out your Leggy!!

So just wanted to try to say hi and compliment your Leggy, from what I saw it looked great and I could hear you a good 15 seconds after you drove off (it really sounded great as you pulled away).

-Ross

It really is isn't it?? Kum Bah Yah MFers!

05Boost sorry I wasn't able to waive you down as I would have loved to check out your car. Do you have a build/mod thread anywhere? Here are some details on my Exige build:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/rev400-build-complete-175825/

In short she's about 1800lbs with 360whp - so she's pretty damn insane to drive!!

-Ross

It really is isn't it?? Kum Bah Yah MFers!

05Boost sorry I wasn't able to waive you down as I would have loved to check out your car. Do you have a build/mod thread anywhere? Here are some details on my Exige build:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/rev400-build-complete-175825/

In short she's about 1800lbs with 360whp - so she's pretty damn insane to drive!!

-Ross

Ross- I have a 330whp miata and can't put power to the ground very well. I'm running 225/45/15 Hankook RS3's and still spin in 1-3. How do you do it in your 360whp Lotus? (I'm changing from a 4.1 to 3.3 rear end in the spring in hopes I can hook up).

Ross- I have a 330whp miata and can't put power to the ground very well. I'm running 225/45/15 Hankook RS3's and still spin in 1-3. How do you do it in your 360whp Lotus? (I'm changing from a 4.1 to 3.3 rear end in the spring in hopes I can hook up).

I'd say there are 2 main things - I'm extremely gentle/smooth with my right foot and the least sticky tires I run are Toyo R888 rcomps. Even on those I'll get wheel spin through 4th gear if I'm not careful. For me it's not a huge issue as she's basically a track-only car so on the track I already had to be smooth with the power application to keep from spinning out of a corner, etc. I've never been drag racing before but will probably take it out in the spring just to do it once. We're guessing it would be a low 11s or high 10s depending on how well I can launch it. And since I'm not a drag racer that probably means not that great.

I've also only run about 1k miles since the supercharger so I don't have a ton of seat time to really be able to say.

A 330whp Miata has to be an absolute riot - how'd you achieve that, turbo or LS1 swap?? How do you use the car, insane daily driver, drag strip or track toy?

A 330whp Miata has to be an absolute riot - how'd you achieve that, turbo or LS1 swap?? How do you use the car, insane daily driver, drag strip or track toy?

Thanks for the tip. Yes, throttle modulation has been my only solution so far. It is a riot to drive, as I'm sure you know from your Lotus.

The car is a weekend fun toy and for short trips around town when I'm on solo errands or only take one person along. I may track or drag it one day. It's 330whp/320wtq on E85. Built motor with a BNR EVOIII 16G hybrid mazdaspeed miata turbo. I can achieve those numbers with that turbo because the rwd drivetrain loss is only about 15%. I'm actually eyeing an EFR 6758 which could put me near 450whp, but there is no reason at all to do that unless I can solve my current traction issue. I plan on a 3.3 rear swap (replace current 4.1) and some R1R's later. If I can hook up, I'll consider the EFR. If I'm smart, I'll stay where I'm at and leave well enough alone - The miata already hits 60-80 in 1.28s (in 4th because I can hook in 4th from a roll) if you're familiar with the 50-70 and 60-80 thread on this site.

I'm still jelly of your Lotus though. :lol:

Edit. Here's a pic of her:

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/dskrafsur/Pic12.jpg

Really jealous of both of your cars, 05Pearl and ross! I can sympathize with traction issues as my 530hp 3450lb Shelby breaks loose with WOT throttle doing anything less than 50mph. That's why a GT-R is on the top of my want list (but that won't happen anytime soon!)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I'm sure a 530hp Shelby is a monster too - just a different kind. Is that 530 wheel or crank? Either way that's pretty great. Here are the power to weight ratios:

05Pearl -6.6 lb/hp

Legend - 6.5 lb/hp

My Exige - 5 lb/hp

That should would make for an interesting drag race wouldn't it? Assuming we all hooked up I'm not sure who I think would take it, my guess would be the Shelby as the faster I go the slower my acceleration curve gets (since my car is setup/geared for road courses). There I think I'd have you guys give my extremely low weight (about 1800lbs dry).

Either way cars are just great, aren't they? I love that we're on the Legacy GT forums yet discussing Miatas, Shelbys and Exiges. In my book if you're a car guy and love your car I don't care what it is and what you've done to it. Racers, great. Ricers, great. Donks, great. Stanced, great. If someone is passionate about what they drive it generally shows and while I might not share their taste I definitely share their obsession and passion.

-Ross

530whp/482wtq on recent dyno (just attended the local dyno day, see graphs towards the end), and 590whp/525tq on RWR dyno. Full weight-emission legal, 4 seat, AC, etc.. 3465lbs at the strip (with slicks and skinnies...it's heavier with regular 20" street tires/wheels). It's just the OEM stock 4.6L, with cams, a 2.3 Whipple SC at 9.5psi, E85, and exhaust. Shelby suspension and brakes. It's mainly just an annoyingly loud shiny gaudy weekend street car but I take it to the dragstrip a few times a year.

I think you'd win that race, Ross, but I might run you down eventually well after 100mph. When I'm not at work sometime I need to check out your videos... that's an exotic car you've got there, not just a fancy built Mustang like I've got.

I'm with you.. I like built and fast cars and the brand is irrelevant to me. I've got no brand loyalty and have no idea if my next car will be an import or domestic.. the only thing I know I always need is forced induction.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

It's mainly just an annoyingly loud shiny gaudy weekend street car but I take it to the dragstrip a few times a year.

You have to be just about the most laid back Mustang owner on the planet! I'll admit while I try not to I tend to stereotype Mustang/Corvette owners/drivers and I shouldn't - I forget some of them are actually intelligent humans! And I'll admit that of all the new muscle cars yours is BY FAR the best, IMHO of course!

I think you'd win that race, Ross, but I might run you down eventually well after 100mph.

Yeah, I think you'd start catching me sooner than that - my realistic top speed is about 140, I get about 133 on my home track on it's about 1/3 mile straight. Before the supercharger (I was about 150/110 hp/tq at the wheels before) my top was 112. So while I get there I really start topping out quickly. 0-80, assuming we both hooked up I think I'd have you pretty good. 80 > you'd crush me.

When I'm not at work sometime I need to check out your videos... that's an exotic car you've got there, not just a fancy built Mustang like I've got.

All I can say to that is thanks - I mainly do those videos for fun for friends and family. While this lap is pre-supercharger so about 5 seconds slower it has multiple cameras, etc. Personally the foot camera is my favorite as to me speed is in your footwork. That said see if you can spot my major throttle mistake early on. You'll see some heel-toe and left foot braking in there too.

I'm with you.. I like built and fast cars and the brand is irrelevant to me. I've got no brand loyalty and have no idea if my next car will be an import or domestic.. the only thing I know I always need is forced induction.

Seems we share a lot around cars, huh? I'll admit I have a few brand loyalties (or specifically brands I dislike). M3s, mainly as an ex that broke my heart drives one and 911s - I just don't get that. I see a 911 and I see an expensive Beetle. Respect sure, passion - uh, nope. And I've driven a lot of them from older RS America's all the way to brand new 991s. I instructed at a Porsche Driving Experience once and got to give students demo laps in a new 991 2S, a Panamera Turbo and Cayenne Turbo S. While I'd almost never own any of those, even with a lottery win, I couldn't have been more impressed with the Panamera specifically. Driving it back to back with the 991 911 and I could barely feel a difference between them. Again I'd never own it but I won't make fun of anyone that does!!

Any videos of your baby - I have to imagine she sounds rather amazing. While my Lotus sounds good it's that 1.8 liter 4 banger sound - almost like a sport bike. I really do miss the Magnaflow exhaust I had on my RS4. IMHO it was the best sounding car I've ever heard in person. So if you don't have a video try to shoot one, I'd love to hear it!!

Archived