LegacyGT.com

Intermittent click when depressing brake pedal

My 05 LGT 5MT developed an annoying click when I step on the brakes. It seem to happen only when brake pedal hasn't been touched for some time (like several minutes), once it clicks any immediate consequent braking is silent. I'm almost sure it comes from the pedal mechanism as the sound is rather loud and sharp such as if it comes from inside the cabin. Any ideas?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mine has been making the same noise since i got the car. i think that the clutch has been making the same noise now too. i think that i am going to look at it this summer when i start my build. but i feel your pain is very annoying sometimes and no one else notices it.

My 05 LGT 5MT developed an annoying click when I step on the brakes. It seem to happen only when brake pedal hasn't been touched for some time (like several minutes), once it clicks any immediate consequent braking is silent. I'm almost sure it comes from the pedal mechanism as the sound is rather loud and sharp such as if it comes from inside the cabin. Any ideas?

I've got the same problem, and its annoying, been driving the car for 8months like that (ever since i got it)!

Anyone know what it is? Or how t fix it? Its in the brake pedal for sure, and its a loud click, you can even feel it with your foot! The OP explained it pretty well, and I've got the same same problem!

I guess I'm not the only one! Any help would be appreciated!

JP

So i would assume that its a common issue on here!

I've tried looking underneath, and couldnt find anything, and even took it at the dealer and they ''couldnt'' replicate the sound (they were most likely not looking for it)

JP

So i would assume that its a common issue on here!

I've tried looking underneath, and couldnt find anything, and even took it at the dealer and they ''couldnt'' replicate the sound (they were most likely not looking for it)

JP

The problem is it is hard to replicate it on purpose. I spent like 15 minutes sitting in my garage trying but no click. I'm thinking the car has to move, perhaps a slightly worn part in the pedal mechanism loosens up when going over road bumps, step on the brakes and it clicks back in place.

I know that in the EAT transmissions, there is a gear lock mechanism that activates and deactivates with the brake pedal. Perhaps something similar with the MTs?

As jproy said you can almost feel it in your foot, so likely not...

As jproy said you can almost feel it in your foot, so likely not...

I can feel mine in my foot - its an extremely distinct click.

EDIT: I believe there is also a brake lock mechanism but dont quote me on this - it was another question I asked the dealer when I had the car new.

I can feel mine in my foot - its an extremely distinct click.

I remember reading that the clicking sound you mentioned comes from the transmission, there is a solenoid that makes it. Are you sure the click you're hearing is what you think it is?

Ok folks, I have a theory. I checked around and it doesn't look like that any of the visible metals parts is the culprit. There is some play where the link that pushes into the master cylinder is connected to the pedal but it doesn't look it can make that kind of noise. However, there is a spring loaded sensor that extends when the pedal is lowered, it controls tail stop lights and may be other things. There is a flat plastic piece attached to the pedal that pushes against the sensor when the pedal is raised. I have a feeling that this sensor gets stuck periodically and because of that it doesn't extend smoothly and instead shoots against this plastic piece as the pedal is depressed. The click sound is kinda plasticky so this may well be it. I lowered the pedal and pushed the sensor with my finger and it seemed ok, however I also was not able to replicate the clicking sound in question no matter how hard I tried. Perhaps someone with more consistent symptoms can confirm that the sensor is at fault?

• 1 month later...
Nope, didn't have the time, and I do have doubts about my sensor theory. I'll have to pay a visit to a dealer for 60k service, will see if they can get it fixed under Gold warranty, but likely not as it is not a failure per se.

I have it as well. It seems to happen to me when I go through the drive through. :) I seem to be able to replicate it. From a stop, take off and within a car lenght hit the pedal rather quick. If you apply the break slower it doesn't seem to happen. I used to have a similar problem on my civic. I might just have to do with the slower speeds. Hasn't happened at higher breaking speeds.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Cheers,

Mine is different and seem to be mostly dependent on the amount of time between 2 consecutive brake presses. Assuming you keep the brake pedal depressed while stopped in your case, releasing it, and stepping on it again in a second or so would pretty much guarantee not to produce a click in my case, however if I drive around for several minutes and then brake it would almost definitely make a click. This happens at any speed. Clicks at low speed are more likely from loose calipers or missing pad shims and not come from the pedal.

Mine is different and seem to be mostly dependent on the amount of time between 2 consecutive brake presses. Assuming you keep the brake pedal depressed while stopped in your case, releasing it, and stepping on it again in a second or so would pretty much guarantee not to produce a click in my case, however if I drive around for several minutes and then brake it would almost definitely make a click. This happens at any speed. Clicks at low speed are more likely from loose calipers or missing pad shims and not come from the pedal.

Same thing for me! Its an annoying click!

If i have time, I might take a good look under there! I'm off all week and should have time to check, its something that really bugs me!

JP

Same thing for me! Its an annoying click!

If i have time, I might take a good look under there! I'm off all week and should have time to check, its something that really bugs me!

JP

Annoying, indeed. It is hard to reproduce on purpose while parked :( I spent like 30 minutes looking here and there the other day and everything looked solid. That sensor did look and felt suspicious, but nothing definite. Wondering if it is safe to just unscrew it and drive the car around the block to exclude it as a probable cause, anyone knows if it sends any vital signals to the ECU besides the rear stop-light ON/OFF?

• 4 months later...

Bumping this old tread... now its also making it in my clutch pedal when pressing all thew way in, what could it be?

I'm taking it to the dealer for them to check it out, I had brought my car in before for this and found nothing, its been getting worse now since Its also making it in the clutch pedal!

JP

Archived