LegacyGT.com

Stock struts w/ Tein S Tech springs? 2006 2.5i NA

ALHockeyGuy

After searching through this site and also researching elsewhere, I still haven't found an answer to a few questions I have:

1) When is it recommended to replace your struts, springs, etc.?

2) Has anyone put Tein S Tech springs on their stock struts? If so, was it a terrible ride? I looked at KYB struts but it seems that the Excel-G kit is just OEM and the only difference would be that they would be new and have a different name on them...

3) If I were able to find some struts off of an Impreza, would they fit my car and allow the Tein springs?

I know it's an investment and you get what you pay for but the price on the Konis, Bilstein's, etc. are all waaaay up there price-wise and I've had no luck finding anything used. For perspective, I've got a one year old at home with another on the way so I'm doing good just to put gas in the car, lol.:spin:

Thanks guys.

After searching through this site and also researching elsewhere, I still haven't found an answer to a few questions I have:

1) When is it recommended to replace your struts, springs, etc.?

2) Has anyone put Tein S Tech springs on their stock struts? If so, was it a terrible ride? I looked at KYB struts but it seems that the Excel-G kit is just OEM and the only difference would be that they would be new and have a different name on them...

3) If I were able to find some struts off of an Impreza, would they fit my car and allow the Tein springs?

I know it's an investment and you get what you pay for but the price on the Konis, Bilstein's, etc. are all waaaay up there price-wise and I've had no luck finding anything used. For perspective, I've got a one year old at home with another on the way so I'm doing good just to put gas in the car, lol.:spin:

Thanks guys.

Hey there :) So the KYBs on a 2.5i are more than sufficient to provide a superior ride while being able to handle most sport driving situations. S tech springs drop your car low! If I were you i would go with KYB replacements and Tein H Tech springs instead of the S techs.

Suspension is a great investment so if you want to dump $$ into a 2.5i that would be the area, but then i would start at the sway bars ;) and work up.

This is one of the BEST examples of S Techs on a Legacy :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/Bbc84/Legacy%20GT/P1070873.jpg

This is a ok example (taste dependent):

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6618/dscn0158i.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics! I like low rides for the most part; I just don't want the ride to be bouncy and for it to feel like I'm galloping down the road on a horse... I don't mind bumpy. I had a car years ago with coilovers and quickly became an expert on avoiding if the smallest potholes, lol.

I bought my car used with 104k on it and I know they never changed out the suspension so I guess it would be safe to assume that it's not a good idea to put the springs in those? lol

I have to say this has all been information overload. Not just suspension, but cars in general. I'm a "general know-how" kind of car guy so trying to learn so much about this car and Subarus in general is exhausting.

Thanks for the info and pics! I like low rides for the most part; I just don't want the ride to be bouncy and for it to feel like I'm galloping down the road on a horse... I don't mind bumpy. I had a car years ago with coilovers and quickly became an expert on avoiding if the smallest potholes, lol.

I bought my car used with 104k on it and I know they never changed out the suspension so I guess it would be safe to assume that it's not a good idea to put the springs in those? lol

I have to say this has all been information overload. Not just suspension, but cars in general. I'm a "general know-how" kind of car guy so trying to learn so much about this car and Subarus in general is exhausting.

Oh jesus dont put S Techs on 104K mile old stock struts :lol: If you like it low then I would replace the struts and add the lowering spring of your choice. Im not sure how well the spring rate of the S tech's and the KYB play together but many people have ran them without incident.

Oh jesus dont put S Techs on 104K mile old stock struts :lol: If you like it low then I would replace the struts and add the lowering spring of your choice. Im not sure how well the spring rate of the S tech's and the KYB play together but many people have ran them without incident.

Haha, thanks! I assumed it was a bad idea but, jesus, it'd save some money! I saw your thread about your suspension project. Where did you go to get your KYB's? I found a set on JustSuspension.com for about $215 with a coupon code and they have free shipping. If you found a better deal, please let me know!!!

I'm one broke-ass dad, lol! :icon_cry:

s-techs are the worst spring out there for the 4th gen IMO. Nnot stiff enough to deal with the decrease in susp travel, but too stiff and to low for the stock struts(or even konis or Bils) to deal with properly. fixed perch struts are not meant to be that low or have that little travel.

if you like a harsh ride and bottoming the susp out, s-techs are for you.

Haha, thanks! I assumed it was a bad idea but, jesus, it'd save some money! I saw your thread about your suspension project. Where did you go to get your KYB's? I found a set on JustSuspension.com for about $215 with a coupon code and they have free shipping. If you found a better deal, please let me know!!!

I'm one broke-ass dad, lol! :icon_cry:

Well i went to tirerack.com got the front and rears for the L OH :rolleyes:

Archived