LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra $$$

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????

• Yes
    • No

I have narrowed down my search to a legacy gt or spec-b or a sport xt forester. There is about an 8 grand difference between the gt and spec b. I like the alcantra and the six speed manual, but I really dont see why its so much more. I am leaning towards going with the gt model if I choose a legacy.

How do you guys feel about this?

Thanks

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted "no" but that's just because I didn't see spending all that additional money when the GT really was nice on its own.

I really like the Alcantera inserts and the suspension gets good reviews. The 6speed is nice, but I didn't need it. Thus it came down to the question of did I want to spend a premium for the ability to combine GPS with a manual transmission (MT is a must in my book) and my decision was "no."

I just thought that the LGT was a better value for the money, but I'm certainly no SpecB hater...

the reason, when i was looking at buying my '08, was that the specB/3.0R has the Blisten suspension & the GPS/Navi.

its about 1.5k/2k difference between a fully loaded GT [w/GPS] vs the specB which means that the suspension bits & memory seats & seats make up that difference. Oh yeah and 18" wheels & the 6MT.

Its just up to you if you thing you need all that, if you want the Navigation system and what not. Personally i think the specB is a very good car and honestly If i didnt live in LA and had to fight LA traffic day in and day out would've gone w/the SpecB.

So i vote yes

Having bought new two basic 2006 Foresters, a 2006 spec.B and a 2007 spec.B, I think that you should drive each before deciding. The spec.B is quicker, quieter, more comfortable, and handles better than other Legacys and all Foresters. Is the spec.B worth more to me? Yes. To you? Only you can answer that question. The six-speed manual transmission is leagues ahead of the five-speed manual transmission in ease of use and, probably, in durability. The alcantara polyester microfiber upholstery grips well, is cool in summer, and warm in winter. Of course, the spec.B comes loaded with features and benefits unavailable on the Forester.

I like the forester sport xt because of its extra ground clearance. I am moving back up north soon and wanted awd. So extra ground clearance would be nice too.

Dont both models come with the same engine? How is the spec b faster?

Having bought new two basic 2006 Foresters, a 2006 spec.B and a 2007 spec.B, I think that you should drive each before deciding. The spec.B is quicker, quieter, more comfortable, and handles better than other Legacys and all Foresters. Is the spec.B worth more to me? Yes. To you? Only you can answer that question. The six-speed manual transmission is leagues ahead of the five-speed manual transmission in ease of use and, probably, in durability. The alcantara polyester microfiber upholstery grips well, is cool in summer, and warm in winter. Of course, the spec.B comes loaded with features and benefits unavailable on the Forester.

+1 seats/suspension/6-speed/18"s it worth it, you get your money's worth.

I like the forester sport xt because of its extra road height. I am moving back up north soon and wanted awd. So extra ground clearance would be nice.

The Spec.B has ~1" more clearance than the LGT due to the 18" wheels/tires. The tires are great right out of the box as well.

I like the forester sport xt because of its extra ground clearance. I am moving back up north soon and wanted awd. So extra ground clearance would be nice too.

Dont both models come with the same engine? How is the spec b faster?

The commumity really doesn't know why the Spec.B has more oomph but dynos indicate 15lbs of intial boost compared to the LGT's 13.5.

The Spec.B has ~1" more clearance than the LGT due to the 18" wheels/tires. The tires are great right out of the box as well.

Its actually a .5" if you want to be specific.;) Forgot to mention how much better the tires are on the 18"s than the lgts stockers. No comparison.

Yeah for me the Spec B is worth it, I'll be picking my '07 Spec B up in 2 weeks. When I looked at and tried the regular GT 5mt, an '07 Spec B, and an '08 Spec B, I went with the '07 due to the little things, NAVI, 6mt, Blue inserts, wheels, color, etc, etc. Yeah I know I'm paying more for a car that is pretty much the same, but there are just enough differences between the GT and the Spec B to make me love and enjoy the car more than others.

It's your call though, if you can justify the extra expense, then go for it. If you can't and are really indecisive, then buy the GT and Modify it as best you can, the only problem is you wont ever have the 6mt, unless you really want to spend that much to swap trannys

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Ok honestly this might be a stupid question but couldn't you recreate a spec b sans the transmission and navi with about 2k worth of suspension parts?

Bilstein, Spec B springs, LCA,(optional rims).

Cause to be honest, i don't really care about the navi, the transmission however would be nice since aren't the first three gears from the sti as well.

Any tuning that i am missing?

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Ok honestly this might be a stupid question but couldn't you recreate a spec b sans the transmission and navi with about 2k worth of suspension parts?

Bilstein, Spec B springs, LCA,(optional rims).

Cause to be honest, i don't really care about the navi, the transmission however would be nice since aren't the first three gears from the sti as well.

Any tuning that i am missing?

Unfortunately the 6 speed makes the Spec B slower in 0 to 60 acceleration, as you require an extra shift.

Archived