LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed Up Pipe Install Video

• 3 weeks later...
This is awesome so someone move this to the walkthrough section where it will be found and delete my post pretty please?

Yes that would be great!!

Yeah it definitely does help out a bit and might make this a bit easier than taking to a shop. You will need patience and a bit of elbow grease, please also beware that there are a few other things that need to be removed, the undertray, heat shields, but our time for the video could not support every single step. The bulk of the hard stuff is covered though.

Will

GS your video was AWESOME. You don't need to make ANY excuses. Maybe can you repost it in the Walkthough section. It really belongs in BOTH.

If the watcher of the video is daunted by the turbo heatshield and undertray, possibly they should not attempt the install BUT it would not hurt to have a brief text at the beginning of the video saying: Removal of the turbo heat shield, TMIC, undertray, etc has already been completed for complete newbs of which we are many on the forum.

• 8 months later...
GS your video was AWESOME. You don't need to make ANY excuses. Maybe can you repost it in the Walkthough section. It really belongs in BOTH.

If the watcher of the video is daunted by the turbo heatshield and undertray, possibly they should not attempt the install BUT it would not hurt to have a brief text at the beginning of the video saying: Removal of the turbo heat shield, TMIC, undertray, etc has already been completed for complete newbs of which we are many on the forum.

Thank you for the kind words LAGT! We really enjoy doing the install videos because we know how much it helps when tackling the install. Will is getting pretty good at them too!

Justin Grimm

Thanks to the GS team - good to have you guys on-board. Excellent video(s). Straight-forward and exactly what's needed to get the job done.

Moved to the Performance Walk-through Section with a permanent redirect from here in case someone had bookmarked this one.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...
Although this is a great walkthrough if your car is older than a 07 you may have problems with bolts, Subaru didn't go the distant with quality bolts so they may strip/ or break just be ready with the lube : )

• 1 month later...
quick question. a friend of mine is selling his uppipe but he has an 03 wrx and i have an 06 legacy gt. so i am just wondering if they are compatible with each other. by just looking at the part it looks like it would fit but i just want a professional opinion

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It really depends on what you take off to do the install. I would personally get our gasket kit. Since the install requires the removal of the down pipe you might as well replace all of the exhaust gaskets.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=141&osCsid=5io6c1gc4vkonpt1pgdtlafbi6

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Quick question regarding gaskets. Do you need to take off the exhaust manifolds on both sides, or just the passenger side exhaust manifold to install the up pipe? My first understanding was that you just take off the passenger side, so I only got one exhaust mani to engine gasket, an up pipe to exhaust mani gasket, an up pipe to turbo gasket and a downpipe to turbo gasket.

Just askin so I can get any other ones if i need to before I change it out this weekend. Thanks.

The most recommended procedure on this forum is to drop the entire manifold because it is supposedly difficult to re-couple the crosspipe to either of the driver's side or passenger side portions. I dropped the entire manifold, for what its worth. Others have done just the passenger side (at least I think I have seen posts that say so).

I've done it by both methods, and its easier to drop the whole thing.

FYI, this install isn't difficult. Prob good to have another set of hands if your a first timer, but I'm able to do it alone in 2 hours now that I've done two of them.

Great video, and I'll prob grab one of those gasket kits. Gonna be doing the uppipe in my newer LGT soon.

Yeah, I'm gonna do it over my friends house on saturday. I was waiting until he was able to help because he has an air compressor and impact tools. He also has a wrx, and wanted to learn so he could change the up pipe on his soon.

I'll pick up another engine to manifold gasket then. Is there a need to have a new down pipe to mid pipe gasket? I think I saw someone say something about disconnecting that joint, but I don't think I saw that in other how-tos.

Archived