LegacyGT.com

Fully independent fogs lights

Tried this today and wired the wrong end of the blue and white. when i realized i was wrong i went to correct my mistake. now its wired exactly as shown (short of step 5), still though, i have no fogs at all. I checked the fuse and its fine. Tomorrow im going to wire it back the way it was and see what the issue is. Any ideas?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually not everything. The lights for the radio, climate control, and the window controls don't work either.

*edit*

Nevermind, figured it out. Clue came when i investigated exactly what i was tapping into. Also with none of the interior dash lights working correctly i checked the corresponding fuse and bingo, it was blown; swapped it out and all is well. Weird thing is that i thought that the fogs would work with the parking light switch but it only works when i have the daytime running lamps on AND the switch for the fogs are on. The parking light dosent seem to do anything at all. In any case went well. Kudos to Deer Killer

*edit*

even weirder! i was testing while i was parked, but now i noticed...the lowbeams only shut off if i have the ebrake engaged...weird any ideas?

Edited by rad.rac3r

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Actually not everything. The lights for the radio, climate control, and the window controls don't work either.

*edit*

Nevermind, figured it out. Clue came when i investigated exactly what i was tapping into. Also with none of the interior dash lights working correctly i checked the corresponding fuse and bingo, it was blown; swapped it out and all is well. Weird thing is that i thought that the fogs would work with the parking light switch but it only works when i have the daytime running lamps on AND the switch for the fogs are on. The parking light dosent seem to do anything at all. In any case went well. Kudos to Deer Killer

*edit*

even weirder! i was testing while i was parked, but now i noticed...the lowbeams only shut off if i have the ebrake engaged...weird any ideas?

so your saying you did this with you DRL still active? or were they disconnected?

just wondering because i want to do this mod and scared that the same thing might happen. (my DRL's are disconnected)

so your saying you did this with you DRL still active? or were they disconnected?

just wondering because i want to do this mod and scared that the same thing might happen. (my DRL's are disconnected)

Mine were disconnected, thats why i was having that issue. I forgot to post it on here because someone explained it to me in a pm. So you shouldent have any issues with the DRL's only shutting off when you have the ebrake engaged because yours are already disconnected.

try being a little stingy with your wire stripping and use quick disconnects so if it dosent work, you can plug it right back in where it was. always nice to be able to go back to stock..(relatively lol)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did the headlights myself. Pulled out the amber corner lens. Cleared the whole clear lens with Mothers Headlight Restore kit. Added my HIDs in both low beam and fogs. HIR High Beams. Put in LED turn signals in and the flasher module so they dont hyperblink. The fog mod is sweet, literally like daylight at night now since my fogs stay on with my highs beams too. Altogether a bright setup. I gotta get a pic at night showing everything on at once, the last 2 pics were done before the fog mod, figured Id add them anyway, lol. Must say I love the look of the fogs and halos together. What do you think?

Independent fog mod, so now I can run them with just my halos, night pics soon to come

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=975&pictureid=7382

Figured Id throw in a pic of my halo

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=975&pictureid=7383

Post my lighting for kicks: 5000k 55W Low Beams, 5000k CCFL Halos, 3000K 35W Fogs, LED Turn Signals (white when on, orange when flashing) with turn signal flasher

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=975&pictureid=7384

• 4 months later...
  • I Donated

Just did this today to mine, very happy! Thanks again OP!

For those wondering, the last step I used two tap splices to connect the two wires on the steering column with a small piece of wire going to both splices. This way they didn't have to be cut at all and are connected.

Edited by bucko3the7man

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking about doing this mod this weekend and read the initial write-up but nothing else. I see this is for a 2005 LGT would this be the same for the 2008?

Also has anything changed since the OP?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

I am thinking about doing this mod this weekend and read the initial write-up but nothing else. I see this is for a 2005 LGT would this be the same for the 2008?

Also has anything changed since the OP?

Saddly I never even got an answer when I asked this about my 2001 GT.

Hey all, I have a 2009 Outback. will this mod work on the outback as well? I have 3000K HID conversion fogs and the DRL disabled (white plug pulled). I will be doing step 5 as well to avoid flashing the HID fogs. Thanks

I don't see why the Legacy and Outback would be wired any differently.

I love this fix for the fog lights it is so simple it s brilliant. I have done this on many cars that I "fixed" for other people and it works. I recently did it on my new used suby and I found the flaw in it as stated here. So here it is. If you have a subaru remote start system and you leave the light switch on and remove the key (lights go off). When you use the remote start the next time and push the fob button the fog lights will flash with the parking lights for confirmation. Not all in all a bad thing unless like me you have HID fog lights. (Flashing not good for HID's). Just a heads up still love the "fix" and will still perform and recomend.

Hey all! My first contribution to the forum.. Been lurking for a while and everything Ive read has been such a big help!

Just did the lighting mods to my 05 GT. First thing I did was pull the DRL plug and verify that everything still seems to work. Which it does. High beam indicator, all light functions, dash lights, wiper heaters APPEAR to work. Next was the foglight mod.

These write ups were awesome! However I wanted mine to operate a tad different. I want to roll with my fogs on and parking lights on...but with this mod, it means during the day, you cant see your gauges or radio/HVAC. So I ended up tapping into the "marker light" circuit. THIS way, I can use my fogs with the little "P" switch on top of the column.

WARNING: Fogs will NOT go off with the key out this way. I happen to always set my cars up to have control over the fogs, and never forget to turn them off. Its just a habit I formed. Im going to work on a way to have an alarm when you shut down the car if those lights are on. I can do it now, but the only alarm I know if is an old school buzzer. Ide like to find a "chime" if possible. For another day. Im not 100% sure how the battery saver function works, or if my car has it. So Im not sure if I did forget to turn them off, if the car would save the battery.

I didnt like the idea of cutting the wire for the relay, so I removed the connector from the holder, and bought some .187" female spade connectors. I taped up the wire that I removed, and tucked it securely out of the way.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130315_003_zps2c740984.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130315_004_zps41b7a018.jpg

Remove the blue collar from the terminal, and crimp/solder it onto your new wire, whatever color you chose. I had trailer wiring that I liked the gauge of so I used it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130315_006_zps25a1f22e.jpg

Insert the new connector into the relay block. You might have to open up the terminal a little so it fits on the relay connector. Test fit it first. And when you are inserting the relay, just make sure you keep pressure on the new wire towards the relay, because it doesnt firmly snap into place. Mine stayed in place pretty easy.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130315_007_zps58e59d48.jpg

Now if you want the fogs to truely work ANYTIME the parking lights are on, you need to tap into this orange wire. Im sure there might be another wire, but this one I found to be switched 12v based on the parking light condition. On my car, the fuse for this circuit is fuse 14 I believe. A 15 amp fuse. I simple used a tap, making SURE to squeeze the metal blade fully, and then closed it all up.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130315_008_zps6ab10bcd.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130315_009_zps757888e1.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130315_010_zpsfbbe563b.jpg

It now works exactly how I want. Fogs still go off with high beams. In fact, if all you have is the P switch on, and you press the high beam stalk forward, with the keys out, the fogs will still go out.

Anyway, just thought Ide throw that out there for everyone. Thanks again for the write ups! Cant wait to do more!

J.

EDIT: I just went out to test something that the previous poster brought up. I left the fog light switch turned on, and then used my keyfob to lock/unlock. The parking lights flashed but the fogs did NOT flash. Not sure if that happens to all of you that wire the relay to the illumination wire or not? Just wanted to report that it does in fact not operate the fogs. I actually kind of hoped it would. Makes the car easier to find at night!

Edit #2 (and last): ok I'm an idiot. Totally forgot about the button next to the trip computer. That would give me dash lights back. Duh. What can I say. I've had the car for a week haha. Oh well, I still have the same options only an additional one. I apologize for my subi ignorance :)

Edited by JeepGuy25

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I couldn't find a thread about it after searching...

Is there a way to wire it so your parking lights are not on with your headlights? I'm not a fan of the big blocks of orange at night, I would prefer just the round fogs and headlights.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I couldn't find a thread about it after searching...

Is there a way to wire it so your parking lights are not on with your headlights? I'm not a fan of the big blocks of orange at night, I would prefer just the round fogs and headlights.

I'm not quite sure how you could do something like this and still have tail lights except for just removing the front parking light bulbs. But doing that might eliminate your front turn signals.

They are required by law.

To Jeep guy 25

EDIT: I just went out to test something that the previous poster brought up. I left the fog light switch turned on, and then used my keyfob to lock/unlock. The parking lights flashed but the fogs did NOT flash. Not sure if that happens to all of you that wire the relay to the illumination wire or not? Just wanted to report that it does in fact not operate the fogs. I actually kind of hoped it would. Makes the car easier to find at night!

Correct I also have tried that and with the door remote keyless the fogs do not flash. If the vehicle is equipped with the factory remote start or the add on factory remote start when the remote start fob button is pressed the fogs will flash and will come on with the lighting for remote start due to the way the remote start module is wired into the supplied connector in the car. Not a big deal if you run standard halogen bulbs in the for location but not so great with HID fogs. Still a great mod!! just some tweaks here and there to make it your own and fit your needs.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a constant on or acc. fuse or wire to tap into that doesn't require me to go into the radio or trip display? I don't have a meter with me and I want to wire it so the fogs work independent of the parking lights (fogs only).
"This is an adventure."