LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT Smoking Under The Hood

I just had an oil change today and on the drive home I noticed white smoke coming out whenever i would idle at a light for a couple minutes. I pulled off the road to check the engine and a steady streaming of white smoke accompanied with the smell of burning oil came out. I called back to Jiffy Lube where I hate it serviced and they said to bring it back.

After looking over the car they said it came from spilling some oil on my exhaust while taking out the oil filter. They told me not to worry and that it would smoke some more but should go away soon.

I drove about 40 miles after they inspected the cause of the smoking and it is still smoking. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence for other legacy drivers and if they are being truthful? Also if this is true how long should it take for all that oil to burn off, while it's not smoking quite as much as before it still is somewhat and has a strong oil burning aroma whenever i pop the hood when the engine is running.

Thank you so much.

I wouldn't necessarily say normal occurance, but oil on exhaust can stay for quite a while...especially if its on the heat shield (likely if they got it on there from the filter) where it doesn't warm up as much as right on the pipe. depending on how much they actually spilled it could take a while. If It were me, I could lay under the front of the car and remove the oil filter cover and see if I could see where the oil was on the exhaust. If they spilled it sideways when removing the filter (they would have had to to hit the manifold heat shield) it should be readily visable...if they were really carless they could have damaged the oil filter cooler hose and that would require immediate attention. safer to check then just wait.

yeah gypsie lube is not your friend. What year is your car? I never got oil on my exhaust enough to cause smoke.

Thread title - "2005 Legacy GT Smoking Under The Hood"

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

hmm you can I can get a little oil on the exhast while changing the oil.....but you have to try to spill enough enough oil to make it smoke.....the worst I ever got was a smell and that goes away after a few miles of driving......

I still wanna know how they got oil on your exhaust from your oil filter. On my 05 the oil filter is under the front end of the car, when i change mine it never goes anywhere near the exhaust.

its in between the ex manifold, its pretty easy to get oil on it

but i dunno op, change the filter yourself? who knows what jiffy lube did

its in between the ex manifold, its pretty easy to get oil on it

but i dunno op, change the filter yourself? who knows what jiffy lube did

Really? Everytime i open my little trap door i see the pipes but i have never once come close to getting it on the pipes. Just wondering how jiffylube pulls it off and me a banker has no problems lol. But yes to answer your question if you get oil on the pipes it will smoke for a little while. Everytime i change my bikes oil i get some on the header and it smokes for an hour or so afterwards.

Op here. I'm taking the car in to Subaru for a service now and I'll post what they tell me happened. Thanks for your help guys. No matter what at this point I'm never using jiffy lube again. To top it off I this is my first time using them and it was almost $90 for just an oil change!

1. aftermarket oil filters are known to leak.

2. oil can spray all over the place because of the air turbulence in the engine bay while driving.

3. Never... Never take your vehicle to jiffy lube/walmart/joe schmo from idaho places. they probably re-used your crush gasket.. if they even put one on.

I use to see jiffy lube oil changes come in all the time because of oil leaks at my suby dealership.

Op here. I'm taking the car in to Subaru for a service now and I'll post what they tell me happened. Thanks for your help guys. No matter what at this point I'm never using jiffy lube again. To top it off I this is my first time using them and it was almost $90 for just an oil change!

:eek:

I have no doubt they didn't use a crushable washer when reinstalling your oil pan bolt, you could have a small leak from there also... At the price they charged you, there should have been prime rib in your car when you got it back.

I just had an oil change today and on the drive home I noticed white smoke coming out whenever i would idle at a light for a couple minutes. I pulled off the road to check the engine and a steady streaming of white smoke accompanied with the smell of burning oil came out. I called back to Jiffy Lube where I hate it serviced and they said to bring it back.

After looking over the car they said it came from spilling some oil on my exhaust while taking out the oil filter. They told me not to worry and that it would smoke some more but should go away soon.

I drove about 40 miles after they inspected the cause of the smoking and it is still smoking. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence for other legacy drivers and if they are being truthful? Also if this is true how long should it take for all that oil to burn off, while it's not smoking quite as much as before it still is somewhat and has a strong oil burning aroma whenever i pop the hood when the engine is running.

Thank you so much.

I had the same issue, but after I came out of a car wash with an under carriage wash. Turned out, the oil lines that run to the turbo sometimes come loose (mine had only a couple thousand miles when it happened) and the result is a leak onto the heat shield and exhaust manifold. The dealership told me it was due to engine movement and <said they> installed a modified bracket to keep it from moving. I didn't see anything different, but they fixed the issue (after the second time I took it to them) and hasn't been a problem since. All covered under warranty as well.

Your oil smoke seems to be coming from the same place, and if it's the same issue will get a little worse over time. Mine went about 30 days (between the frist fix and the second) and I didn't have any motor issues ... just the annoying smell!

Hope this helps!!

Archived