LegacyGT.com

Another P0304:06 legacy gt spec b!

As the title says,another P0304 thread.This recurring problem has appeared 2 times in a span of 2 months since ownership of this vehicle back in Nov 2014.The code only appears during cold start up and no noticeable loss of power,no misfire appears when it shows up.It stays there for maybe for 30 miles and check engine lights goes off.The car has 114,xxx miles and it runs strong no other issues associated with this.No other codes besides this appear.Any ideas on what it could it be other than compression loss?!

What do you mean no misfire appears when it shows up? The code indicates that the ecu has registered 40 misfires.

My engine is the same - appears during start-up, feels like it runs strong, isn't noticeably rougher than it has been, and the ring land is probably broken.

http://i.imgur.com/oSBIitk.jpg?1

While there are things you can do to try and diagnose it (switch injectors, coil packs, and spark plugs).

My guess is you have a cracked ring land. A compression and leakdown test is about $150 and will tell you where it stands.

well thats a bumer,good thing i got a warranty for the sucker,just need to wait 30 days to use it,i thought it might be a spark plug or something simple.To top it aall off,im not the to diagnose as i am deployed overseas and my wife is driving it for now

What do you mean no misfire appears when it shows up? The code indicates that the ecu has registered 40 misfires.

My engine is the same - appears during start-up, feels like it runs strong, isn't noticeably rougher than it has been, and the ring land is probably broken.

http://i.imgur.com/oSBIitk.jpg?1

While there are things you can do to try and diagnose it (switch injectors, coil packs, and spark plugs).

My guess is you have a cracked ring land. A compression and leakdown test is about $150 and will tell you where it stands.

maybe what i meant was is that the ecu dosent continue to see any more activity of misfire after startup, and if u drive it for 30 miles,the cel goes away

well thats a bumer,good thing i got a warranty for the sucker,just need to wait 30 days to use it,i thought it might be a spark plug or something simple.To top it aall off,im not the to diagnose as i am deployed overseas and my wife is driving it for now

Warranty won't cover a new shortblock, I can almost guarantee you this. Remember, a warranty is an insurance policy, and, unless you've paid the equivalent of 10k for it, they won't be footing the bill, even less whatever deductible, for a new motor, plus all the related parts and labor.

Had you known within the first 30 days of ownership, you'd have rights to take it back to the dealer and get your money back. Now, well. . See my Shopping List and rebuild thread.

We're/I'm here for you if you want/need help along the way. It can be a somewhat trying time.

maybe what i meant was is that the ecu dosent continue to see any more activity of misfire after startup, and if u drive it for 30 miles,the cel goes away

Yep mine doesn't either. I had to drive 30 minutes to the shop to get that compression / leakdown test done. I was monitoring the misfires - they were only hitting about 3, and frequently 0-1. My CEL has only come on once too.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean everything is ok.

Warranty won't cover a new shortblock, I can almost guarantee you this. Remember, a warranty is an insurance policy, and, unless you've paid the equivalent of 10k for it, they won't be footing the bill, even less whatever deductible, for a new motor, plus all the related parts and labor.

Had you known within the first 30 days of ownership, you'd have rights to take it back to the dealer and get your money back. Now, well. . See my Shopping List and rebuild thread.

We're/I'm here for you if you want/need help along the way. It can be a somewhat trying time.

......well i might be looking into this then because i got a extended warranty by endurance warranty and after reading my contract and going over coverage for more than an hour with the rep,he reassure me it was cover because it was outlined in the contract as a lubricated internal part!

Yep mine doesn't either. I had to drive 30 minutes to the shop to get that compression / leakdown test done. I was monitoring the misfires - they were only hitting about 3, and frequently 0-1. My CEL has only come on once too.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean everything is ok.

got it! makes perfect sense!:lol:

I am having a similar issue. Being a Florida car, my OB is first experiencing sub zero temperature and thus freaks out on start up. Was blowing a misfire for cylinder 2 (P0204?) After a while, well more than 30 miles, it finally went away. But after starting it last night at -7 degrees, the light is back on.. but I haven't had a chance to bring it in to see what the code is this time. I can only imagine that it would be the same code though

Get a compression test done.

Also- many of us on this forum, including myself back in Aug 2013, threw this code, and it turned out to be a simple wonky fuel injector that went bad.

This code is not a guaranteed shortblock death sentence.

After a private 'specialty' shop wrote my engine off completely and suggested a new shortblock to the tune of $4500.00, The Subaru dealership came back to me and said they could get the dead injector replaced for about 300 bucks. I save myself $4200 bucks by getting the second opinion.

I'm just saying, it's not all doom and gloom with this code.

Also- many of us on this forum, including myself back in Aug 2013, threw this code, and it turned out to be a simple wonky fuel injector that went bad.

After a private 'specialty' shop wrote my engine off completely and suggested a new shortblock to the tune of $4500.00, The Subaru dealership came back to me and said they could get the dead injector replaced for about 300 bucks. I save myself $4200 bucks by getting the second opinion.

Did you have a compression test done by the specialty shop?

No- most any automotive shop can do one.

Helps to have a shop familiar with turbo Subarus do it though. Usually it is required to lift the motor off the mounts to get to the plug holes. Super tight spot between valve covers and frame.

i want to say i will definitely get the car inspected by my local subie dealership(mechanic is pretty good friends with me) and get her diagnose.After researching other threads i have found 3 things to be the most likely couse:

1)injectors

2)compression(OB2.5XT suggested and MrTris also kinda queue in on)

3)electrical(coil packs,spark plugs,wiring etc)

but the only sure way to know would be compression and leak down!

Did you have a compression test done by the specialty shop?

I asked them to do it, but they had an older tool that they couldn't get clamped on to my engine properly.

They did tell me they swapped all the injectors around to see if the code jumped around to different cylinders, like any mechanic would do, and that they deemed the injectors to all be fine.

So they figured it was cracked pistons or ringlands, something internal that was the culprit and a whole new shortblock was the best repair.

I said 'thanks' and took it to my Subaru dealership the next morning where they spent a few minutes figuring out that an injector was indeed toast and that would need to be replaced. I was back on the road, repaired, in a day.

that too,coming from a wrx,this intake manifolds look like crappy and cheap,so i dnt even want to know about the gasket used on these things lol :lol:

Actually, these manifolds are superior to WRX/STi metal manifolds. . . Once you've got the orange o-rings in there, you'll seal up just fine.

is this also performance wise,and if so,how so?:confused:

The designs are nearly identical, the materials are different. Plastic dissipates heat better than the metal manifolds. If you look at many of the high-HP builds, they use the black plastic ones, too -

The designs are nearly identical, the materials are different. Plastic dissipates heat better than the metal manifolds. If you look at many of the high-HP builds, they use the black plastic ones, too -

u learn something new everyday! thanks man! :cool:

Archived