LegacyGT.com

What cleaning products do you use?

I know this has probably been covered but I haven't been able to find an answer to what I am looking for so far.

What car soap, wheel cleaner, wax and clay bar would you ideally use to detail your vehicle?

I just picked up my Legacy and I want it to look new forever!

Soap-ICE but preferably Meguiar's

Clay-Meguiar's

Polishes-Optimum

Wax-Optimum Poli-Seal, Meg's Gold class if I dont feel like pulling out the Porter cable

I use alot of Meguiars.They are my preferred OTC brand. I love Poli-Seal though. It still beads like 4 months after in the Texas heat, I could care less about a show car depth with wax on a DD. http://www.autopia.org is a great forum on detailing.

Danase - do you have a detailing kit that you sell? I see some great products on your site, it'd be nice to just buy an already well thought out package deal.

We used to but not any more. The kits never sold well because customers always wanted to switch things anyway. So we just started offering discounts to the forums we sponsor, and right now everyone gets 15% off without any coupon code needed. :) If anyone needs help choosing products feel free to email me at any time and I'll help you out.

bob at danase.com.

I know this has probably been covered but I haven't been able to find an answer to what I am looking for so far.

What car soap, wheel cleaner, wax and clay bar would you ideally use to detail your vehicle?

I just picked up my Legacy and I want it to look new forever!

Coming from a car detailer...

Car soap, I either use Meguairs Crystal Car Wash (in the pink bottle), or Turtle Wax Zip Wax Carwash.

For the wheel cleaner, I actually just use some car soap and go through the wheels with another sponge. You dont need those spray on cleaners for wheels. Most are abrasive, not good for your wheels and you dont need to spend the extra 5 bucks when you already got a bucket of carwash.

Clay Magic makes the best claybar, I always use it.

Annnd for wax, this is where it gets tricky. You can use a sealant, which isnt technically a "wax" cuz it has no carnauba, or you can use the traditional carnauba. The main differences between the two is the sealant is kind of a "synthetic" wax, designed to last a long time. Some say it doesnt produce as rich of a finish as natural wax. I say if you do it the right way, sealant is actually an excellent way to go. I use 3M Performance Finish on my Legacy. I've only needed to use it once and every time I wash it its like it was just waxed.

If you want to go the wax route though, I say either go with Meguairs NXT generation wax, or the Zymol is supposed to be great. I personally havnt used it, but the East Coast distributor of Zymol lives right down the street from me, and his cars are always looking good of course.

Hope that helps. Keep your car clean enough and it will hold its value very well and will look good for a loooong time.

I love when people post Meguiars is the best!! Dude we drive $30k cars. Do it some justice and don't just shop at your local auto store. Go high quality. Get some good stuff like Wolfgang, Klasse, or Danase.

:whore:

but I have to add Optimum to the list. I have so many products from Megs, Wolfgang, Klasse, Pinnacle, 303, etc, but damn, Optimum makes all those look like OTC products.

I use Optimum Car Wash or Optimum No-Rise Wash for washing, and Optimum Spray Wax after each wash.

Wheels and tires I just use the same wash and wax the car gets. Tires get dressed with either Optimum Tire Shine or Megs Hot Tire Shine in the winter.

For clay I use either Pinnacle UltraPoly Clay or Megs.

For polishes I use Optimum Compound, Optimum Polish and Optimum PoliSeal (all-in-one), cant wait to try their new Final Polish.

For sealing I use Optimum PoliSeal, topped with Optimum OptiSeal or Pinnacle Signature Series II wax.

Interior gets cleaned with Optimum All-Purpose Cleaner or Optimum No-Rise Wash and then Optimum Tire Shine (yes, tire shine inside. matte look like 303 and doesnt smell or give me headaches like 303 does. water based and has uv-a and uv-b protectants). I use Megs Quik Interior Detailer on my lcd screens.

303 Fabric Guard on cloth and Alcantara and Wolfgang Leather cleaner & conditioner for the leather.

Windows get clayed (megs), then polished (klasse aio). Normally just a moist towel, followed with a dry buff for regular cleaning, Stoners Invisible Glass when I need something stronger.

Rubber and plastic trim gets Optimum Tire Shine or 303 Aerospace protectant, and headlights and taillights get klasse aio.

Klasse All-In-One, Klasse Sealant Glaze, Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Wolfgangs Paintwork Polish Enhancer, Megs Show Car Glaze and Megs Scratch-X are all wonderful products though that will always have a place on my shelf (behind the Optimum stuff). They are great for certain things.

almost any name brand is good as long as it can be used with what you have: mother's clay bar, then zymol, then mother's hard carnuba wax, armor all wheel cleaner, armor all dash, stoner's glass cleaner, rain-x treatment, zymol leather cleaner, zymol leater conditioner....the list can go on. go out and try stuff and see what you like, beauty is in your eyes...

almost any name brand is good as long as it can be used with what you have: mother's clay bar, then zymol, then mother's hard carnuba wax, armor all wheel cleaner, armor all dash, stoner's glass cleaner, rain-x treatment, zymol leather cleaner, zymol leater conditioner....the list can go on. go out and try stuff and see what you like, beauty is in your eyes...
:nono:

I love when people post Meguiars is the best!! Dude we drive $30k cars. Do it some justice and don't just shop at your local auto store. Go high quality. Get some good stuff like Wolfgang, Klasse, or Danase.

You can get those expensive waxes for peace of mind if you like, but applied properly many different types of waxes and sealants can be used. It's all a matter fo finding which ones work best for you and trial and error. It's not set in stone that Wolfgang or Danase is going to do anything more for you than a bottle of Turtle Wax if you're able to apply it correctly.

Archived