LegacyGT.com

Alternator belt!

So I was driving, then smoke started pouring out and my engine cuts off. I check under the hood and my belts are gone. I tow it to a autozone, change the belts but the engine turns it just wont start, like there is no fuel. I looked at the crank pulley and its wobbly when it spins. I took out some rubber from crankshaft or behind the crank pulley. I am all out of guesses. If anyone has any insight or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know how to remove the crank pulley, or the tools needed for that job, I want to take off the pulley and plastic covering and check to see if the rubber got into the timing belt or if there is more rubber behind the crank and plastic that I cant see. But I dont know why the engine wont start, it just turns and turns and turns , likes its going to start but it wont.

Crank pulley comes off with one bolt... Wedge a breaker bar against the frame and blip the starter for half a second, it should loosen it. You may need to take out the radiator and fans to do that. From there it's just several bolts to get the plastic covers off. Is there oil all around the crank pulley?

If your pulley wobbles, then it probably started to split itself in two pieces, taking the accessory belts with it. You're lucky that one of the belts did not get between the pulley and the TB cover and destroy your timing belt (and engine too).

You can take the pulley off as well as the TB cover without taking the radiator off but you should take the fans off. You can implement SSpeed's method to take the pulley off. IIRC, the crank pulley bolt is a 22mm.

As to why it does not start, I am not sure..That is weird indeed. Even without the accessory belts, it should start. I tried it before.

No oil anywhere, but behind the pulley I could see that the belt wrapped itself around the crankshaft right behind pulley and it seems like it went behind the tb cover behind the plastic. Which is why i want to check and make sure no loose belt wire is still in there. When I get back to my car tommorrow, i'll take a video or picture with my phone to give a better idea of the problem. As soon as the belt went the car basically died, I think my battery is shitty and can only start it not run it, but when I had tried starting it at autozone i was trying to start of aux battery and still nothing. So I started to think fuel pump or something, checked all the fuses everything is good. Any quick way to check if fuel pump is working? Or am I going in wrong direction?

I'm trying to remember where the Crank position sensor gets it's signal from.

I'm thinking if the pulley is that bad...the sensor is either toast or just can't get a good signal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank god its the pulley, the way its wobbling I thought the shaft was bent.... How would the pulley going bad, brake the crank position sensor? If the crank position sensor doesnt work, would that cause the car not to start?

I'm thinking if the pulley is that bad...the sensor is either toast or just can't get a good signal.

Well, the sensor gets its signal from the spacing between the 'teeth' at the back of the crankshaft sprocket. When my tensioner sheared off of the engine block, it took the crankshaft sprocket's teeth with it :mad:. This picture I took may help illustrate the location of the sensor as well as the 'teeth' I am referring to.

I'd doubt the crankpulley would have damaged that sensor but who knows..

crankshaftsproket.png.102e3efb921a2168bb86b42d4cf98a71.png

Uhh. The crank(shaft) position sensor gets its signal from the crankshaft sprocket. It's located (counterintuitively) just above the crankshaft.

It could be a relay if your fuel pump relay suddenly failed. If you turn the key to the accessory position, you should hear a humming noise from under your right rear seat (where the primary fuel pump is located). If you don't hear anything, you have a fuel pump problem.

When the belt came off did it hit anything ? It may have knocked something off.

Do you have a CEL, can you check for codes ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Would a bad CP sensor make a car not start? What are some of the symptoms for bad cp sensor?

A faulty crankshaft position sensor could certainly prevent the car from starting. Your PCM uses the crankshaft position as a reference for timing, i.e. ignition, fuel injection, etc.

Symptoms of a faulty crankshaft position sensor can include, but are not limited to: poor idle, stumbling, hesitation under load, lack of power, generally shitty performance, poor gas mileage, no-start condition, etc.

Here it is from the outside. Not saying that's the issue, it could be a number of things.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4714.jpg

You're going in the wrong direction by discussing the fuel pump. You know the belt failed, stick to that area. It concerns me you said the alternator belt was wrapped around the crankshaft behind the crank pulley. I'm guessing your timing belt is gone.

I took off the side tb covers and the belt is still there. The only codes pulled were misfire in cylinder 1 and 3. I think I'll have a better idea of whats going on after I get the crank pulley and middle tb cover off. It was wrapped up but I got most of it out, but it was really wound up in there. It feels the same as when the engine keeps turning like it wants to start but has no fuel which is why I thought fuel! But the timing belt is still there!

ok. How's the tension on the timing belt? You should provide some pics of the crank pulley, damages, etc..

Misfiring? not sure why at this point. Interesting to note that both misfiring occurred on the passenger side..

When you take off the crank pulley, inspect also the woodruff key for damage. I am starting to think that having misfires on one side of the engine sounds like a timing issue.. Wondering if the failed pulley did not mess up the woodruff key also.

1 and 3 misfires sounds like timing to me too, I wouldn't turn it over anymore, but the damage is probably already done if it's off.

The keyway is a good point, our Outback had a wobbly pulley and the keyway was 3 times the size it should have been. We never had misfires though.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/20120224_154740.jpg

ding ding ding, we have a winner! gttuner hit it right on the head, timing belt jumped. The old belt didnt have any marks so i bought a new one and replaced it along with crank position sensor, and it fired right up! Thanks everyone for spending the time to help me with my problem , all of your input was greatly appreciated. I ordered a new lightweight pulley as well because thats what started this fiasco. Thanks again!

Archived