LegacyGT.com

problem after front wheel bearing replacement

Hello all This is my first post here and i wish it were on better terms. Well ill get right to the point. I replaced my drivers front hub assembly just to find out after my test drive that the bad wheel bearing I had was on the passenger side. :mad:(the problem wasnt there yet) So I ordered another hub assembly for the passenger side and installed it. This side came off much easier (being the second time i did it in 3 days) but after installing it the steering is messed up. It isnt smooth at all jerks when turning in both directions and if i had to describe the sound/feel it has I would say it sounds and feels like what strut rattle is to suspension. I dont see how i could have messed anything up because nothing was ceased and its about the most straight forward wheel bearing i have ever done. This sh*ts weak please help.

thanks in advance

thanks underdog for responding. I didnt use a torque wrench to tighten the axel nut but if the torque spec is 162 ft/lb i should be pretty close to that number give or take. Is it imperitive for the nut to be exact. I always just kind of followed those as more of a guideline.

:eek: it's the axle nut! how do you know you are "pretty close"?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I realise that there is no way for me to really know how tight it is without a torque wrench but for what its worth it was only like twenty pounds loose. I am a noob so in my defense im just going to say i didnt have a torque wrench with me at the time of install. Thank you for the help because indeed it was the axel nut. Only one though. One was spot on and the other about twenty pounds on the loose side. Im batting .500 at least. Once again thank you for the help...good thing i have a 86 mazda beast to drive when this thing is down.

In my opinion that would take A LOT of pounding. Im all good. I didnt even think about the axel nut because the problem was so severe and when inspecting both sides they were identical. Problem solved, lesson learned thanks again for the help. :)

Archived