LegacyGT.com

Which head gasket for EJ25D in 97 outback

It's a volume non-brand specific ebay seller with only 400+/- feedback (likely one of a hundred accounts a vendor has used). I wouldn't do it. While there is 80% or more chance the gaskets are find, go with someplace where near zero complaints have been made, like the brand specific vendors and/or suppliers.

Just for fun, have you checked the Subaru dealer? I actually just picked up a thermostat for less than the online folks when shipping was calculated in ($21 with gasket).

six star mls gaskets. http://www.neimportedparts.com/index.php thats what my subaru mech uses. better than the oem headgasket i believe which is only single layered with some fiber/paper looking material on it. i don't think you can order from that website though, you have to get it from a garage/mechanic/vendor which i got from my mechanic. my mechanic does headgaskets all the time, and according to him once he'd done it with these, they never return.

if you look on that website, they also have a transmission snout sleeve kit too, very similar to the Tranquil Sleeve kit that many subie guys buy. makes me wonder if the Tranquil guys just rebox the six star stuff.

six star mls gaskets. http://www.neimportedparts.com/index.php thats what my subaru mech uses. better than the oem headgasket i believe which is only single layered with some fiber/paper looking material on it. i don't think you can order from that website though, you have to get it from a garage/mechanic/vendor which i got from my mechanic. my mechanic does headgaskets all the time, and according to him once he'd done it with these, they never return.

if you look on that website, they also have a transmission snout sleeve kit too, very similar to the Tranquil Sleeve kit that many subie guys buy. makes me wonder if the Tranquil guys just rebox the six star stuff.

Not to pound on you but I still think OEM is better than anything else out there. Aftermarket stuff is just blah with fitment and quality issues now adays.

^^^^ not necessarily

This will be a never ending issue. OEM versus aftermarket.

My thoughts are it depends on the source.

Fitment issues have been found with ebay hard parts, but things like gaskets (except HG) etc have not been problematical.

It is purely a personal choice.

I use both, all depends on time needed , cost and desired end result.

O.

Not to pound on you but I still think OEM is better than anything else out there. Aftermarket stuff is just blah with fitment and quality issues now adays.
if you say so. you probably couldn't get these even if you want to because like i said you have to be a garage/mechanic or whatever which is dumb. i tried with no luck which is why i got it through my subie mechanic.

if you get oem just make sure you get the latest updated headgasket theres a couple of revisions. when i did my brother's 01 2.5rs, i went to order from dealership, and when i got it, checked the part number and it was the outdated part. sent it back, then went to a subie forum vendor that sold oem gasket/rebuild kit. i was assured it was the latest part but again it was not. i've also read of people using the turbo headgaskets because they are more reliable, but i'm not 100% on the details.

I myself just ordered a head gasket kit from a place on the West Coast called All Wheel Drive Auto that is an independant Subaru shop http://allwheeldriveauto.com/schedule/ that claims the 3 pcs six star mls gaskets are the real deal for replacing the HG's. I just recently changed the HG on my car so only time will tell. They seemed to be very friendly and knowledgable people to deal with.

When I was at DPS here in Gaithersburg, MD (a Subie specialty shop) I asked and they said the Subaru ones would be most likely what they would use. That's not necessary the 'stock' originals, but better ones that Subaru now sells knowing the more likely failures of the original design.

I have not crossed referenced this information however.

Out of 10 what degree of difficulty compared to normal petrol engines to change headgaskets,I guess I am asking how many tedious hours and any usefull tips,mines a2.5 litre Legacy estate version

thanks

10 cause you gotta pull the motor. well you don't have to but its very difficult to do it in car.

a guy on youtube did but ended up scarring up places in the head and 50 miles down the road blew the gasket again, pulled the motor, and did it right.
Considering the guy did the video for YT...not surprising. There doesn't seem to be a good correlation with certain posters and quality on YT.

I was curious if anyone here on the forum had tried it.

The first one I did I ended up re-doing the passenger head in the car due to mis-cleaning the surface. I have also seen both sides done in the car, not a biggie. Just have to have enough tool options (I work at a shop).

As far as pulling the engine, the last one I did took about 1.5 hours to pull the engine, add a little if you are turbo to unbolt the downpipe. Add a little if an automatic car for the trans lines.

I have also done about 9-10 head gasket jobs in the last year.

It's like pulling an air cooled VW engine, just in the front of the car with coolant and fuel injection haha.

OH and one other thing I forgot to mention, I did my first EJ25D head gasket job a couple months ago. You have to pull the camshafts out of the head to get to the head bolts. The head bolts are directly under the cams.

As far as gaskets go, I use Fel-Pro, Cometic, or OEM. I give the client/customer the choice and choose according to their usage for the car. OEM for anal people, Fel-pro in my auto cars, people on a budget, and people who don't race their cars. Cometic for the turbo guys.

Archived