LegacyGT.com

What to do with a Legacy on a budget?!?

Hey, I'm a sorta new owner of a 97 LGT and I'm lucky to have gotten a car like this one. It's my first and I love it. However, I'm going to college and on a strict budget. I still want to modify my car but not really sure what I can do when i have to spend my money carefully. My dad is paying for my windows to be tinted since I live in TX and it gets hot here soon. But would like more ideas. Pls help.

My Ideas:

-Lighting (Interior/Exterior)

-Suspension

-Audio

I'm new to this help would be appreciated!

http://starsociety.tumblr.com

574479_509302519083541_998778733_n.jpg.5d3feaff0482e1bd1aa53e5f5fde680d.jpg

185502_509302569083536_170365499_n.jpg.9acadd85bafd80ae6764b41c19d19dac.jpg

^Completely different body style but you can come up with something similar. ;)

A good start is to just tune it up and fix oil leaks, timing belt and in your case watch the headgaskets. Not a big fan of the cone filter because I think you can't improve on the stock airbox. New plugs, wires, clean the throttle body, etc.

Your GT brakes are really nice so no need to upgrade them, but nice pads will be a noticeable improvement. KYB-GR2s w/or w/out lowering springs are a good strut upgrade without breaking the bank. A Whiteline or Rallitek rear sway bar will make a huge difference in handling. Later you can upgrade the endlinks.

For me, swapping in JDM projector headlights was a huge improvement, not only for looks but for safety. I can see so much better at night. JDM fogs would be sick but will require you to modify your bumper a bit, but there are really good write ups on how to do it. I wish I had a GT bumper.

A nice sound system sure makes any car a lot more enjoyable. First get a new head unit. I really like the Kenwood decks. Mine were about $100 and sound great. Then get some new coaxials for the front, and later maybe get a single 10" sub and you will be set. I have two 14" subs in the back of my wagon, but I found them in the classifieds for $20, lol.

Check out superbrightleds.com for some cheap interior lights. I replaced my dome light with an led and it is great and was only $10 shipped. If you are feeling randy you can get different colors.

As far as wheels, I'd stick with your snowflakes for now since they are nice and look good. You can paint them cheaply in any color you like. Your local auto body shop can mix you up a couple of rattle cans for about $15 each. If you prep them right they can look fantastic. I would recommend buying a few cans of high quality clear coat as well.

You have a great platform to tinker with. The BDs are a classic body style! Good luck and it's great to see a college student make the best of their resources and willing to put in some elbow grease and learn something. :)

Not a big fan of the cone filter because I think you can't improve on the stock airbox.

allow me to correct your thinking... courtesy of NASIOC..

Hello all,

mi_cistemz_loudr, previously sent me his Ebay intake to dyno test on my car. I received it and completed dyno testing it against my stock intake and my Minnam Intake. I'm ONLY posting up stock vs Ebay intake since this post isn't about my Minnam intake. Let's cut to the chase.

Car: 1997 2.2ltr Subaru Outback Sport Wagon (AWD/Auto)

Current mods:

Unorthodox underdriven pulley

2.25" cat back exhaust/Dual Remus Muffler

Using 89 octane gas. Tire pressures are good. I did 4 runs a piece (12 total if you count my other 4 for the Minnam intake [not shown]). 2 runs were done at a time and the ECU unplugged until intake temps dropped below 89F (measured by a laser temp probe). Once temps were cool enough, ECU was plugged back in. HP/TQ figures used are the 2nd highest of the two most consistent runs.

Here is a horsepower graph showing the Ebay intake vs the stock intake in 3rd gear.

http://home.comcast.net/~thomasck/EbayIntakeHP.jpg

*Note at 4800rpm, the Ebay intake makes 94.88whp vs the stock intakes 84.88whp. A full 10whp difference in some areas on a 2.2ltr engine.

Let's look at the torque curve.

http://home.comcast.net/~thomasck/EbayIntakeTQ.jpg

At the same rpm point, the Ebay intake makes 103.33lb-ft of torque vs the stock intake 92.43lb-ft of torque. That's a 10.9lb-ft of torque increase. Not bad at all.

Here's the breakdown of how the Ebay intake is from the bottom of 1st gear to the top of 3rd gear.

http://home.comcast.net/~thomasck/Ebay1st-3rd_Gear.jpg

Gains could possibly be more on the bigger displacemented 2.5RS. So there you have it. I have to run out to pick up my wife. Questions and comments are welcome. Ebay intakes kick arse! :lol: Stop wasting your hard earned $$$ on Cobb and other really expensive intakes. I've been saying this all along.

This also disproves the 'theory' that a Torque Box is needed. My Impreza has that container/box thingamajigga attached to the intake. With the Ebay straight pipe, torque was gained tremendously as you can tell.

Thanks Zues! I have heard again and again that the stock airbox was the best so I assumed that it must be true. Plus brokn said it was true! :lol: Also heard that it can cause problems with the MAF but again that might be hearsay.

10.9 ft-lbs increase?!? Sweet. I might have to get one for both of my subies!

Although the engine and the car in general looks to be in great shape, it is a 16-year old car. For now, I would focus on the basics. Tune-up, tires, climate control (especially AC ... used year-round here in Texas!), lighting, brakes, and drivetrain. In the course of taking care of the basics, your limited budget could be eaten up by a single repair bill. And, without the basics, you are stuck without a car. Mods and upgrades are gravy and should only be considered after a thorough inspection, repair and maintenance of the basic systems.

I agree with Hemingway most people neglect the maintenance. I would not be surprised if you have to do head gaskets before long. If I ever bought one of these cars again I would factor that into the price. I have a longer list of parts replaced on this car then any I ever owned but I still love it.

allow me to correct your thinking... courtesy of NASIOC..

That dyno sheet is for a 2.2... completely different from the 2.5(which I'm sure you know)

My experience with the cone filter with a 2.2 sucked... high charge temps (I'm from Texas as well) along with the dust, of course climate changes affect all aspects of how a car runs. Subaru doesn't like heat very much since they by nature and design create heat quicker than most types of layouts.

Since I started with a weaponR (wasn't the cheap dragon cone filter)mine was the secret weapon cotton filter with a velocity stack I ended up doing the hybrid style box and 3inch tube. My low and mid range intake was way more responsive, high range did take a hit though...cone filter is better over 3000 rpm to redline. I don't drive 80mph everywhere.

Intake options should be based on what you want out of it especially concerning the climate you live in....if you live in a cool to mild climate the cone will be better for you than like el paso Texas where it is 90-100 degrees 6 months out of the year it is better to draw your intake charge from anywhere but the motor bay.

Thanks Zues! I have heard again and again that the stock airbox was the best so I assumed that it must be true. Plus brokn said it was true! :lol: Also heard that it can cause problems with the MAF but again that might be hearsay.

10.9 ft-lbs increase?!? Sweet. I might have to get one for both of my subies!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/2336567174_726e761897_o.png

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/2335732841_5c1781e4c7_o.png

its not hearsay.

^^ did you remove the snorkus from the fender liner? i felt a little more responsiveness once i finally removed that nearly useless thing..

its not hearsay.

where did those come from?

although I wouldn't imagine there would be too much of a difference with the extra .3L displacement and a couple more cams on that dyno, nothing to brag about anyways. I do, however, remember reading some drawn out thread that says it's more beneficial to use the OEM 'slinky' type intake pipe due to the airflow and decreased resistance into the IM

as far as sways, the OEM Tribeca 25mm is awesome... as long as you're running a 20+mm rear sway, but the bar and bushings bolt right up without a problem and its <$100

and idk what happened to the aftermarket parts sticky but its replacement got absolutely butchered.

so here's a link to one that isn't clouded with opinions and misinformation: (although some links are probably dead)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/second-gen-aftermarket-parts-and-upgrade-guide-superceded-147261.html

I'm just of the belief that dynamics of air intake and combustion change under climate and elevation(which is a fact), not to mention modifications and driving habits, not really an opinion of mine either.

The way that I modify my car has mostly to do with the climate I live in (mostly desert and typical high winds). Not discrediting your research or facts that you have gathered from other people. Mostly sharing my experiences with people that live in comparable weather to what I'm use to.

Is there really much use in modding a older LGT? I would just keep it clean and stock and reliable. If you want to make it fast swap in a wrx motor and trans. The car looks great how it is.

^^ did you remove the snorkus from the fender liner? i felt a little more responsiveness once i finally removed that nearly useless thing..

where did those come from?

although I wouldn't imagine there would be too much of a difference with the extra .3L displacement and a couple more cams on that dyno, nothing to brag about anyways. I do, however, remember reading some drawn out thread that says it's more beneficial to use the OEM 'slinky' type intake pipe due to the airflow and decreased resistance into the IM

as far as sways, the OEM Tribeca 25mm is awesome... as long as you're running a 20+mm rear sway, but the bar and bushings bolt right up without a problem and its <$100

and idk what happened to the aftermarket parts sticky but its replacement got absolutely butchered.

so here's a link to one that isn't clouded with opinions and misinformation: (although some links are probably dead)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/second-gen-aftermarket-parts-and-upgrade-guide-superceded-147261.html

removing the snorkus in the fender liner is what directly causes the MAF error/spike.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

Is there really much use in modding a older LGT? I would just keep it clean and stock and reliable. If you want to make it fast swap in a wrx motor and trans. The car looks great how it is.

Not really much support for them, i dont think the legacy was dreamed up for race...that's what the impreza is for. I modify my legacy for efficiency and reliability, all the mods I have (which are few), gave me a cheaper car to drive, of course who doesn't like a peppier car, those mods gave me that too...should I choose to punch it on a mountain road. My car gets 28 miles per gallon in the city in 100 degree weather. If I wanted a track car I would go get an sti. A lot of work would have to go into a legacy to make it safe and reliable on the track like an still in my opinion:)

cliche saying subarus are like legos but its true, especially in Japan, where these cars had a HUGE amount of aftermarket support, when these came into the US, they lost virtually all of the cool shit that comes from the factory in JDMland..

and thats just specific oem upgrades, chassis across all subaru platforms until recently are relatively minimal in difference, an incredibly suprising amount of impreza, sti, even tribeca stuff will fit on these with not much modification, if any.. that means sways, motors, springs, seats, etc..

i see, i wonder if plugging the hole it leaves in the fender would be enough to even it out

no, you need the snorkus. its shaped weird as hell for a reason. does its job.

no, you need the snorkus. its shaped weird as hell for a reason. does its job.

There is resonance that takes place without the snorkus that is probably the cause of that MAF spike & it WILL throw a CEL in some circumstances.

However, I have an intake very much like the intake that you've mentioned & shown a dyno graph for.

The hybrid is possibly the absolute best intake for our engines in terms of gaining all around power where it's needed.

Imagine the intake ports opened up a little more for better flow. There is a guy on my FB list who pulled off 139whp from intake & exhaust mods on a stock 25D. You can squeeze some N/A power out out of these engines. It's all a matter of doing it the right way.

Yes. Focus your efforts on the suspension & the braking system. Just putting money into those 2 alone will produce a car that puts it's power down a lot better & handles much more responsively not to mention increase the reliability (if you don't abuse it.) & fuel efficiency. If the car has less wasted power while getting up to speed, it will use even less power maintaining a steady speed.

cliche saying subarus are like legos but its true, especially in Japan, where these cars had a HUGE amount of aftermarket support, when these came into the US, they lost virtually all of the cool shit that comes from the factory in JDMland..

and thats just specific oem upgrades, chassis across all subaru platforms until recently are relatively minimal in difference, an incredibly suprising amount of impreza, sti, even tribeca stuff will fit on these with not much modification, if any.. that means sways, motors, springs, seats, etc..

I didn't think Subaru would have more crossover parts than honda, I didn't know before that you could take a front sway bar off a 2006 tribeca and slap it on a 95 legacy and have a hell of an upgraded swaybar...I think that is totally cool. I know in Japan its about manufacturing efficiency and cost effectiveness, it works both ways for manufacturer and consumer.

Stock brakes work fine if they are maintained I just got the steel braided lines. Im fine with the stock springs on my car I could use some KYB's soon though. I just look at the LGT as more of a daily driver I use it for point A to point B. Maybe later on when I replace it with something else and I get extra cash ill fix it up for a fun car that rarely gets driven. Right now I just want it to last me a long time and be another subaru with well over 200k. Im at 150k now almost.

To have a reliable daily is why I bought my Subaru for...I got mine for 1300 from an old man who used to drag it behind his motorhome on a small trailer. All I wanted was ssmething to drive when I was building my poormans civic type r. The worm turned and I sold my civic to fix the Subaru.

DOHC is right should you choose to build your car a bit, the simplest modifications done in the correct order you will have a reliable and pretty fun car to drive...suspension mods are typically a great starting point.

You have a great base my friend. First thing to do...maintenance!!!! Get that thing tuned up, maintain it, and seal her up. Then start toying around.

I agree do the hybrid intake, suspension upgrades, and ss lines. Don't forget the master cylinder brace, its helps. JDM fogs, headlights, and grille set you apart.

Archived