LegacyGT.com

2 possible bent wheels?

I have a 05 LGT, and I recently noticed a shimmy in my steering wheel when driving 55-80 mph, I immediately thought it was a balance issue. I had NTB balance all four of my wheels and I got an alignment done, just to be safe. The problem lessened slightly, So I took it back about a week later to get it re-balanced. One of their employees told me that he double checked the balance job and that 2 of my wheels seem to be bent. I don't recall hitting anything (potholes) with excessive force. I do live in Pennsylvania, though, so 2 wheels just bending out of nowhere could be possible. The shimmy in my wheel is almost gone, but I can still notice it somewhat at higher speeds. My question to all of you is:

1. Should I spend the 120 dollars per wheel and replace both of them?

2. Should I try and find a shop to see if they can be fixed (if it is possible)?

Thanks all

Personally, I would move the 2 suspected "bent" wheels to the rear, and see if the steering wheel smooths out. This does 2 things..

- gives you time to make the decision you posted

- confirms that it is infact an issue with the wheels, and not a early development of a bearing issue, which these cars are very well known for.

I didn't know bad wheel bearings could cause that issue. Is there any other signs of wheel bearings need replacing? I'll try your suggestion tomorrow morning seeing as I work all night, and I'll keep you posted.

Also wanted to put in that my tires aren't losing any air, and I heard that if your wheel is bent the tire will slowly leak. I don't know how accurate that is, though.

Archived