LegacyGT.com

Dangerous Cylinder Trims in 5th gen LGT's

Tuning Alliance

Well after reviewing the fifth generation legacy tunes (stock and cobb), I noticed there is still timing being added to cylinder #4. Although the idea may be to concentrate knock to that cylinder, I do not believe it to be beneficial. Perhaps less than a degree may accomplish that, yet the tunes are adding over 2 degrees in some areas.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tune-safety-warning-05-06-cars-urgent-101428.html?t=101428&highlight=cylinder+trims

When I raised this issue in older legacy's, Cobb concluded that running negative timing in Cylinder 1 & 4 (dog leg cylinders) was the best solution.

All TA maps have this fix and I'm guessing that if you contact Cobb, they will revise there maps. Just like they did in revision 118 ;)

Also there is some additional timing in cylinders 2 & 4 on various newer WRX's and STi's.

Beware. Another great reason to run TA maps, we stay on top of these things.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Hi Mike, just want to let those who find this know, my ej257 is almost at 20,000 miles with your tune and still runs great.

Seems to be a lot of chatter about how bad the ej257 with the oem pistons in it.

Thanks for the great tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hi Mike, just want to let those who find this know, my ej257 is almost at 20,000 miles with your tune and still runs great.

Seems to be a lot of chatter about how bad the ej257 with the oem pistons in it.

Glad to hear it!:)

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but, so essentially the 5th gen oem tune is "dangerous" and we should go for a "stage 1" tune from TA or someone to get this advance taken care of?

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but, so essentially the 5th gen oem tune is "dangerous" and we should go for a "stage 1" tune from TA or someone to get this advance taken care of?

Yes, the stock tunes closed loop delay and additional cylinder #4 timing certainly increase the odds of knock incidents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

Same here, but I'm almost at 70k on Mike's Tune. Avg. 24 mpg.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Update, 30,000 miles on the ej257, still runs great, gets get mpg and plenty of power. The wagon is a blast from 70mph to 110mph in 4th gear.

25+mpg.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived