LegacyGT.com

what kind of rain x have you used before, or currently use?

I tried the new swipe and wipe treatment, but just had a few questions.

when I wipe with the clotch provided with the kit, it leaves a greasy layer on the winshield, is this normal? how am I supposed to get it off? or am I supposed to leave that on?

what kind of rain x have you used before, or currently use?

I tried the new swipe and wipe treatment, but just had a few questions.

when I wipe with the clotch provided with the kit, it leaves a greasy layer on the winshield, is this normal? how am I supposed to get it off? or am I supposed to leave that on?

Wipe with a damp cloth then a dry cloth till all film is gone

1. Sprinkle RainX onto Screen.

2. Use cloth to move around equally on the screen.

3. Allow to dry for a few mins, a haze will appear.

4. Sprinkle water on the screen and remove with clean cloth until crystal clear.

5. Repeat Steps 2-4 again for better results if it is the first time in a while u have done it.

Ada///M.

4. Sprinkle water on the screen and remove with clean cloth until crystal clear.

5. Repeat Steps 2-4 again for better results if it is the first time in a while u have done it.

Ada///M.

+1 That sounds exactly like my technique. I apply RainX to the glass before I wash the car. Then after the car is washed I wash the windows and that takes off the haze. If you don't do it this way then you usually end up with streaks and glare. I haven't found a better way to use it yet.

Warning: It is a fact that the use of RainX will shorten the life of your wiper blades a bit. Probably by about 25%. However, even knowing that I still use RainX on all my windows on both cars. I just replace my wiper blades a little more often than the average bear. The good news is that I don't need to use them as much anyway, so it's not an issue.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

wha??? RainX lasts much longer than a couple weeks. I don't think I have ever gotten less than 4 or 5 months out of it. However, if you are using the crap in the spray bottle then I agree it is garbage. Use the stuff in the squirt bottle. The spray stuff is absolute shit.

Aquapel is a better product than RainX, but at over $20 bucks per application at most detail shops it isn't worth it. RainX does the exact same thing and costs waaaaaay less. You used to be able to get Aquapel off the shelf. It was called the STP Vision Blade. Exact same thing as Aquapel. Sometimes you can find Aquapel on ebay though. It's worth looking for. I'd never pay $20 bucks for an application of it though.

EDIT: If you do find Aquapel on the web somewhere then make sure it isn't super old stuff. The problem with the way it is applied is that the product is in a glass tube in the middle of the applicator. You break the tube and the product comes out the blade. Anyway, it's kind of hard to explain, but a lot of old stock will have applicators that are already broken and drained. Search for Aquapel and not the Vision Blade. You have a better chance of not getting busted applicators that way.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That's my problem with rain-x It works great but just for week or two.

apply 2 to 4 coats worth and they last way more than 3 months.. I usually dont even turn on my wipers because I drive fast enough where the water doesnt have a chance to sit, it just skims right off..

Keefe

Warning: It is a fact that the use of RainX will shorten the life of your wiper blades a bit. Probably by about 25%. However, even knowing that I still use RainX on all my windows on both cars. I just replace my wiper blades a little more often than the average bear. The good news is that I don't need to use them as much anyway, so it's not an issue.

I'm surprised that you believe that RainX shortens wiper blade life. My experience has been the exact opposite. I've used RainX on 6 or 7 cars and the wiper blades all have worked for longer than the 12-15 months that they usually lasted without RainX. I'm convinced that the RainX reduces drag (and wear) on the wiper blade and makes it a lot easer to remove the remaining water. Of course, I am careful to never get any liquid RainX on the blades themselves. It should only be applied to glass and then wiped until it is completely clear using a damp cloth before the wiper is allowed back onto the glass.

I have noticed that the wiper blades do "wear-off" the RainX since the area of the windshield under the blades looses the "RainX effect" way before the rest of the windshield. I do clean the wiper blades using windsheld washer fluid and a paper towel whenever they get at all dirty. Also, I always dump the cheap, blue washer fluid and only use the RainX brand orange windshield washer fluid. It seems to make the RainX treatment last a lot longer.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

hey, I'm with you guys. I don't really notice a whole lot of difference with the wiper blades either. of course, i've been using RainX since 95 and don't really have a basis for comparison on life spans, but I do end up needing to replace my wipers every year in order to keep the blades on the glass. I've been told it is because the RainX is shortening the lifespan of the rubber. I guess after reading the ingredients of RainX I can understand how it could cause the rubber to wear out faster, but it hasn't ever been a problem. Obviously Legacy wiper blades will wear out fast anyway, but I'm sure having RainX on didn't help. My wipers were streaking 6 months after I got the car.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, but if you do notice that your wiper blades don't last as long with RainX then that is probably why. Aquapel doesn't have this problem with wiper blades, so it is a better choice if you locate some. That's not just me talking either. Go over on Autopia or Meguiar's Online or Detail City or any of the other detailing boards and they'll tell you the same thing. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought I'd mention it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I've also been using RainX for a long time, and the only thing that kills it is the use of the wipers. I like to put it on before a long trip, and if I'm on the interstate and it rains, there's no need to use the wipers over 45 mph.

One thing I'll do, though, it that I don't "layer" RainX. I'll clean the windshield with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol before I reapply it. This has worked very well for me.

Ron

when you apply the rain x, then clean the glass till there's no film on it, isn't that pretty much just taking off all the rain x?

uhhhh.......no.

If you read da directions ...that's exactly what it says to do. If you wax your car and then wipe off all the film, does it take off all the wax?

I hate rainX or any product like that on the windshield. I love it on the side and rear glass though.

I just use the PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades. They leave a layer of silicone on the glass that has the same effect as rainX, but without the horrible wipey mess you get when you do actually use the wipers.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I hate rainX or any product like that on the windshield. I love it on the side and rear glass though.

I just use the PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades. They leave a layer of silicone on the glass that has the same effect as rainX, but without the horrible wipey mess you get when you do actually use the wipers.

Where does one purchase these blades? I'm a rainX fan myself, here in the Pac NW that stuff is really beneficial. However, I'd love to give those blades a try.

+1 for me, too.

I love RainX on the side and rear (and external rearview mirrors) - it'll even take care of relatively light and "flaky" snowfall to the point where I don't even have to clear the glass when I just run into the store for a quick errand. Same goes if I ever park outside and there's a concern for AM dew/condensation...most times, enough water will build-up that it just ends up beading off, no need even for the deroster/defogger. :) It's also great for city-speed driving, where the side and rear windows can really get layered-on with rain, otherwise.

As for the front, I'm also using the PIAA wipers, and they do an admirable job. The problem with my driving is that 5 days out of the week, it's surface-streets with 35-MPH speed-limits that are harshly enforced, so I actually truly "need" my wipers to work, and RainX seems to be counterproductive when paired with such (not so much streaking as chattering) - on the highway, I've actually found that the silicone "deposited" by the PIAA blades are actually sufficient at speeds greater than 55 MPH to either turn off the wipers, or use them to further enhance vision.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 year later...

Ada///M.

I love it.... I guess down under they call it a screen...

What do you call the door that sits in front of the actual front door.

Here in north america we call it the SCREEN DOOR.

Archived