LegacyGT.com

2005 GT Limited. I need help!

First of all let me apologize in advance. I don't appreciate when someone comes on line and says "I need help fast!". But I need help fast. :redface: I was leaving town today and heard some weird noise.

Made it back to my local shop (not a specialty shop) and the noise is bearing noise from the turbo. Turbo is toast. I can get a replacement from the dealer OR I can take this opportunity to upgrade.

I will of course change the oil and will do a long over due timing belt too - 136K miles. This is my daily driver/commuter and I have been taking it super easy on it since about 100K since I knew the timing belt needed doing. I have done zero upgrades/mods to this car as it was my wife's. She got the new car and I got this one. Typical, eh?

What I need to know is, what else should I do while I'm at it and can anyone recommend a turbo upgrade that is affordable? The dealers price on a replacement is $971. I would like to spend a little more and get more power. 50-80HP would be fine... I am not building it up to hot rod, just to get a little more power if I can.

I would appreciate any guidance, leads and advice. FYI I am in the Houston area if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

You've been "taking it super easy" for approximately 36k miles because the TB needs changing...? What's the point?

If the bearing(s) in your turbo went, it's possible that it spewed bits of material into your motor, at which point you could have motor damage. When you drain the oil, carefully inspect it for any bearing material (bits of metal, metal flakes, etc). If you find that in the oil it's pretty bad news.

For a turbo, you'll probably be quite happy with a BNR 16g and an aftermarket downpipe--should easily get you the extra power that you're looking for. You'll also want to replace your stock up pipe with a non-catted one.

All of that said, if you're the type of person to push of a maintenance item like a timing belt job for 25k miles, you really shouldn't be modding one of these cars--it most likely will end poorly for you.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The point is I knew it was stretching it and didn't want to cause any damage. What can I say... I had some major medical issues and money was tight. They have past and I am able now. Thanks for your insight into what I shouldn't and shouldn't be doing though. Obviously you know me. :rolleyes:

• Moderators
The point is I knew it was stretching it and didn't want to cause any damage. What can I say... I had some major medical issues and money was tight. They have past and I am able now. Thanks for your insight into what I shouldn't and shouldn't be doing though. Obviously you know me. :rolleyes:

I don't know you, only what you posted. I DO know these cars though--take my advice or leave it. I gave you sound advice on how to inspect things for serious motor damage and also for getting the additional power you want.

Wish you the best of luck with whatever direction you choose to go and will happily continue to give advice and opinions, as will others I'm sure.

Thank you Mr. Bean. What your knowledge is and what your experience has been is really very much appreciated but I don't need your advice about what I should and shouldn't be doing BECAUSE you don't know me. Fair enough?

You need to find out if the compressor blades have hit the housing.

My turbo went at 142,000 miles, had lots of shaft play but not metal in the oil.

You should replace yours with a BNR16g

You'll need to get the car tuned, which you should do any ways because the stock MAP is the best.

BMB is pretty smart about this stuff, he's also very helpful on here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes I know about the tune, thank you. I have already found a local company to take care of that after the mechanical work is done. I just hope to be able to choose & obtain parts quickly since this is my daily driver.

Thank you Mr. Bean. What your knowledge is and what your experience has been is really very much appreciated but I don't need your advice about what I should and shouldn't be doing BECAUSE you don't know me. Fair enough?

Seem like this is rather foolish since you're asking for advice. People like you I don't like to help. Always bites me.

Fair enough rob. His comments about what I should and shouldn't do just rubbed me the wrong way. Have nothing to do with my questions and make huge assumptions about me that are incorrect. I don't see it as foolish to tell anyone what I need since I am asking, nor to tell anyone what I don't need - since I am asking.

But let me say, I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot here. Mr Bean's remarks just irked me. I am open and willing to hear what anyone has to say and will take anything that comes along with it. Maybe I was being over sensitive since I am stressed out over all this happening as I was headed out of town for Christmas. My apologies if I was out of line.

The BNR16g comes from Brian who owners the BNR16g company, You can get him from the thread in the powertrain forum.

Do you need a DP, and up pipe if your car is a 05-06 ?

There's a lot of info and history about these cars on here. To bad you just found us.

You could have been better prepared.

If you need any more help, just ask.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 on the 16g.

you'll want to invest in a downpipe (think CNT is the reigning cheapest) and catless UP (used STI cheapest) at the same time and then tune.

also order a new turbo oil return line, IPT turbo oil feed line, new exhaust gaskets (recommend grimmspeed or factory) for both sides of the UP and the turbo/DP, DP/CB gaskets, and a 3inch to 2.5 inch adapter if your using your stock CB exhaust and a 3in DP.

Sounds like you might have caught the turbo before it spewed metal into your oil system, but make sure you check the oil cooler as other have said. replace if there's metal in it, no way to clean.

Thanks Max... which thread in the Powertrain forum... there are lots of them. :) I too wish I had time to research this properly. This definitely has the potential to be a hige Eff up if I don't do things right.

FWIW I have built several fast cars, most recently a Lightning at over 500 RWHP. I know cars, I know hot rodding. I know boost. I dont know Subaru and I have never had a turbo, so this area is new to me. And thank you too Chato... that is just the know-how I was hoping for. Hopefully keep me from making any more expensive mistakes.

I also have another question if anyone can tell me... I have seen several dyno sheets after new turbos but for some reason, no befores. What do these cars put to the wheels with the stock unit.

Thanks again!

Mark

OP: I will of course change the oil and will do a long over due timing belt too - 136K miles. This is my daily driver/commuter and I have been taking it super easy on it since about 100K since I knew the timing belt needed doing. I have done zero upgrades/mods to this car as it was my wife's. She got the new car and I got this one. Typical, eh?

What I need to know is, what else should I do while I'm at it and can anyone recommend a turbo upgrade that is affordable? The dealers price on a replacement is $971. I would like to spend a little more and get more power. 50-80HP would be fine... I am not building it up to hot rod, just to get a little more power if I can.

I would appreciate any guidance, leads and advice. FYI I am in the Houston area if that helps at all.

BMB: You've been "taking it super easy" for approximately 36k miles because the TB needs changing...? What's the point?

If the bearing(s) in your turbo went, it's possible that it spewed bits of material into your motor, at which point you could have motor damage. When you drain the oil, carefully inspect it for any bearing material (bits of metal, metal flakes, etc). If you find that in the oil it's pretty bad news.

For a turbo, you'll probably be quite happy with a BNR 16g and an aftermarket downpipe--should easily get you the extra power that you're looking for. You'll also want to replace your stock up pipe with a non-catted one.

All of that said, if you're the type of person to push of a maintenance item like a timing belt job for 25k miles, you really shouldn't be modding one of these cars--it most likely will end poorly for you.

OP: The point is I knew it was stretching it and didn't want to cause any damage. What can I say... I had some major medical issues and money was tight. They have past and I am able now. Thanks for your insight into what I shouldn't and shouldn't be doing though. Obviously you know me. :rolleyes:

BMB: I don't know you, only what you posted. I DO know these cars though--take my advice or leave it. I gave you sound advice on how to inspect things for serious motor damage and also for getting the additional power you want.

Wish you the best of luck with whatever direction you choose to go and will happily continue to give advice and opinions, as will others I'm sure.

OP: Thank you Mr. Bean. What your knowledge is and what your experience has been is really very much appreciated but I don't need your advice about what I should and shouldn't be doing BECAUSE you don't know me. Fair enough?

700 Watts: you'll need a tune too, never mind I'm out

Max Capacity:You need to find out if the compressor blades have hit the housing.My turbo went at 142,000 miles, had lots of shaft play but not metal in the oil. You should replace yours with a BNR16g

You'll need to get the car tuned, which you should do any ways because the stock MAP is the best.

BMB is pretty smart about this stuff, he's also very helpful on here.

OP: Yes I know about the tune, thank you. I have already found a local company to take care of that after the mechanical work is done. I just hope to be able to choose & obtain parts quickly since this is my daily driver.

THIS exchange is exactly why everyone that's been on these forums looks at some a new member with 3 posts and is almost to the point of just simply dismissing them whether or not their question is valid. Markbo comes on and instantly proceeds to tell EVERYONE here that he hates "I NEED HELP NOW" threads and then goes further to say that he does virtually no maintenance to the car, has been "taking it super easy" since about 100K because of no maintenance, and then wants someone to simply hold his hand and "guide" him into the promised land of "spend a little more and get more power. 50-80 HP would be fine". THEN OP goes on to quote $971.00 for a new turbo as being too much. Simple to do, JUST 50-80 HP would be fine for under $971.00.

Mike (BNB) was extremely pleasant, helpful in trying to guide, and simply stated the facts that the maintenance (TB 36K past it's useful life) was incredibly important. He said NOTHING derogatory, nor did he even slam this OP about there being about 2000 threads about upgrades and where to go next-he simply chose to go the diplomatic route and try to welcome this "new" member into the fold by giving helpful advice.

WELL.....OP Markbo was having NONE of that. OBVIOUSLY, Mike had absolutely NO right to even address the fact that the car is basically abused in maintenance and that "Obviously you know me.:rolleyes:". AGAIN, Mike comes back simply with information about his experience, and ADVICE which the OP asked for in the original post, and then summarily dismisses after Mike's first post. When the SECOND post by BMB is put up, he stated that he gave sound advice, which he could have backup on the comments by, say, oh, about 10,000 people on here or so, and even wished OP Markbo "best of luck with whatever direction you choose to go and will happily continue to give advice and opinions, as will other's I'm sure."

OP Markbo at this point must be fuming at how on earth someone from these forums could possibly even know ANYTHING AND be nice about it to him even though he's working hard at being caustic. He then completely dismisses Mike with "I don't need your advice about what I should and shouldn't be doing BECAUSE you don't know me. Fair enough?"which is EXACTLY what the OP asked for in the original post.

Further on, 700 Watts interjects quickly, giving sound advice, with "you'll need a tune too, never mind I'm out" because he could already see that this OP was an idiot. Max Capacity also reiterated the fact that the car would need to be tuned as well as other sound information and was basically shut down by OP Markbo. Even Rob-2 said it best after reading the entire threadline up to his own post which quotes BMB and his advice "Seem like this is rather foolish since you're asking for advice. People like you I don't like to help. Always bites me" and for that matter, everyone else that tries to help someone like this OP Markbo.

Max continues to try to help, Chato also tries to help, and the OP Markbo spews about how "FWIW I have built several fast cars, most recently a Lightning at over 500 RWHP. I know cars, I know hot rodding. I know boost. I dont know Subaru and I have never had a turbo, so this area is new to me" which from reading his posts, I highly doubt.

THIS is EXACTLY why people on these forums with any knowledge is getting to the point that they hate to impart information to a new member who is unwilling to even look at anything but figures out how to post a thread and then apologizes because of his innate stupidity by trying to sound as though he knows something.

PLEASE, SEARCH THE THREADS, AND BE RESPECTFUL TO MEMBERS WHO ARE OFFERING YOU ADVICE.

Edited: Well unfortunately Jm, I think you have your facts wrong. But you have your right to your opinion. I know the search feature would be best, but I have mentioned that time is of the essence and thought this would get me good information, quickly. I just don't have the time to spend days & seeks doing what would have been the right way to do it.

I spent years on CamaroZ28.com building up my TA. I spent years on Houston Area Lightning Owners building up my Lightning and years in the garage working on my own cars. I know what would have been best if I had the luxury. Unfortunately for me I do not. So I'm sorry if my thread offends you.

Thank you again to everyone who responded.

OP apologized. Back on the right track. keep this on topic or it gets shut down.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I can't begin to emphasize the importance of this.

PAY TO PLAY.

I'm sorry OP, but you don't even seem to be willing to pay to just get by and make sure your car doesn't destroy itself. (i.e. timing belt)

If you're not willing to shell out the money for basic necessary and preventative maintenance, you're going to be in for a heap of trouble if you start modding.

That being said, you are bone stock in terms of hardware. If you are looking to do things on the cheap, just go get a used VF40 in good condition and catless UP and be done with it and replace your timing belt too. Because if you're complaining about $971, you're really going to be complaining about an upgraded turbo, catless UP, HFC/catless DP, tune+Tactrix cable or AP+OTS Stage 2, BPing/replacing your TMIC, religiously checking oil, etc. etc. etc.

I think the main point here is that the OP is in a bit over his head and is having to catch up quick.

The best bet here would be to try and find him a reputable tuner that can walk him through all the modding options.

OP- you should add your model year, mod stage, transmission and most of all, your location, in your profile at the side of the page.

He's in the Houston area, anybody know any reputable shops in those parts?

Wow...what a thread.

I have a BNR-16g

I needed the following for smooth proper installation

Up Pipe (Catless)

Down Pipe (went with a Catted, but you don't have to)

-4 High flow oil supply line and return,

10 micron inline oil filter,

Oil Supply relocation kit (Feed turbo from AVCS)

Pro Tune (COBB AP with good e-tune, takes more time though)

This place is for finding help, this is a good group of people.

I understand time constraints issue, but upgrading a turbo and supporting modifications shouldn't be rushed IMO

OP - There's some very simple things that seasoned veterans, with a lot experience in Subaru turbo engines, have provided you above - you'd do well to read them and heed them.

Beyond that, don't let this thread devolve into a point/counter-point. Keep it constructive going forward.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
Edited: Well unfortunately Jm, I think you have your facts wrong. But you have your right to your opinion. I know the search feature would be best, but I have mentioned that time is of the essence and thought this would get me good information, quickly. I just don't have the time to spend days & seeks doing what would have been the right way to do it.

I spent years on CamaroZ28.com building up my TA. I spent years on Houston Area Lightning Owners building up my Lightning and years in the garage working on my own cars. I know what would have been best if I had the luxury. Unfortunately for me I do not. So I'm sorry if my thread offends you.

Thank you again to everyone who responded.

I'm sorry you were apparently so offended by my post, but please read it again. I gave you very sound advice that went well beyond the scope of what you were actually asking for. I also provide this advice within 7 minutes of you asking the question. Time is of the essence, well I think I provide there. For not wanted to make folks angry by being "that guy", you certainly know how to piss folks off and could have simply said "thanks".

To put my point of view in a very clear place, how about this: I don't like watching people get stuck in a situation where they needlessly are forced to spend upwards of half the value of their car to replace a destroyed motor. One thing that can destroy these motors is a fail timing belt. These vehicles have interference engines and when the belt, pulley, whatever goes they rip themselves to pieces. Also, when the turbos go on these things it's not often JUST the turbo, it's another cause. If you just replace the turbo and you're lucky, the same issue will simply cause the new turbo to blow and you'll be back where you started--if you're unlucky you'll be out looking for a brand new shortblock as well and will likely be signing a $5-7k check to get the car back on the road.

I tried to help. Now go change your timing belt, and FWIW, you want a Gates TCK328 kit and an OEM waterpump.

Archived