LegacyGT.com

Brake pads for driving school - 2011 LGT

stingray1967

Hey fellas,

I've done some reading, and it looks like EBC Yellow Stuff and CarboTech 60 (something) are a couple of good brake pad types for track use.

I'm looking for a pad (probably getting fronts only) that will provide some serious stopping power. The track I run on gets up to 140 mph or so and then hauls down to 30-45 mph.

Last year, when I went there with my stock setup, my brakes were pretty much done after the first day.

My plan is to swap the stock fluid with ATE Superblue, and get a great set of track pads. I'll put the pads on before going to the track, use em, and take em off again and put by stock pads on for street use.

I found EBC Yellow Stuff pads for sale here for $136 plus shipping.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0A3473576.aspx#community

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?

Thanks.

Others will weigh in on this, I'm sure.

140 to 30-45? how many times per lap? how laps per session? how many sessions? With that kind of braking, you may want to step up to aftermarket rotors as well as track pads. Get front & rears, bed them in well before using them on the track.

The other option is dont go 140. Go 100-110. Driving schools are not about flatout speed (or shouldnt be). You learn more with a slower end of straightaway speed by working on the corners. Been there done that, my times were faster going max of 110 and raising my corner speeds, than running flatout on the straight.

Work on braking less and carrying more speed into the corners, you'll go faster. If you are too fast, a bit of trail brake will keep you in control.

Look in motorsports forum for more on tracking your car.

GLW your school. Very addictive. :-)

Just once per lap on that kind of speed reduction (turn 3). Maybe not quite 140, but well over 100. BIR in Brainerd MN, the competition course. Basically, the track is 50/50, high speed/slow speed.

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/images/stories/grounds/maps/25roadcourse_505.gif

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/track-info/25-mile-track/105-25-mile-track.html

About 6 laps per session, about 4 sessions per day for two days.

Understood on the points about speed and braking.

I use Hawk HPS with oem blanks. 140 - 60 once every 1:50, 30 minutes a session. I didnt get fade until the very end. Pads have lasted 5 track days plus 3000 miles of street driving, including a 90 minute session where the rotors were glowing (fade was evident and braking distances were about double).

That said I see your point. Trackout of Turn 1 to turnin on Turn 3 looks like higher speeds. With that setup, I've got no suggestions for you. Ask AZP Installs - they have run road courses all over. They believe in Hawk pads and DBA rotors (I think).

Have you thought about a more intermediate pad?

When my LGT goes to the track, I change from Hawk HPS to Hawk HP+ pads so that way I can drive to and from the track without having to swap anything at the track itself. I'm still a novice myself but I've used these pads at Lime Rock, Summit Point, NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning and with some fresh fluid (ATE blue or yellow, whatever they're called, I can't remember off the top of my head) I don't think I've really experienced true brake fade even towards the end of the day after multiple sessions.

slimjoe, I want a pretty aggressive pad, and I'll use it just for that track day. I can swap pads myself (have jack, will travel).

boxkita, thanks for the info on the HP+. I checked TireRack last year and they didn't have anything for the 2010+ LGT, but now they do. $135 per set.

Any comments on the Yellow Stuff pads? Has anyone used those for track day events?

You seemed fixated on the Yellow Stuff pads. At this point, I would suggest you buy them, put them on, bed them good, then run a day. Record your lap times and the remaining thickness of the pads. Compare to your previous set. If better on both counts, it was worth it. If not, look for a new solution.

If you have a phone that supports one of the laptimer apps (with g-force meter) like iphone, winphone, android, run it the entire time. You'll be able to match brake feel with actuality. If the deceleration doesnt stay consistent lap after lap, you're getting fade.

• Moderators
You seemed fixated on the Yellow Stuff pads. At this point, I would suggest you buy them, put them on, bed them good, then run a day. Record your lap times and the remaining thickness of the pads. Compare to your previous set. If better on both counts, it was worth it. If not, look for a new solution.

If you have a phone that supports one of the laptimer apps (with g-force meter) like iphone, winphone, android, run it the entire time. You'll be able to match brake feel with actuality. If the deceleration doesnt stay consistent lap after lap, you're getting fade.

Science, right there. Love it. You can't argue with real data--get it if you can.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I wouldn't say I'm fixated. Rather, that is a brake pad that I have done a little reading on.

At the end of the day, I'm open to any and all suggestions, as I have never run a track pad.

Archived