LegacyGT.com

HID Kits?

I just got my 09' Legacy and already know that the factory lighting just isn't enough. Is it possible to just buy 2 HID kits to replace both the Low (H7 Projectors) and the Halogen 9005 Hi's. Read a lot of different things and its just confusing me. From the sounds of it you need aftermarket headlight assemblies or the HID's will melt the factory ones. Any Help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.

You'll find most people don't do a HID high beam. Just as they start to kind of warm up, off they go again.

You won't melt anything. 55W HIDs supposedly run cooler than stock.

HID retrofits are nice but completely unnecessary unless you are a serious lighteofile.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

HID'stake a few seconds to warm up, so unless you are highway cruising through no-man's land, you won't want HID hi's. I've got 6k HID's from Subimods (vendor list) and are real happy with those. I'll probably just upgrade my bulbs for fogs and highs in the next 2-3 weeks. If you do a search, you'll find many opinions, including many extolling the value of just upgrading your bulbs instead of going the HID route. It all comes down to what you want for (1) lighting performance and (2) personal style. Read up, choose and enjoy.

I'm not runnin a leggy with you guys, but I installed 8000k HIDs in my 08 Imp last week. I love them! although, occasionally, I do have issues with one of the lights not working on startup, but it hasnt been too serious an issue. Much better than stock lighting!

Keep in mind as you go up in temperature, 4300, 6000, 8000, you loose visible light output [more blue/purple doesn't translate so great onto the road]. When I get mine i'm going with 4300, my last car was around 4300 from the factory and it was great, I changed out to 6000 and while it was a little more 'blue/purple' it seemed like I lost some brightness at night.

I'm a pretty strong believer in NOT putting HIDs in a non projection housing, unless you do it correctly and get the bulbs w/ the built in cutoff shield and aim them appropriately. Most people just throw a kit in there, resulting in light output that is very "messy" and is an annoyance to oncoming traffic.

http://www.atifprince.net/xtremehid/images/Colortemp.jpg

I'm a pretty strong believer in NOT putting HIDs in a non projection housing, unless you do it correctly and get the bulbs w/ the built in cutoff shield and aim them appropriately. Most people just throw a kit in there, resulting in light output that is very "messy" and is an annoyance to oncoming traffic.

You're not talking about the Legacy, right? 05+ has projectors, and high beams are supposed to blind the heck out of everything.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You're not talking about the Legacy, right? 05+ has projectors, and high beams are supposed to blind the heck out of everything.

I know it has projectors, that's where i'll put my Xenons.. I'm saying I wouldn't use them for a high beam unless it was in a projector housing... and even then maybe not be because of the need to flash, that is one complaint I had about my TL.. It fired up the xenons for a 3 second flash, pretty useless.

High beams are intended to be brighter than low beams and are an annoyance to oncoming traffic, however they were not put in cars to blind the heck out of everything. Putting a xenon system in place of a standard reflector halogen based system will usually have shitty results with bad cutoff - if you don't do it right, or change the housing.

I have a 55W 5000K set-up and I have come to realize that my high beams have basically become useless. Although my HID's are aimed correctly they are much brighter and clearer then the high's. Honest benefit from the highs is the shoulder visibility when watching for animals but still, the HID's are bright as heck!

Karl

I have an 03 Legacy, and have HIDs on on both my low/high beams. 4300k/6000k. I barely use my high beams, since ppl tell me its way too bright, and just blinds everyone coming at me. I also have 3000k HIDs for my fog, which I especially love!! The yellow more time than the 4300k to light up, but I strongly recommend HID fog lights, especially if you have projectors. I have a retrofit projector on my car, and the fogs help a lot.

Also on a side note, I recommend the digital ballasts since the start up time is a little shorter, and they both have the same quality. Dont get the cheap HIDs though, too much time and trouble sending and resending everything when things dont work. Thats how my 1 year warranty was cut off, I just sent broken ballasts back and forth for 1 year, with my money. Thats when I decided not to get HIDs online anymore...

I forgot the name, but search a little, and there's a really nice upgrade to the stock high beams that is a lot brighter, and isn't HID. If you want it/need it, search around a bit.

We're all saying the same thing in a different way.

For high beams, I flash people never, and love the extra light on the empty back roads, but this can be accomplished without HIDs. So same thing.

I would go for the HID kits, since silverstars arent too different from the stock ones. Also for your high beams, I wanted to say you could try LEDs, since they arent as bright as HIDs, but will give you the same color. I personally think LED high beams look REALLY GOOD!

But since LEDs will have a lower voltage, I dont know if you would have to disable your DRL.

after reading these posts and few searches, i like the silver stars ultra for my 08 LGT low beam but it costs $50 a pair vs a $50 HID kit from www.tophidkits.com...confuse???

Link broken. Make sure the kit doesn't have a high failure rate. Some do.

• 4 months later...
http://www.tophidkits.com/ Just buy it here and get the lifetime warranty. its plug and play just get the H7 for the low and 9005 for high. You'll have to buy two kits since you want High and low.

Do legacy's need that relay harness that is an option from that website? I had an 05 WRX that i had put HID's in and it didnt require any type of relay harness..so just wondering if the legacy's need it?

Thanks in advance!

I would. Looking at the site you quoted, it looks like the very little amount of money for their relay kit is worth it for the peace of mind. I have a harness kit and have never had an issue with a light not firing up right away in the 2 years I've had it. There was an issue with a loose connection, but that's a different story.

Archived