LegacyGT.com

NEW Member 2005 LGT Project

Hey guys,

So the story goes like this...

I recently found and bought a Legacy gt 2005 with more than decent interior, non-working motor, rebuilt title(was just hit on the front driver side, the rest was perfectly fine). It has around 64,000 miles on the clock and engine. I had been looking around for something like this to come up but all the subies i found were either 90s or just out of the budget for me. I bought the car off a guy who bought the car back in 08 crashed and "fixed" the damage on the car. It didn't run at the time bc the hit had broken the timing belt and broke a piece of the intake pulley that runs one of the heads. Never the less, the guy bought Subaru genuine parts for all of his repairs(fortunately) and fixed the car but never got it running. I bought it for $2000 and the towing was about $120 all the way to my dads shop. We checked the timing of the engine the next day and tried to start it. When we checked the compression, we found out that the right bank of cylinders didn't maintain nor have any compression. At first glance we thought it was the heads. I took the engine out, built a small stand for it, gutted all the electronics from it and left just the heads, and any other timing related stuff. Today we took the valve covers off and tested the compression again. GOOD NEWS!

Apparently the guy who did the job didn't realize that these heads need to be properly calibrated and re-tested for compression. Any slight gap or calibration mistake can compromise the engines performance and reliability. Now we are on safe grounds, at first we thought we had to rebuild the whole engine but now its only a matter of calibrating it properly which my father is a master when it comes to doing things properly. I cleaned the interior (60% just the obvious stuff, no detailing yet) and the beige leather returned to its original softness and comfort. I've always loved these cars and wanted one so I took this opportunity bc it was a solid car and iv'e done these types of things of buying a non-running but good condition car before.

Some specs:

B25C block

B25 Heads(brand new, they have never seen exhaust gases lol)

VF40 turbo (should I replace or rebuild)

stock exhaust all the way through

stock suspension

Subaru 17" 5 spoke rims(in good condition)

MOMO steering wheel and shift knob

Here are some pictures for you guys:

lol yeah I just realized that!

Thanks for the info.

And I have it as a daily driver, its a fun car IMO, ive done a couple of things here and the to make it handle better, but I don't street race it or nothing like that. I like clean, well built and good handling cars(sometimes even fast), not riced out (my friends civic lol) but yeah you get the idea.

Archived