LegacyGT.com

LGT 5-speed has hill holder?

Hey all,

A hill-holder function was named as a feature of the Legacy on wikipedia, but it may have been referring to an earlier generation.

It stated that when the clutch pedal was depressed, the brake pedal did not need to be pushed as well to hold the car.

Is this still true today?

Thanks!

Joe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

That said if you are in traffic you dont need to use the gas *at all* to get the car moving slowly, just gently let the clutch out.

Just found this on some thread about a USA today review of the 08 impreza:

"•Clutch. Not the most forgiving device. Probably a non-issue to enthusiasts, but if you're inexperienced on a manual transmission, you'll kill the engine a few times before you get far enough up the learning curve to operate it gracefully. You'll be grateful for the hill-holder feature that comes with the manual. It keeps the car from rolling backward while you release the clutch and get rolling."

First off, wow, 3 responses in like 5 minutes. Nice :)

Second, a few cars out there have a hill holder feature. BMW 3-series for one. It applies the brake for ~2-3 seconds when on a hill to prevent rollback. I think it applies just enough pressure and then lets go when sensing forward motion.

Wikipedia mentioned it specifically in reference to an older Legacy I believe, but I thought I'd ask if the new one has it.

I did not think the LGT was one of those cars you could just let the clutch out on and it would begin moving forward. That typically requires more low-end torque.

Joe

Jeez guys. A car has a feature that reduces clutch slippage and e-brake overuse in hilly areas and you guys turn into snobs.

It's also useful for newbies and prolonging their clutch life. The Mini Cooper and the BMW 3-series have the feature; some other cars have had it as well (or do currently)

Anyway...I think it's a nifty "trinket" feature that you don't need but it's kinda cool that you do. Since my wife loves hearing about those nifty little things (She liked the umbrella holder built into the door on the Passat, for instance), I thought she'd like to hear about this.

Joe

Just found this on some thread about a USA today review of the 08 impreza:

"•Clutch. Not the most forgiving device. Probably a non-issue to enthusiasts, but if you're inexperienced on a manual transmission, you'll kill the engine a few times before you get far enough up the learning curve to operate it gracefully. You'll be grateful for the hill-holder feature that comes with the manual. It keeps the car from rolling backward while you release the clutch and get rolling."

Jeez guys. A car has a feature that reduces clutch slippage and e-brake overuse in hilly areas and you guys turn into snobs.

It's also useful for newbies and prolonging their clutch life. The Mini Cooper and the BMW 3-series have the feature; some other cars have had it as well (or do currently)

Anyway...I think it's a nifty "trinket" feature that you don't need but it's kinda cool that you do. Since my wife loves hearing about those nifty little things (She liked the umbrella holder built into the door on the Passat, for instance), I thought she'd like to hear about this.

Joe

So now I'm a snob because I know how to drive stick and your wife doesn't :confused:

Get her an auto so she wont have issues talking on the phone and driving :)

Wow, your a snob because you didn't read the post and, in your lack of reading, you take the opportunity to mock on something that didn't even apply. And your a snob for making fun of a car feature that actually can provide some benefit (i.e. reduced chance of clutch slipping)

My wife taught herself how to drive stick by buying a 5-speed years back, with no alternative means of travel. Now she won't drive anything else. She doesn't need hill holder, but she would think it was a nifty little thing that came with the car.

Joe

Wow, your a snob because you didn't read the post and, in your lack of reading, you take the opportunity to mock on something that didn't even apply. And your a snob for making fun of a car feature that actually can provide some benefit (i.e. reduced chance of clutch slipping)

My wife taught herself how to drive stick by buying a 5-speed years back, with no alternative means of travel. Now she won't drive anything else. She doesn't need hill holder, but she would think it was a nifty little thing that came with the car.

Joe

Relax Joe, people on this board are a bunch of jokers and like to push buttons a bit. Take anything you read with a grain of salt.

I know women seem to enjoy those little features more than we do, all I tend to care about is torque slamming my head into the headrest, oh yeah and comfy headrests ;)

Phil - back off or grow up.

The hill holder was offered on the '03 Forester also.

I got a chance to use it on a steep grade for a training event. It was actually a nifty feature.

It basically operates like this:

When you apply the brake, the fluid is under pressure. On a hill, there is a ball bearing that rolls back and closes a valve holding the pressure in the line to the brakes. This is somehow tied to the clutch (I don't remember how) so while the clutch is in, the hill holder is fine. Once you release the clutch, the valve is opened and you can proceed normally.

And yes, on a steep grade, it was a neat, if odd, feature.

Brady and Deimos - Thanks.

I've noticed there are some jokers. I figured calling him a snob the first time was a joke, and then his comment on my wife not knowing how to drive stick was moving into other territory :)

Personally, I don't have alot of hills or times when I have to use the e-brake. When I have, I tend to overuse it (i.e. I'm moving forward with the e-brake still on) since I rarely use it. So, for me, I'm not a big hill-ebraker.

But I'll tell you where it really comes in handy: winter. With a hill-holder feature, you can really give a very small throttle input on slippery hills. Maybe not a big deal with a AWD car, but definitely nice in RWD.

I've read that it's very easy to slip the LGT clutch on hills (a few professional reviewers mentioned this, including insideline's long term test). Maybe it's just a matter of inexperience with the car.

Joe

Phil - back off or grow up.

The hill holder was offered on the '03 Forester also.

I got a chance to use it on a steep grade for a training event. It was actually a nifty feature.

It basically operates like this:

When you apply the brake, the fluid is under pressure. On a hill, there is a ball bearing that rolls back and closes a valve holding the pressure in the line to the brakes. This is somehow tied to the clutch (I don't remember how) so while the clutch is in, the hill holder is fine. Once you release the clutch, the valve is opened and you can proceed normally.

And yes, on a steep grade, it was a neat, if odd, feature.

My point remains, hill holders are for people who don't know how to use the handbrake to do hill starts.

Go pick on someone your own size :lol:

Archived