LegacyGT.com

Mitsuboshi timing belts?

I bought a timing belt kit the other day and while I thought I was buying a Gates belt, it was actually a made in Thailand Mitsuboshi belt.

Now, this is my stupidity and not the fault of the vendor.

So I did some searching and learned that Mitsuboshi had made the stock belt in Hondas and Lexuses, and some Subaru Outbacks, but nothing else. I couldn't find anyone saying anything about them on a Subaru forum.

I just want a little more reassurance, can/should I use this belt, or should I order a Gates belt just to be safe?

I already ordered the kit with the Mitsuboshi belt. The belt looks fine, but honestly a belt is a belt, how am I supposed to know how it compares to a Gates?

I'm just asking if I should order another belt or use the one I got.

I already ordered the kit with the Mitsuboshi belt. The belt looks fine, but honestly a belt is a belt, how am I supposed to know how it compares to a Gates?

I'm just asking if I should order another belt or use the one I got.

Mitsuboshi is the OEM supplier of timing and drive belts for Subaru. For a very long time if you took the factory timing belt off and examined it you would see the Mitsuboshi name, logo, and part number i.e. TB307 / TB304 etc. Now I believe they (Subaru) are only putting the little triangle logo on them instead of letting them put the full name on.

So actually, you lucked into an OE belt instead of some other crap.

Archived