LegacyGT.com

Subaru Extra-S in DFW?

forestir

Anyone know where I could pick up some Extra-S gear oil in DFW? I just need enough for a 5MT fluid change. Tech writer at Subaru of Plano didn't know what I was talking about, so figure that's not where to get it. :spin:

a service writer wouldn't. Talk to Carrie in parts..oif he doesn't know ask him to get with Kyle or Carrie in the service bay.

other than that I will see what I can find elsewhere...maybe Keith and Mary can get some I'm not sure.

I use Silkolene

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I'll pursue that.

LowFast, did you feel if Extra-S made any difference? In cooler temps at start of day, I've had many times where I can't get into 1st even after complete stop. I can't imagine what folks in the North put up with until their transmissions warm up.

I can't imagine what folks in the North put up with until their transmissions warm up.

I used Redline gear oil for my transmission. Only ever had issues when it got really cold (meaning -20F or lower) but even then it would still work. Never had that problem with the LGT though, that was only an issue on the turbo RS. There was one time I couldn't get it into first gear but it was seriously cold, as in -35 or less, and it took a little while to get the transmission to warm up enough to force it into gear. I recall being thoroughly impressed that the engine turned over so well that morning though.

I have to think it isn't cool weather that is messing with your transmission.

I never have had issues getting into first, with or without the Extra-S. I do have certain times it is hard to get into reverse, but maybe at the most takes two tries. The gear box is slightly more quiet with the extra S than with the stock oil.

Archived