LegacyGT.com

Reinstalling the steering knuckle to strut

I took the steering knuckle off to replace ball joints and cv joints. When I removed the strut-to-knuckle bolts, the strut extended down (from spring pressure I assume). Now I'm having a difficult time getting the steering knuckle back into the slot on the strut. how is one to compress the strut to get it put back together? Am I missing something?

If anything, from my experience, the knuckle should easily fall further down than the strut. The strut is the only thing keeping the wheels from dropping further when you jack the car up. So it sounds like you don't have something disconnected. Is the swaybar still attached?

Also, you DID mark the angle of the top strut-to-knuckle nut right? Because that's how your alignment is done, lol.

• I Donated

Are you doing it in the drive way with only one side jacked up? If so, the sway bar is under torsion and you will NEVER get thing lined up until you disconnect the swaybar.

Actually, while we are talking about the swaybar....disconnect the endlinks regardless of if you have only one, or both sides jacked up. It will give you a little bit more travel with the lower control arm and make things a million times easier.....especially if its an Outback

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived