LegacyGT.com

Divorce experiment

DrCloud

I'm going to take my LGT.B in for the oil-line recall check and for its first service, and I'm going to have to deal with a couple of tanks of questionable gas, so I decided to un-install my AccessPort Stage 1 map for a while. Some observations:

Unlike other comments posted here, the process went completely smoothly, according to the book. Insert key, plug in AP and wait for it to boot up, turn on key without starting car, proceed. (No fooling with the green connectors, as this is an 08.) The OEM map wasn't offered as an AP option (unless it's the "economy mode"), so I went through the full uninstall. This is a bit of a nuisance, as re-installing will take twice as long (to store the OEM map and to reflash), like it did the first time. But it worked fine.

And, now back to "Stage 0", the best way I can think of to describe it is that it feels as if the car has grown somewhat taller gears all of a sudden. I like Stage 1 better. HPH

Fonts: Just to be as clear as possible for everyone, did you mess with the green connector? (I've read that it's unnecessary for 08s, but I don't recall seeing anything about 07s. And I may just try out the AP on our Outback XT.) Thanks, HPH

I did NOT have to deal with the green connectors. The 07s use CAN bus system and not necessary.

As for the OBXT - I'm not 100% sure. It is my understanding that all is exactly the same as the 07 LGTs.

Do you have an AP for the 08 SpecB that you'll unmarry and try on the 07 OBXT ????

Good luck.

Well, I may try it.

As I recall (and I definitely need to re-check this), it's the same AP2 for 07s and 08s, all Legacy-platform models, all transmissions. The AP recognizes the car and offers appropriate maps.

I think. HPH

The AP recognizes the car and offers appropriate maps.

That is correct. Latest version for CAN Bus vehicles is for:

08 WRX

08 STi

07-08 FXT

07-08 LGT

07-08 OBXT

You should have no issue at all. Problem is that with 1 AP you can only flash 1 car and the other will have to be stock.

^^Yep. Like the divorce experiment, I want to experiment with the OBXT to see how it responds to Stage 1 (because it's the 5EAT, it will be somewhat different, I expect).

In the long run, I'm thinking that I'll just use the AP on whichever car warrants it -- for road trips, for example, a switch might be in order.

There's the flash limitation, but it's a large enough number that I probably won't get there for quite some time. HPH

One good thing about having un-installed my AP (and reflashed to the OEM map in the process) is that the occasional hiccups on hard acceleration have gone away. I guess this is the much-discussed "stuttering" or whatever people call it -- and the reflash seems to have cured the problem.

This, then, is the home-made solution to the hiccups: borrow an AP, do the install and the un-install, and you're set. Of course, if you drive your car in the installed interval, you'll want your own.

So you might as well just buy one in the first place. :lol: HPH

OK, folks -- here's a "Nervous Nellie" question:

My AP2 recognized our 07 Outback XT (5EAT) as an 07 LGT (AT). At that point I chickened out.

Am I being overly cautious here? It wouldn't surprise me if the maps are the same for these models (the Outback being a raised-up Legacy GT Wagon, basically).

But I'd like some verification before I try it out. I mean, it's my wife's car, and I really don't want to be sleeping on the couch over this...:p HPH

Archived